Carter-Williams | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Carter-Williams

I heard about it on the old AOL board about 15 years ago.
Prodigy had it a year or two before that. Or was it Compuserve? Doesn't matter, I was on both. Bees can tell you.

I mean jeez...if I was MCW I'd be pretty upset at that. You followed the protocol and paid the fine, L&T decided not to press charges (it sounds the stuff he had totaled less than $100); how would you feel in that situation if JB decided to call them and essentially say "are you sure you don't want to press charges?"

Not suggesting JB call and ask them to consider pressing charges.

Rather, now that the true story appears to be coming out, and that national media is reporting it, it might behoove him to verify whether there really was a "misunderstanding", or whether MCW flat out lied to his coach and potentially made him look bad.

If the details as reported are true (i.e. shoving items into a bag) I can't imagine what the misunderstanding really was.

Not suggesting JB call and ask them to consider pressing charges.

Rather, now that the true story appears to be coming out, and that national media is reporting it, it might behoove him to verify whether there really was a "misunderstanding", or whether MCW flat out lied to his coach and potentially made him look bad.

If the details as reported are true (i.e. shoving items into a bag) I can't imagine what the misunderstanding really was.
The misunderstanding was that he got caught, according to sources. :rolleyes:

HAHA...seriously I just read that thinking...wow, what a great scam. Vegas and AC would even nod in approval.

Don't steal from L & T's, dummies.
Tell youwhat: its a little bit of everybody wins.
Cops only have 500 mall calls a year instead of 2000,
Store can legally price-gouge. Wait until some genius out of Harvard signs on with corporate and works up a scheme to entice shoppers to shoplift in order to increase margin points. Come to think of it I think TJ Maxx might be doing that...
Plus, the perp feels blessed for dodging one with the flick of a credit card. Once the buzz of freedom wears off, then the "cost" of freedom will sink in.

My expectation would be that JB has already asked him to give him the straight truth and that MCW would oblige. Then it would be up to JB to punish him. There is no need for JB to even talk to L&T.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

My expectation would be that JB has already asked him to give him the straight truth and that MCW would oblige. Then it would be up to JB to punish him. There is no need for JB to even talk to L&T.

But if MCW tells Boeheim that it was a misunderstanding, what is Boeheim supposed to do? It's not like there's any real evidence against him. It's he-said he-said. JB has to back his kid.

But if MCW tells Boeheim that it was a misunderstanding, what is Boeheim supposed to do? It's not like there's any real evidence against him. It's he-said he-said. JB has to back his kid.

If JB told him he wanted the truth, I am sure he would. If he did say it was a misunderstanding to his coach face to face, then he doesn't belong on the team.

If JB told him he wanted the truth, I am sure he would. If he did say it was a misunderstanding to his coach face to face, then he doesn't belong on the team.

Can someone explain to me what could possibly be the "misunderstanding" MCW is referring to? And if this was your kid and he said, "Oh, total misunderstanding." You'd be cool with that? I wish all of you were my parents.

I'm not going to vilify MCW for making a mistake. What I am going to suggest is that the vast amount of people who literally want to call this a "misunderstanding" despite the fact that it looks like a pretty cut and dry case of shop-lifting/saving your a$$ after getting caught are exactly why so many kids have zero accountability.

Seriously? How a single person here would have a problem with this kid being in street clothes vs. Alcorn State and Detroit is beyond me. He's not a hardened criminal. It's not the biggest deal in the world. There might even be some sort of justification somehow for it. But ultimately it was a horrible decision and when you make horrible decisions, you generally need to live with the fact that there will be some consequences.

And I defend JB on almost everything and question him on almost nothing. His comment and logic is absolutely pitiful in this instance. It's frankly insulting.

Cowherd always talks about how there is a correlation between how good your football team is, and how often/much your players get arrested. Maybe he did it for the football team to set an example - his school spirit is out of control! Can't fault a kid for that.

A $500 fine and he can't even keep the bathrobe and gloves? WHO IS THE REAL CRIMINAL?!?!

Huh? Isn't the whole point that you got caught stealing? YOu don't get to keep items you were stealing and you face a fine. And if you pay $500 b/c you wanted a new set of Icotoners for free, don't you feel like it would dissuade you from making a similar decision going forward? I think that's the whole point.

And I defend JB on almost everything and question him on almost nothing. His comment and logic is absolutely pitiful in this instance. It's frankly insulting.

That's just a classic response in every way. "My hands are tied." Love it. Sloughing off responsibility and pretending that it's not within his powers to act (or even inquire). We've heard this a number of times over the years.

this is basically a shakedown operation - pay us $500 to keep your record clean. now, it is his fault for putting himself in a position where they could shake him down, but this "civil fine" is just a pay off.

crime doesn't pay, Michael - unless you are on the other side of the cameras.

As if shoplifting is a positive cash flow for retail outlets.

Huh? Isn't the whole point that you got caught stealing? YOu don't get to keep items you were stealing and you face a fine. And if you pay $500 b/c you wanted a new set of Icotoners for free, don't you feel like it would dissuade you from making a similar decision going forward? I think that's the whole point.
A joke isn't funny if you have to explain it. I was making light of the fact that he left the store -$500 with nothing to show for it.

What I am going to suggest is that the vast amount of people who literally want to call this a "misunderstanding" despite the fact that it looks like a pretty cut and dry case of shop-lifting/saving your a$$ after getting caught are exactly why so many kids have zero accountability.

Just to clarify - I never said this whole episode was or was not a misunderstanding. I don't know what the hell happened. All I'm saying is - what is JB supposed to do if his player is telling him that it was a misunderstanding? I guess he could just choose to not believe his player and in turn suspend him.

It's hard to know how to judge any of these people without knowing all the facts and/or knowing exactly what MCW (and anyone else) is telling Boeheim. Of course, that won't stop everyone here and everywhere else from doing it, but it's all good, whatever makes people feel better about their own lives.

Good God, how will I tell my children? Whenever my kids ask for guidance, I just look at them and say, "What would Michael Carter-Williams do?" Now I will have to tell them that sometimes 20-year-olds shoplift.

Just to clarify - I never said this whole episode was or was not a misunderstanding. I don't know what the hell happened. All I'm saying is - what is JB supposed to do if his player is telling him that it was a misunderstanding? I guess he could just choose to not believe his player and in turn suspend him.

It's hard to know how to judge any of these people without knowing all the facts and/or knowing exactly what MCW (and anyone else) is telling Boeheim. Of course, that won't stop everyone here and everywhere else from doing it, but it's all good, whatever makes people feel better about their own lives.

If Mike says it was a misunderstanding, Boeheim could say "Hey, I was thinking of going to buy a shirt at Lord & Taylor; wanna come with?"

Bet he'd learn a little more about the situation.

I'm not a stupid man but I was reckless and foolish at times, when I was younger. I got a DUI when I was 19. I didn't need anyone to tell me that I shouldn't drink and drive but I did it anyway. I got caught, paid my penalties, thank goodness no one was hurt and I learned my lesson. I'll give MCW the benefit of the doubt and say he has learned a lesson too.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying? I mean, I don't feel better about my life by commenting on whether or not MCW should be suspended. I've been pretty clear about the fact that, at the end of the day, this is a pretty minor offense on every level. I'm not judging the kid, who by most accounts seems to be a good enough guy.

My point was that it's pretty clear there was an incident in which MCW made some poor choices. JB could either do some digging (or not) and even if he didn't want to dig could say, "listen, I think it's best for everyone if you sit for a game or two or three. It's not that you're a terrible person, but it's a good lesson for you and everyone in this program -- we're public figures. Our minor f-ups become big stories. We need to keep our noses clean and take accountability for our decisions."

Does that mean I'm the most accountable guy in the world? No. Does it mean I know all the facts? No. But I think it's pretty unlikely that this was simply a harmless, blameless misunderstanding that left MCW, the security guard and the L&T manager laughing and patting each other on the back. I mean, I don't think we need to wait for a jury trial to at least surmise some things about the incident, right?

Good God, how will I tell my children? Whenever my kids ask for guidance, I just look at them and say, "What would Michael Carter-Williams do?" Now I will have to tell them that sometimes 20-year-olds shoplift.

Really? How many people do you know who shop-lifted from a retail store at 20? I'm not talking about stealing a coffee pot and signage from Dunkin Donuts after 18 beers on a friday night. I mean, literally went out alone, waltzed into a department store, picked out a sweater and a pair of gloves, shoved them in a bag and walked out?

I have no ill will toward MCW for this and i'm not going to renounce my support b/c he made a mistake, but I mean, all people are really saying is that there should probably be some sort of university punishment. That doesn't seem crazy to me.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying? I mean, I don't feel better about my life by commenting on whether or not MCW should be suspended. I've been pretty clear about the fact that, at the end of the day, this is a pretty minor offense on every level. I'm not judging the kid, who by most accounts seems to be a good enough guy.

My point was that it's pretty clear there was an incident in which MCW made some poor choices. JB could either do some digging (or not) and even if he didn't want to dig could say, "listen, I think it's best for everyone if you sit for a game or two or three. It's not that you're a terrible person, but it's a good lesson for you and everyone in this program -- we're public figures. Our minor f-ups become big stories. We need to keep our noses clean and take accountability for our decisions."

Does that mean I'm the most accountable guy in the world? No. Does it mean I know all the facts? No. But I think it's pretty unlikely that this was simply a harmless, blameless misunderstanding that left MCW, the security guard and the L&T manager laughing and patting each other on the back. I mean, I don't think we need to wait for a jury trial to at least surmise some things about the incident, right?

And yet many on this board wanted spruill kicked off football team for something far less serious criminally. Hypocrisy is rampant here. Personally, i hate hypocrites. MCW stole some shtt, it was obvious from day one, yet we had one dumb arss moderator call the girl talking about FACTS a "mall rat.". That person should apologize as she is lower than a mall rat in my mind to call people out for the truth. This board is like history, only the people that control what is said get their side to stay a part of history over time and yet the moderators here are either hypocrites or so completely out of touch with reality they call people that happen to be in a mall and see a crime "rats:". Sham, shame, shame. Imagine this post gets deleted but some of the people sitting in the ivory tower deciding what can be posted here need to look in a mirror. Frankly, its sad.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Someone call up MCW and have him steal this man a sense of humor, stat!

;)

And yet many on this board wanted spruill kicked off football team for something far less serious criminally. Hypocrisy is rampant here. Personally, i hate hypocrites. MCW stole some shtt, it was obvious from day one, yet we had one dumb arss moderator call the girl talking about FACTS a "mall rat.". That person should apologize as she is lower than a mall rat in my mind to call people out for the truth. This board is like history, only the people that control what is said get their side to stay a part of history over time and yet the moderators here are either hypocrites or so completely out of touch with reality they call people that happen to be in a mall and see a crime "rats:". Sham, shame, shame. Imagine this post gets deleted but some of the people sitting in the ivory tower deciding what can be posted here need to look in a mirror. Frankly, its sad.

For the record, not a single post related to this incident has been deleted because of content related to the incident. Not one.

In fact, if anything, the mods have been trying to lead this herd if horses to reality since day one.

For the record, not a single post related to this incident has been deleted because of content related to the incident. Not one.

In fact, if anything, the mods have been trying to lead this herd if horses to reality since day one.

That's cool. I don't know CTO, never will, but she is lower than low in my book for someone telling the truth and her calling her a "mall rat.". Frankly she is a "board rat" from where I sit and far, far worse of a person for calling some woman out for telling the truth. Keep that up and she if she has the spine to apologize.