Class of 2015 - CB Davante Davis (FL) Verbal to Texas | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 CB Davante Davis (FL) Verbal to Texas

He is the kind of recruit Syracuse needs to start landing. The problem is that top recruits do not see Syracuse as a "Big Time Offer" anymore. What has Texas done recently?…Really?..But, recruits still consider them a big time offer. We have to start winning again, and then and only then, will we be able to pull kids like this.

He is the kind of recruit Syracuse needs to start landing. The problem is that top recruits do not see Syracuse as a "Big Time Offer" anymore. What has Texas done recently?…Really?..But, recruits still consider them a big time offer. We have to start winning again, and then and only then, will we be able to pull kids like this.

You may be waiting a while if you think these are the type of recruits Syracuse needs to start landing. You could possibly see 1 every now and again, but there is no way we are going to be landing kids like this on a consistent basis anytime soon.

anomander said:
You may be waiting a while if you think these are the type of recruits Syracuse needs to start landing. You could possibly see 1 every now and again, but there is no way we are going to be landing kids like this on a consistent basis anytime soon.

He's right though. We did get guys like this on our hey day... And you're right that we are far from that point right now.

The kid can make it playing on Sunday just as easy playing for the Cuse as he can playing for Texas…..Maybe faster playing for the Cuse because he will see the field faster. Texas…is down and no longer at the top of their conference…..Texas did not have a kid drafted at all last year!

The kid can make it playing on Sunday just as easy playing for the Cuse as he can playing for Texas…..Maybe faster playing for the Cuse because he will see the field faster. Texas…is down and no longer at the top of their conference…..Texas did not have a kid drafted at all last year!
and Charlie Strong put three Louisville players in the first round last year.

I mean no disrespect, but if you are genuinely perplexed that elite prospects don't consider Syracuse a big time offer and do consider Texas to be, then perhaps you need to take the orange colored glasses off.

and Charlie Strong put three Louisville players in the first round last year.

I mean no disrespect, but if you are genuinely perplexed that elite prospects don't consider Syracuse a big time offer and do consider Texas to be, then perhaps you need to take the orange colored glasses off.
No disrespect taken. The point I am trying to make is one of perception. Syracuse has a perception problem. These kids are not well informed and buy into the hype that is sold to them. Texas had no player drafted last year..not one. http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10914219/2014-nfl-draft-texas-long

Elite prospects are selecting some programs that they still perceive to be Big time programs when the facts say otherwise. In addition to producing wins on the field, what can we do to change the perception of elite prospects such that they view an offer from Syracuse in a better light. I don't think Syracuse is big time. Charlie Strong is a great recruiter! Part of his magic is getting kids to believe in what he is selling. Texas isn't even the top program in the state of Texas anymore and hasn't been for years. He is selling the dream We need our own Dream Sellers.

Last edited:
No disrespect taken. The point I am trying to make is one of perception. Syracuse has a perception problem. These kids are not well informed and buy into the hype that is sold to them. Texas had no player drafted last year..not one. http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10914219/2014-nfl-draft-texas-long

Elite prospects are selecting some programs that they still perceive to be Big time programs when the facts say otherwise. In addition to producing wins on the field, what can we do to change the perception of elite prospects such that they view an offer from Syracuse in a better light. I don't think Syracuse is big time. Charlie Strong is a great recruiter! Part of his magic is getting kids to believe in what he is selling. Texas isn't even the top program in the state of Texas anymore and hasn't been for years. He is selling the dream We need our own Dream Sellers.
Huh? Texas is a top school and program. Even if they have had a few down years. Their facilities and spending is second to none. Texas is still the best program in the State regardless of wins and losses

oldpinepoint said:
Huh? Texas is a top school and program. Even if they have had a few down years. Their facilities and spending is second to none. Texas is still the best program in the State regardless of wins and losses

If you lose consistently despite your facilities and spending - then you are a mediocre program with a proud tradition.

W-L is always the best indicator of relevance.

The facilities and money just mean their trip back to the top will be shorter.

He might be buying into what Charlie Strong is selling - but I guarantee you that Charlie's busting out "you can get us back to the top" spiel - not the "join the best team" spiel.

See, about perception. Texas was once the top program in Texas…but right now, they are behind Texas A&M, Baylor and TCU in on the field production and in the minds of recruits. Charley Strong was hired to change that. That is the reality! What I am trying to say about Syracuse….is that we have not been very good at changing perception. You want to go pro, you can go pro just as easy from Syracuse as you can from Texas. You want to play against the best competition in the country, We play in the ACC, home of the reigning National Champion. Good salesmen influence perception. That's all I am saying.

See, about perception. Texas was once the top program in Texas…but right now, they are behind Texas A&M, Baylor and TCU in on the field production and in the minds of recruits. Charley Strong was hired to change that. That is the reality! What I am trying to say about Syracuse….is that we have not been very good at changing perception. You want to go pro, you can go pro just as easy from Syracuse as you can from Texas. You want to play against the best competition in the country, We play in the ACC, home of the reigning National Champion. Good salesmen influence perception. That's all I am saying.
The bolded simply isn't true...and the entire post is just stunning facile and naive in the comparison between Syracuse and Texas programs. Syracuse doesn't have a perception problem. Syracuse has a reality problem with many structural disadvantages.

http://athlonsports.com/overtime/slideshows/hottest-texas-longhorns-girls#11

If you lose consistently despite your facilities and spending - then you are a mediocre program with a proud tradition.

W-L is always the best indicator of relevance.

The facilities and money just mean their trip back to the top will be shorter.

He might be buying into what Charlie Strong is selling - but I guarantee you that Charlie's busting out "you can get us back to the top" spiel - not the "join the best team" spiel.

Texas won a National Championship as recently as 2005, and were in the National Championship game a few years after that. If we are still hanging our hat on Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, and our 1959 National Championship I think they could still sell themselves as a top program despite their recent struggles.

Syracuse and Texas in football is basically us and Seton Hall in basketball.

Texas won a national championship less than 10 years ago and played in another national championship game just 5 years ago. They were ranked 18/19 just 2 years ago. If the frame of reference is the last 4 years, then they still pound SU. More important, they have a coach that is leading them, or perceived to be leading them, in the right direction. Strong is one of the top coaches in the country and Texas will be back to the top of the Big12 and playing for National Championships within 3 years. I have no such confidence in SU after this 3-9 season and very questionable coaching.

I don't hear Texas officials putting out a report about spending on their football program and worrying about where the scholarship money is being credited to or debited from.

There is not talk about profitability of the program and making it revenue neutral and there is no worry about donations and big time donors last I checked.

It is about commitment to the program from the top on down. SU has nothing resembling that. Texas is a Have and SU is a Have Not, kids being recruited know this and so do Head Coaches Texas is interested in hiring.

They were prepared to give Saban $100 million AND bonuses for performance. We won't spend that on our whole athletics department over the next 30 years.

There is simply no comparison between the two programs in any way shape or form.

and yet Texas is a good example that no matter how much money you have it doesn't guarantee success and top 10 finishes. They've averaged 5.4 losses over the last 5 years (since they went 5-7)

I think it's a good thing that our staff identified this kid first before all of the bigger schools starting calling. This program is good at identifying talent early, it's just a matter of them hanging on to some of those kids.

Would love to see a Chris Clark here now we're focused on a TE-heavy spread. He just bounced from Michigan and we're not on his radar. We were the first school to offer him!

and yet Texas is a good example that no matter how much money you have it doesn't guarantee success and top 10 finishes. They've averaged 5.4 losses over the last 5 years (since they went 5-7)

Exactly. If I were an elite recruit, I'd be asking who is doing more with less? Who is outcoaching their recruiting #'s? Kids commit to big schools that consistently underperform their recruiting rankings. Makes no sense.

I don't hear Texas officials putting out a report about spending on their football program and worrying about where the scholarship money is being credited to or debited from.

There is not talk about profitability of the program and making it revenue neutral and there is no worry about donations and big time donors last I checked.

It is about commitment to the program from the top on down. SU has nothing resembling that. Texas is a Have and SU is a Have Not, kids being recruited know this and so do Head Coaches Texas is interested in hiring.

They were prepared to give Saban $100 million AND bonuses for performance. We won't spend that on our whole athletics department over the next 30 years.

There is simply no comparison between the two programs in any way shape or form.

Texas is a ridiculous outlier. And if SU is a have not, then so are another 90 D-1 programs.

Texas is also in the top 10 in recruiting classes almost every year but they suck same with Michigan. So either the star system is a joke (which it is) or the coaching sucks.

Texas is also in the top 10 in recruiting classes almost every year but they suck same with Michigan. So either the star system is a joke (which it is) or the coaching sucks.

Texas got stale under Mack Brown. After Muschamp left, the defense suffered greatly and the great coaches (HC, Coordinators and position) were all gone. Then Mack left. There are extra losses whenever a coach leaves and new coaches install a new system, as Strong has, from the ground up. The program will be much better and stronger for it in the end. Texas is still a bowl team and is on its way back up already.

Michigan and Texas are not nearly the same level at this point. Michigan has had a bunch of different coaches come in and be unable to right the ship. Again, each coach coming in with a new system yields extra losses due to changing schemes and target recruit attributes. Michigan doesn't recruit as well as Texas and doesn't have that strong local base of 5 star talent in HS. Michigan may never recover, although $8 million/yr will go a long way. Bring in Harbaugh and he likely installs a successful scheme on O and D and he is a big name that will help with recruiting. He's still in Michigan, though, and recruiting will be harder there than it would be in Texas or California. The good news at Michigan is that the B1G sucks and Michigan can elevate pretty quickly if everything else breaks right for them.

Texas got stale under Mack Brown. After Muschamp left, the defense suffered greatly and the great coaches (HC, Coordinators and position) were all gone. Then Mack left. There are extra losses whenever a coach leaves and new coaches install a new system, as Strong has, from the ground up. The program will be much better and stronger for it in the end. Texas is still a bowl team and is on its way back up already.

Michigan and Texas are not nearly the same level at this point. Michigan has had a bunch of different coaches come in and be unable to right the ship. Again, each coach coming in with a new system yields extra losses due to changing schemes and target recruit attributes. Michigan doesn't recruit as well as Texas and doesn't have that strong local base of 5 star talent in HS. Michigan may never recover, although $8 million/yr will go a long way. Bring in Harbaugh and he likely installs a successful scheme on O and D and he is a big name that will help with recruiting. He's still in Michigan, though, and recruiting will be harder there than it would be in Texas or California. The good news at Michigan is that the B1G sucks and Michigan can elevate pretty quickly if everything else breaks right for them.

I am willing to bet he would have an easier time getting talent at Michigan than he did at Stanford and we all know how that turned out.

Davante Davis‏@SaluteMe_103 56m56 minutes ago
Committing January 1st
1f64f.png
#Noles
1f362.png
#Horns
1f402.png

LOL

So, in this messed up world of D-1 college athletics, which program is ludicrous - SU or the ultra-rich big boys? I'd dare say our priorities are closer to being solidly, healthily grounded than many of those money factories.