Class of 2015 - CB Davante Davis (FL) Verbal to Texas | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 CB Davante Davis (FL) Verbal to Texas

at least he finally acknowledged actually being committed to Syracuse. Sucks the first time he mentions Syracuse is when he is decommitting from us though.
I agree I wish the kid the best but if his heart was never in it, we will be able to find plenty of good kids to replace him. We had two decommits last year, one of them led us to Jonathan Thomas . I will take that kind of ending here

Not concerned. When we win 9 games this year, including a victory over Notre Dame, we will get our share of quality players. And we have gotten our share over the past two seasons anyway. Going to be fun following recruiting over next 9 months.

Folks we haven't even officially lost the kid yet ... he wasn't going to sign an LOI for a long time ... hell he might do all of his visits and figure out what the rest of us already know ... Shafer and company are genuine folks ... more so than most ... Davis might still end up at SU ... if they win games and he stays tight with McDonald I wouldn't rule it out at all.

If we get the Jersey 4 or 5, no-one will even miss Davis, but their is still a long way to go until signing day.

Folks we haven't even officially lost the kid yet ... he wasn't going to sign an LOI for a long time ... hell he might do all of his visits and figure out what the rest of us already know ... Shafer and company are genuine folks ... more so than most ... Davis might still end up at SU ... if they win games and he stays tight with McDonald I wouldn't rule it out at all.

You are right but when the football factories come calling it is very tough to beat them out. We are fine no matter what

You are right but when the football factories come calling it is very tough to beat them out. We are fine no matter what

I agree ... even the factories have serious competition between each other ... Warmack (who's brother Chance played at Bama) has already verballed to Bama and is now looking at taking visits elsewhere ... nothing is done till February ... stay tuned.

Have you ever seen anyone decommit from a school and then still sign with that school? I bet we aren't even in his top 5 by the end of the season unfortunately.

Have you ever seen anyone decommit from a school and then still sign with that school? I bet we aren't even in his top 5 by the end of the season unfortunately.
Well I don't think I have in football, but one of my friends committed to Wake Forest for baseball, decommitted, and then ended up recommitting a month or two later so it does happen at least

bnoro said:

Happened with a guy we were persuing to take from wake last year not sure he fully decommited though but he ended up recomitting to the new staff agreed though it is rare

How about that Florida kid and wake last year ? It must happen more than we know but we don't pay enough attention unless it involves us. So many kids decommit from sec schools I don't follow enough to see where the end up going.

We'll see if we get an official visit that's about as far as ill watch.

I'd rather this kid decommit now than January. Also the two weeks after Davis committed we still offered a bunch of corners and safeties. The staff wasn't surprised by this. Macdonald won't go easily though.

Yeah I have ... it happens ... with McDonald in the fold I don't rule us out.

He committed before visiting SU and you knew from the get go that was a sign that he could change his mind. A lot of quality players out there and SU has a lot of interest from many of them and imo SU will be in this (top 5) but as in any quality player you are going to have interest from other P5 schools and that's where we want to be...competing with the best. Great job of identifying a talented player by the staff and let's see where this goes. My feeling is this. SU is going to have a very good class in 2015 right there with 2014, maybe better. 2016 if this staff is together, will be huge talent wise.

i
Happened with a guy we were persuing to take from wake last year not sure he fully decommited though but he ended up recomitting to the new staff agreed though it is rare
Jaboree Williams. As you noted, Wake went through a coaching change, which is when Williams reopened his recruitment. That is understandable, and that kind of thing happens, as any kid would want to know how he fits in with the new coaches.

In this instance, nothing changed. He committed, big boys came calling, and he decommitted. I'll join the chorus that says it speaks well of Syracuse's ability to identify talent early and that life goes on and we'll be fine, but there's just no way he's coming here now.

Well I don't think I have in football, but one of my friends committed to Wake Forest for baseball, decommitted, and then ended up recommitting a month or two later so it does happen at least
Dylan Manwaring?

Not concerned. When we win 9 games this year, including a victory over Notre Dame, we will get our share of quality players. And we have gotten our share over the past two seasons anyway. Going to be fun following recruiting over next 9 months.

I couldn't agree more. Look how far we have come. The recruits we have gotten in the past four years are far better than what we got under Grob's era. If not talent wise, their discipline and heart make up for it. This is definitely an exciting time.

I don't think we should give up by any means, I just don't think there's a chance he ends up coming here or even names us in his top 5. If he was serious he could have stayed committed and still took his other visits and gave those schools a chance as a soft verbal.

I don't think we should give up by any means, I just don't think there's a chance he ends up coming here or even names us in his top 5. If he was serious he could have stayed committed and still took his other visits and gave those schools a chance as a soft verbal.

Exactly. People need to be honest about where this program is at. We have come along way since the Grob era but we are not on the level of being able to land a kid like that with those kind of offers and SEC schools in the mix, we just aren't.

From HCSS himself saying it, we should know who we are and embrace it. Be proud of what we are, an up and coming/solid program with a proud history. What we aren't is a football factory. Fine with me, I am proud of what we are and where we are going. You look at where the top 100 kids sign every year, 95% of them end up at an SEC school or at one of the other factories (USC, UCLA, PSU, OSU, MICH, ND, TX, etc). The few others want to stay close to home and sign with an in-state school (like Prince at Maryland). At some point, we will reel in our next Tim Green, the local hero with factory offers who wants to stay local. Beyond that, we will continue to bring in better athletes who are coachable and who will have a chip on their shoulder. By embracing it we aren't saying our program isn't worthy of a 5 star kid, we just know who we are and we recruit to our strengths. We do that, we can win consistently. Maybe not against FSU or Clemson 9 out of 10 times, but against everyone else.

I agree that he probably won't come here...but the take on here was that he knew big offers were coming and committed here anyway. So there must be something to that. To then say oh we're out of the top 5 seems out of whack with the reality of what happened and how it happened.

Makes you appreciate big prospects like Slayton, Custis and Enoicy. Bigger fish came knocking, they kept there word.
Dont forget the one that was most impressive was Zaire Frankin. When Penn St come calling, you go. He didnt waver. He was upset with them for not recruiting him early on. But the biggest reason he stayed was because he was emotionally tied to SU program. He built relationships with other commits, he tooks lots of visits to SU, did alot of interviews promoting his new team and coaches. Thats why he didnt accept the Penn st offer. Cant expect to keep a verbal commitment from a kid who is getting national attention and hasn't visited Syracuse yet.

Last edited:
BTW DD never showed any signs that he was truly committed. He erased tweets saying he committed and he retweeted offers that he got for other schools. Its a no brainer folks. Move on.