CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Wilson entered the portal early in the off-season I was beyond disappointed. We all heard how high our staff was on him, thankfully we got the NIL things settled with him and got him out of the portal swiftly. We’re all seeing exactly why our staff had a sense of urgency to keep him, kid is an absolute baller.
I really like Wilson. He reminds me of the Honey Badger, that kid Matthieu, who ironically played at LSU. Not saying he's the same player of course, but he seems to have that same type of gritty edge to his game.

I really like Wilson. He reminds me of the Honey Badger, that kid Matthieu, who ironically played at LSU. Not saying he's the same player of course, but he seems to have that same type of gritty edge to his game.
I'd sure like him to add 10 more pounds of muscle if he can without affecting his quickness.

But so far he is a pleasant surprise.

I know this is petty but I think necessary. I hope the coaches keep receipts. I think it would be beneficial when a player comes in to talk transfer, pull up the transfer stats for individuals who have left the program. Show them what risk they’re taking. Also show them (if there is any) the players who transferred and are successful. But the numbers are going to show in a large way, the trend is not good in regards to performing better and playing more elsewhere. The jury is out as they still have eligibility and more years to play, but I mean come on if you transfer you expect to be a day 1 starter that’s why you transfer. To make money and start so you can bolster your NFL chances. What I’m seeing so far is our transfers NFL chances have plummeted to date.

And specifically from Syracuse
Playing on a ten loss team didn’t hurt Andre. If you’re an NFL player, you will get drafted. If you can’t make the field, doesn’t matter where you play.

I’d argue the extra playing time helps some of our fringe NFL guys get drafted. But it’s hard to turn down an Ohio State or LSU. Guys bet on themselves.

I still think long term transfer portal improves parity and helps teams like Syracuse. With a decent NiL program, we can retain the key guys and improve through the portal. We won’t keep every guy but having respected coaches who don’t oversell, helps us. Guys ultimately want to play, especially after sitting at a factory or seeing other transfers fail to play. The guys we get to transfer in are seeing the field.

Playing on a ten loss team didn’t hurt Andre. If you’re an NFL player, you will get drafted. If you can’t make the field, doesn’t matter where you play.

I’d argue the extra playing time helps some of our fringe NFL guys get drafted. But it’s hard to turn down an Ohio State or LSU. Guys bet on themselves.

I still think long term transfer portal improves parity and helps teams like Syracuse. With a decent NiL program, we can retain the key guys and improve through the portal. We won’t keep every guy but having respected coaches who don’t oversell, helps us. Guys ultimately want to play, especially after sitting at a factory or seeing other transfers fail to play. The guys we get to transfer in are seeing the field.

Agreed, as terrible as it is, Jahad and Duce are cases that will cause the portal to level out

I feel more bad for Jahad than Duce

Agreed, as terrible as it is, Jahad and Duce are cases that will cause the portal to level out

I feel more bad for Jahad than Duce

It's great point. After this season our own guys are going to think twice after seeing what is happening to their own former teammates. Lot of season left but still, early season is where you'd think they'd get PT, now they're going to have to wait for injuries.

Yep. Pretty sure NFL scouts aren’t looking at Spring game tape to decide whether to draft or sign factory school backups.

Starting at any level puts your talent on tape and significantly increases your odds.

Although, NIL has changed the focus for many players. I think some realize how hard it is to make it to the NFL and want to max out their short term football earnings.

Hard to argue either way. I agree that the portal will help parity. It should ultimately help talented players improve their NFL opportunities by making it easier to get on the field (if that’s their focus).

Last edited:
There’s quite a few secondary players who are paying their bills with NFL money from a “building” team
And there are quite a few more from LSU. Can we all take a step back and agree that going to a big time SEC school gives you higher odds of NFL draft success? LSU averaged almost 7 draftees per year the last 10 years, 14(!) were DBs. Syracuse has had 14 draftees total in the last 10 years. Pretending like going to LSU doesn’t improve your chances is just being dumb.

Last edited:
Geer has no stats for the season.

Carter has 2 tackles

Duce has 4 tackles and 1 int

Linton 7 tackles (no sacks, no TFL) 1 fr
I hate to see this bc I want our kids to do well BUT I couldn’t think of a better way to retain our kids who will get offers this upcoming off season

But only our guys get injured I thought, or is it the bad karma from just being here?
Arizona State is down to their 4th string QB, one of injured being Drew Pyne (the ex-ND QB). He did play in the Dome last year so some bad juju must have rubbed off.

And there are quite a few more from LSU. Can we all take a step back and agree that going to a big time SEC school gives you higher odds of NFL draft success? LSU averaged almost 7 draftees per year the last 10 years, 14(!) were DBs. Syracuse has had 14 draftees total in the last 10 years. Pretending like going to LSU doesn’t improve your chances is just being dumb.
It does if you are a high four or five star recruit.
The point people are missing is that schools like lsu, Alabama and Ohio st bring in top recruiting classes every year. Out of let’s say 25 players or 50 for two classes you get 5 to 7 in the nfl. The odds are you are going to get more than teams like su or similar peer schools because you are bringing in more higher rated players.
Now when a player like Duce or Jahad transfers to those schools they have to compete against those players already there and those being brought in. The coaches have no loyalty to them. If you do not perform or get beat out you don’t play.
Nfl teams can find players no matter the level but if you do not play they do not see you and evaluate your performance. Duce and Jahad do have a lot of film from SU but transferring and getting beat like Duce or limited play like Jahad will impact their ability to get drafted.
They could go as UDFA but there is limited to no guaranteed money and limited odds to make the team.
They left being starters at SU for backup rolls with limited playing time. To say it didn’t hurt their draft stock at this point is disingenuous. If they stayed at SU and did well this season there is a high likelihood they would have gone nfl and got drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. The odds of that happening on their current team are slim to none.
Circling back to the factory schools bring in 25 four and five stars. Of the 1/3 that work out for them the other 2/3 get disappointed and leave. That gives SU and other peer schools the opportunity to add those players that would not have considered SU out of high school. This helps build our program. There is no guarantee they will be successful at SU put they have a potential higher upside then a lower rated 3 star.

You are ignoring the inherent bias, that on average, better players are at LSU.

Is going to LSU what gets them drafted or did LSU recruit more draftable talent? It's the same chicken vs egg argument as when Calipari insisted he was better at getting players to the NBA. When you recruit better players, more of them will get drafted.

*Playing* gives you the higher odds of NFL draft success. Playing at LSU is better odds, but the competition to get on the field is way more intense. I've been around a long time lol. I'm aware of how the draft works. If he rides the bench this year, he'll get his degree and do the grad transfer thing to... get on the field. Probably at a Go5 school or worse, Rutgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom