CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
If no bridges were burned and everything is on the up and up I'd take he and Carter back in a heartbeat to finish out their college careers strong and hopefully get a shot in the league.

Except they would both have to sit out a year if they transfer again.

And there are quite a few more from LSU. Can we all take a step back and agree that going to a big time SEC school gives you higher odds of NFL draft success? LSU averaged almost 7 draftees per year the last 10 years, 14(!) were DBs. Syracuse has had 14 draftees total in the last 10 years. Pretending like going to LSU doesn’t improve your chances is just being dumb.
LSU has had more pros because they’ve recruited better players.

It doesn’t matter where you go….unless you’re sitting the bench where you go. Gotta be on the field to make the pros.

It makes no difference if a stud DB plays for Syracuse or LSU. If they’re good enough and have the chance to show it, they’ll make the NFL.

LSU isn’t doing anything special for those DBs that Syracuse isn’t doing.

It does if you are a high four or five star recruit.
The point people are missing is that schools like lsu, Alabama and Ohio st bring in top recruiting classes every year. Out of let’s say 25 players or 50 for two classes you get 5 to 7 in the nfl. The odds are you are going to get more than teams like su or similar peer schools because you are bringing in more higher rated players.
Now when a player like Duce or Jahad transfers to those schools they have to compete against those players already there and those being brought in. The coaches have no loyalty to them. If you do not perform or get beat out you don’t play.
Nfl teams can find players no matter the level but if you do not play they do not see you and evaluate your performance. Duce and Jahad do have a lot of film from SU but transferring and getting beat like Duce or limited play like Jahad will impact their ability to get drafted.
They could go as UDFA but there is limited to no guaranteed money and limited odds to make the team.
They left being starters at SU for backup rolls with limited playing time. To say it didn’t hurt their draft stock at this point is disingenuous. If they stayed at SU and did well this season there is a high likelihood they would have gone nfl and got drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. The odds of that happening on their current team are slim to none.
Circling back to the factory schools bring in 25 four and five stars. Of the 1/3 that work out for them the other 2/3 get disappointed and leave. That gives SU and other peer schools the opportunity to add those players that would not have considered SU out of high school. This helps build our program. There is no guarantee they will be successful at SU put they have a potential higher upside then a lower rated 3 star.

Proud Of You Good Job GIF by Lucas and Friends by RV AppStudios

You are ignoring the inherent bias, that on average, better players are at LSU.
Thats fair, and my response there is that if those players are the bar for getting drafted and you cant start over them, you're not NFL material.

LSU has had more pros because they’ve recruited better players.

It doesn’t matter where you go….unless you’re sitting the bench where you go. Gotta be on the field to make the pros.

It makes no difference if a stud DB plays for Syracuse or LSU. If they’re good enough and have the chance to show it, they’ll make the NFL.

LSU isn’t doing anything special for those DBs that Syracuse isn’t doing.
playing better competition week in and week out, likely better coaching due to high budgets, more scout interest on a game-by-game basis, better players to practice and improve against. I wouldnt say they arent doing anything special. Also we shouldnt discount the name brand and the bias it provides. Players can rise above it, but it never hurts

Thats fair, and my response there is that if those players are the bar for getting drafted and you cant start over them, you're not NFL material.
Not necessarily.
It's all about the opportunity that playing time gives them. We saw it on our bball team for years where SU players who thrived here were drafted and got a cup of coffee in the NBA.
Some of their success was undoubtedly due to JB's system that maximized their talents and hid alot of their faults. These were often then exposed when they got to the league, but...at least they got to the league and had a shot to stick.
It's a little different w/ ftball, but overall Duce, Jahad, Geer, et al, would be standout stars if they'd stayed, because they'd be able to play on a team where their talents were top notch...for our team.
At LSU or Ohio State, they're just another good/very good player trying to beat out excellent players, with new ones being recruited every year.
Can't fault them for taking the bag and betting on themselves, but their chances for getting PT, AND getting drafted, have gone down in the process.

playing better competition week in and week out, likely better coaching due to high budgets, more scout interest on a game-by-game basis, better players to practice and improve against. I wouldnt say they arent doing anything special
Competition is similar.

Better coaching - maybe, but not necessarily.

Scouting - maybe years ago, I don’t think that’s the case now. We’re not exactly obscure. Every game is available to watch.

Better players to practice against…maybe helps a bit. Also better players to take your playing time though too.

Some of those things may be true and may be factors at times, but I still think the biggest reason they have more pros is that they recruit more pro caliber players. We have good coaching and competition too.

It’s a scrap piece.

The quote above had nothing to do with his experience at Syracuse. It was in reference to his desire to play football at LSU.

He still loves Syracuse and most likely went for larger NIL $. He comes from a challenging background, and most likely needs money.

Stinks he left but our corners are just fine. We’ve been the beneficiary on the other side of the portal too.
So we replaced Duce with Jeremiah Wilson. Honestly three weeks into the season I think we “won”. Wilson is a dog. Undersized but has incredible timing and break to the ball. His tackling is comparable to Duce as well. Duce was a great open field tackler and Wilson seems to match that ability.
Wilson was a dog the entire Purdue game except one play where a defender shook him off. I only remember that one play because the boy and I were amazed at how well he played. Tough, gritty kid. I prefer him over Duce after all of the tears in my eyes and LSU being DBU comments.

Last edited:
Both will have to really show out at the combine, but I suspect now they’ll both have to make teams as UDFA’s.

I believe both would’ve been drafted staying at Syracuse, being starters and piling up stats.

Hopefully they are putting the work on on specials. Late round or UDFA that's what could really help to make a roster as a DB. I know the point was always made about our guys even starters putting in the work in college to get good ST experience to both have your best guys out there but honestly it helps them to make a roster if they are pro prospects too.

Colleague’s brother-in-law is a scout/AGM for an NFL team. Travels all over watching teams play and he likes going to smaller schools to watch them play. Part of his job description is finding “diamonds in the rough”. Was at WSU for a few days pre-Wiscy game watching pract, etc.

NFL front offices lose jobs if they can’t build successful teams and one way to help with that, given the salary cap, is to find players that aren’t All Americans but have talent/skill (later round picks save cap space). If you can play, the NFL will find you.

School attended may help with showcasing skills in big games but the most important thing is playing and playing well.

Ultimately I have zero issues with a player doing what they feel they need to do. They are grown men and old enough to make decisions and none of us has clear vision into their personal life and perhaps needs.
That said when people say I wish so and so was still here, he would have made a difference on that play, be ready to have the departed players current status highlighted in comparison. It's not to slam the departed but rather level set your thinking. I think people wishing others who had left were back, are really short changing our guys who are here. Geer is gone, Linton is gone, Duce is gone. Our guys are the ones who fought the fight against Purdue and won. Let's celebrate them and not wish for those others who proactively chose to leave the team.

Ultimately I have zero issues with a player doing what they feel they need to do. They are grown men and old enough to make decisions and none of us has clear vision into their personal life and perhaps needs.
That said when people say I wish so and so was still here, he would have made a difference on that play, be ready to have the departed players current status highlighted in comparison. It's not to slam the departed but rather level set your thinking. I think people wishing others who had left were back, are really short changing our guys who are here. Geer is gone, Linton is gone, Duce is gone. Our guys are the ones who fought the fight against Purdue and won. Let's celebrate them and not wish for those others who proactively chose to leave the team.
It's not short changing, it may simply be honest analysis, accurate or not. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Playing on a ten loss team didn’t hurt Andre. If you’re an NFL player, you will get drafted. If you can’t make the field, doesn’t matter where you play.

I’d argue the extra playing time helps some of our fringe NFL guys get drafted. But it’s hard to turn down an Ohio State or LSU. Guys bet on themselves.

I still think long term transfer portal improves parity and helps teams like Syracuse. With a decent NiL program, we can retain the key guys and improve through the portal. We won’t keep every guy but having respected coaches who don’t oversell, helps us. Guys ultimately want to play, especially after sitting at a factory or seeing other transfers fail to play. The guys we get to transfer in are seeing the field.
Not being on the field rarely helps improve your draft status regardless of what P5 you are playing at.

And there are quite a few more from LSU. Can we all take a step back and agree that going to a big time SEC school gives you higher odds of NFL draft success? LSU averaged almost 7 draftees per year the last 10 years, 14(!) were DBs. Syracuse has had 14 draftees total in the last 10 years. Pretending like going to LSU doesn’t improve your chances is just being dumb.
It does if you play. If you ride the pine I doubt it unless you’re some combine/pro day freak, and you can be a combine/pro day freak coming out of any school.

Agreed, as terrible as it is, Jahad and Duce are cases that will cause the portal to level out

I feel more bad for Jahad than Duce
I think we need to cut Duce a little slack. I’d be willing to bet that nobody regrets his transfer more than him right now. I mean, he went from Dino to Brian Kelly. What could possibly be worse than that.

On a slightly different but related matter, lots of folks here are talking about our recent success recruiting and putting DBs in the league. Is anyone concerned that success had a huge “Monroe” stamp on it, and it remains to be seen what we can pull in with him now gone?

On a slightly different but related matter, lots of folks here are talking about our recent success recruiting and putting DBs in the league. Is anyone concerned that success had a huge “Monroe” stamp on it, and it remains to be seen what we can pull in with him now gone?
Our current DB coach has a list of NFLers too, some from Nebraska and some from directional Florida.

Also, Monroe was Safeties and three of the draftee's were drafted as CB's (GW, Trill, Iffy)

I see what your saying, but hoping the above proves it not to be the case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors