Class of 2017 - CB Jordan Martin / Grad Transfer from Toledo to Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 CB Jordan Martin / Grad Transfer from Toledo to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty obvious which unit these coaches decided was the biggest position of need. Not only that, but, they went out and did something about it immediately. A couple of Grad Transfers & a JUCO to act as a stop gap while the young talent here and on its way develops.

The thing that I like is DL & Secondary lean on each other, now there's some experience to sit behind a younger DL Unit. Experience in the Secondary will have multiple benefits, not just in coverage.

Now, our younger group up front can continue their growth, and by the time the majority of them are Sr's & Jr's they'll be the strength that a less experienced Secondary can lean on.

*** I gotta say, whether you agree with DB's philosophy or not, you have to give the guy credit for how he goes about his business. He develops and executes his plan of action, there's no BS. Extreme confidence in what they do and how they do it.

There's the potential to be 3 starters in our Secondary this year who've never worn a Syracuse jersey before. That's a coach who's here to win, those are the tough decisions that need to be made at this level sometimes. Obviously not ideal, but, take solace in knowing our HC is doing everything possible to get this thing where it needs to be.
This 100%. I wonder if they'll try to redshirt at least one of Jones/Scoop/Foster for the extra year of S&C.

Pretty obvious which unit these coaches decided was the biggest position of need. Not only that, but, they went out and did something about it immediately. A couple of Grad Transfers & a JUCO to act as a stop gap while the young talent here and on its way develops.

The thing that I like is DL & Secondary lean on each other, now there's some experience to sit behind a younger DL Unit. Experience in the Secondary will have multiple benefits, not just in coverage.

Now, our younger group up front can continue their growth, and by the time the majority of them are Sr's & Jr's they'll be the strength that a less experienced Secondary can lean on.

*** I gotta say, whether you agree with DB's philosophy or not, you have to give the guy credit for how he goes about his business. He develops and executes his plan of action, there's no BS. Extreme confidence in what they do and how they do it.

There's the potential to be 3 starters in our Secondary this year who've never worn a Syracuse jersey before. That's a coach who's here to win, those are the tough decisions that need to be made at this level sometimes. Obviously not ideal, but, take solace in knowing our HC is doing everything possible to get this thing where it needs to be.
Yessir, this is a good way to do it. We had a horrendous secondary. Teams got whatever they wanted on us. It may take time to gel with all the new faces but we will be better,, thats for sure. The question is how much better? Also think the staff might have some grad or juco DL in mind.

Yessir, this is a good way to do it. We had a horrendous secondary. Teams got whatever they wanted on us. It may take time to gel with all the new faces but we will be better,, thats for sure. The question is how much better? Also think the staff might have some grad or juco DL in mind.

They must have some DL transfers in mind also. While I appreciate Finwad's remarks about the synergy between the FL and secondary, i think he would agree that we are not winning many games in the ACC unless both units improve substantially. It can't be an either/or. Our primary competition has talent at every position and in the cases of teams like FSU and Clemson, go 2-3 deep at every position.

I like too that they've positioned themselves to have some options. The risk is spread around because they don't need all of these guys to be good right away, although it helps. They just need a competent unit to come out of the group.

They must have some DL transfers in mind also. While I appreciate Finwad's remarks about the synergy between the FL and secondary, i think he would agree that we are not winning many games in the ACC unless both units improve substantially. It can't be an either/or. Our primary competition has talent at every position and in the cases of teams like FSU and Clemson, go 2-3 deep at every position.
Agreed, no doubt about it. But, it is going to take some time to get there... I'm very high on the future of our DL. When you've got that many young guys with as much experience as they're going to have, I think the sky is the limit. Strengthening the secondary will provide them a bigger cushion to further develop.

Again, absolutley, we need both to improve leaps and bounds when looked at in totality. I think they're just in two different stages right now, and, it's going to take some time to mirror them up.

Agreed, no doubt about it. But, it is going to take some time to get there... I'm very high on the future of our DL. When you've got that many young guys with as much experience as they're going to have, I think the sky is the limit. Strengthening the secondary will provide them a bigger cushion to further develop.

Again, absolutley, we need both to improve leaps and bounds when looked at in totality. I think they're just in two different stages right now, and, it's going to take some time to mirror them up.

My expectation is that the DEs who were thrown to the wolves early this season will improve to the point where over the next two years DE will be viewed as a position of strength instead of a liability.

Still need to improve the pass rush, though. Would love to see us add a 5th year transfer DE who could potentially start.

Remember what Babers said in the past. Paraaphrasing, he isn't going to bring in these type of players, Jucos/Grad Transfers, unless they are able to contribute from day one. These are more than bodies.

I understand. I am excited, but just pointing out systems are different, playing in a dome is different. I am just looking for them to produce on the field before I call them the best thing ever...lol :)

I understand. I am excited, but just pointing out systems are different, playing in a dome is different. I am just looking for them to produce on the field before I call them the best thing ever...lol :)
That is understandable, we have all been burnt before. But, I am so impressed with this staff's ability to bring in guys with the measurables that they want. Also, guys like Amba and Martin that have played against Babers coached teams and wanted to play for him.

I get where you're coming from. But calling a player a "body" implies something in sports that I don't think is applicable to the three transfers we're bringing in for the secondary. Doesn't mean that they are fast tracking to the NFL, or that they're going to duplicate [relatively speaking] what AET accomplished last year, but all three of these guys could start and make a big contribution.

He made his decision during a visit to Central New York on March 11-13, choosing the Orange over Maryland, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Purdue and Rutgers.
The other schools that offered give a good insight into how good he is.

Here is some info from his Toledo bio:

High School
Six interceptions and 35 tackles as a senior...Earned all-conference honors...Three-star recruit by 24/7Sports...Selected to the Big 33 All-American Bowl as well as the USA Olympic Junior Team...Named MVP of the Rivals Five-Star Showcase in the state of Maryland...No. 1 ranked hurdler in the state...High school coach was Bryce Bevill.

#1 hurdler in the state of Maryland. Member of the USA Olympics Junior Team in track (hurdles). Big 33. MVP of a Rivals showcase. And we finally got a player coached by Bryce.

I would be very surprised if he doesn't start.

CB Butler (ND)
CB Martin (Toledo)
SS Williams (ND)
FS Cordy (SU)

The upgrade in athletic ability, speed and size from one season to another is amazing...

High School
Six interceptions and 35 tackles as a senior...Earned all-conference honors...Three-star recruit by 24/7Sports...Selected to the Big 33 All-American Bowl as well as the USA Olympic Junior Team...Named MVP of the Rivals Five-Star Showcase in the state of Maryland...No. 1 ranked hurdler in the state...High school coach was Bryce Bevill.

#1 hurdler in the state of Maryland. Member of the USA Olympics Junior Team in track (hurdles). Big 33. MVP of a Rivals showcase. And we finally got a player coached by Bryce.

CB Butler (ND)
CB Martin (Toledo)
SS Williams (ND)
FS Cordy (SU)

The upgrade in athletic ability, speed and size from one season to another is amazing...
Right on.

Dare I say that our secondary and LB unit is beginning to "look the part" size wise compared to other P5 schools? We have been soooo undersized at those positions for so long. Our linebackers have looked like other teams safeties, while our safeties have looked like other teams corners, and our corners have looked like other teams equipment managers. Ellison and Cordy are still undersized, but they get a pass because they bring the freaking pain every week.

High School

CB Butler (ND)
CB Martin (Toledo)
SS Williams (ND)
FS Cordy (SU)

His HS coach was a Cuse player...wonder how much that played into it...another benefit is we may have opened his HS to Cuse. I would think Coach Babers probably made a courtesy call to Bryce. Maryland is a VG FB state.

Interestingly he didn't make All MAC last year...it doesn't mean he can't start and be a vital cog in the Fall. I love his size...if he has ACC Speed (and it appears he does)...he could make an impact. Hopefully he falls somewhere between DeJon and Amba in impact.

MAC Announces 2016 All-MAC Teams and Postseason Awards

I get where you're coming from. But calling a player a "body" implies something in sports that I don't think is applicable to the three transfers we're bringing in for the secondary. Doesn't mean that they are fast tracking to the NFL, or that they're going to duplicate [relatively speaking] what AET accomplished last year, but all three of these guys could start and make a big contribution.
Heck if even one of the three new guys makes a big contribution this fall that will be a nice improvement. Even better if two or all three were able to have solid seasons and get some of the youngsters in for experience or RS to put on some more weight. Either way I think he is another favorable addition!

Heck if even one of the three new guys makes a big contribution this fall that will be a nice improvement. Even better if two or all three were able to have solid seasons and get some of the youngsters in for experience or RS to put on some more weight. Either way I think he is another favorable addition!

Plus, all three of those guys seem like better system fits for a base Tampa 2 system. I'm not suggesting that they all start -- may the best players win in practice -- but on paper, it is difficult not to see these guys as being better fits for what our coaches want to do defensively with a Tampa 2.

Butler is 6-1 205
Martin is 6-3 205
Mykelti Williams is 6-2 210 [much bigger in both height and weight than the safeties we played last year]

I think that the staff tried to bring in players like this last year, with Michael Moore [the JUCO who couldn't qualify] and Carl Jones.

Will be interesting to see how these guys impact the two-deep. Last year, we could barely field a rotation due to injuries. This year, a lot of guys we relied upon to start / play might be second unit guys. We have a TON of players who garnered experienced last year, including Frederick [who played really well, IMO], Scoop, Hudson, and others. Bodes well for the secondary this season.

"We'll play you again when you vacate the botched field goal victory"

Haha
Didn't realize that their HC then was Tim Beckman, the disgraced Illinois HC who was fired after numerous allegations of player abuse.

He was fired in 2015 and is still out of football completely. Fedora at UNC hired him in 2016 as a volunteer assistant but Beckman was forced to resign almost immediately after a firestorm of criticism...

"We'll play you again when you vacate the botched field goal victory"

Haha
I like this one.

BG's big play receiver drops down to an afterthought at a bigger program for exposure. Like it or not it's a bigger program. Now if I was a kicker I'd love to transfer to Syracuse. No weather and even bad kicks are good.g

"We'll play you again when you vacate the botched field goal victory.
I was sitting right behind that goal post, and I will swear to my grave that it was good. I remember hearing it clang the upright, but I would have seen it if it had missed.

Suspended Syracuse football players Jaquwan Nelson, Devon Clarke awaiting SU's punishment (3 things Dino Babers said)

Bolstering the secondary

Tuesday marked the first official practice for redshirt senior cornerback Devin Butler, a graduate transfer from Notre Dame. This summer, he'll be joined in the secondary by two more experienced DBs: graduate transfer corner Jordan Martin (Toledo) and junior college safety Mykelti Williams.

Babers talked about the decision to add multiple experienced players to a defensive backs group that struggled mightily last season, in part due to season-ending injuries for safety Antwan Cordy and cornerback Juwan Dowels.

"The biggest thing is we're looking for guys who can play right now on defense," Babers said. "We went with some high school freshmen; everybody that we signed, we thought they were capable of playing early. If they weren't capable of playing early, we decided to wait a little bit to see if we could get an older guy because we think we need experience on the back end to go with the youth that's being developed up front."

The Orange signed two high school defensive backs in Ifeatu Melifonwu and Eric Coley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom