CBS VP Mike Aresco new Big East Commish | Syracusefan.com

CBS VP Mike Aresco new Big East Commish

Since we're leaving in 10.5 months ... do we sent flowers, or just a card.

aresco_new.jpg

MICHAEL L. ARESCO
(Executive Vice President, Programming)
CBS Sports

Michael L. Aresco was named Executive Vice President, Programming in June 2008 after having been Senior Vice President, Programming, since 2000. In his new expanded role, Aresco is responsible for all college programming for both CBS Sports and CBS College Sports Network. He also continues to help shape the strategy for growing CBS College Sports Network.

Aresco joined CBS Sports as Vice President, Programming, in August 1996 and was promoted to Senior Vice President in 2000. He is responsible for managing the division's college sports properties, including contract negotiations and future acquisitions for the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship, regular season college basketball and football, and bowl games. He is also responsible for administering the Network's various NCAA properties including internet, marketing, radio, licensing, publishing and outdoor programming.

http://www.cbssports.com/cbssports/team/maresco

However, he does have a uconn law degree. So we can expect more lawsuits.

With a law degree like that, the Big East will be the plantiff in the People's Court or Judge Judy! They would be better off filing a suit via legal zoom.

Class action lawsuit against the BE for anyone who has to watch UConn v. The Girls on a Tuesday night from the bar of the Holiday Inn in Charleston, W.V. It was that or reruns of the Golden Girls. Permanent mental scarring.

bigeast.jpg

This was leaked from his presentation to Marinara on ideas for the future expansion plans of Sun Beast

Boston = Tufts
Buffalo = Canisius College
Cleveland = Case Western
Pittsburgh = Dusquene
Baltimore = UMBC
New York = CCNY
Philly = LaSalle
Virginia Beach = Norfolk State (Rutgers designated rival)
Providence = Brown (remains the center of the sporting universe)

Google him. Good resume and experience in sports negotiations. However, he does have a uconn law degree. So we can expect more lawsuits.

At this point, isn't hiring a guy with top notch abilities in sports negotiations kinda like closing the barn door after all the prized horses fled? What is left to negotiate? Seems like the NNBE is still a day late and a dollar short. Thank Heavens we are out of this mess.

NBC may offer a very good per team TV value...probably $12-$14 million for all in teams...and dont forget, Notre Dame and NBC have a thing together and this may prevent the ACC doing certain things with ND...like Orange Bowl and partial or all in...this is one of reasons nothing has happened yet in these areas.

Never heard of him.

Smart pick.

TV runs college football.

This guy is a college TV professional.

If anybody can help the BE obtain a solid TV contract he's the guy to do it.

As Danny Parkins said on twitter, the Big East really doesn't deserve much credit for making a no-brainer decision. If this league couldn't figure out that they needed to reverse course away from the Providence mafia and get a tv guy with an impending tv negotiation, then there really was no helping them. Pretty obvious that they needed to go TV guy. As far as whether he's the right TV guy and whether he will do a good job or not, I won't pretend to know who he is. But sounds like his resume is more than up to snuff. Cant do any worse than the clowns that have been running the show for the last 15-20 years.

The Big East should consider themselves very, very fortunate that all of this is happening in concurrence with the start-up of NBC Sports Network. They need inventory and probably will be willing to overpay for it, maybe to the tune of 12-14 mill per team as has been recently reported. Good for them. Still a minor league conference but sounds like they are at least trying to make the best of it (at least until Lville bails).

Never heard of him.

He already knows roughly how much the conference will get and he said that to the Chancellors.

And, my sense is...he was on the aggressive side of the end number. Media guys...

I don't wish any of the remaining BE schools any ill will. (even Rutgers) This is a good hire for them. Hopefully they can indeed get a contract that is north of $10m per school.

But with 20+ schools, I find it hard to believe that someone would pay $200m per year for Big East content. I could be wrong though.

I think the two moves the big east has made are both solid and with notre dames relationship with nbc this could be a very good thing for them, especially adding in the new push for sports networking by nbc. Plus, the football schools will be by the sounds of it getting a decent piece of change and could be close to what the ACC is getting now. This is why Swofford is disliked and it's not because of his true skills as a commish but his behind the scenes deals to those close to him and his protection of north carolina.

Big East...and the new Big Geographically has two assests that could result in a large chunk of $$$.
1. The entry of NBC into a sports network with content needed
2. Notre Dame with its contract with NBC coming up in a couple of years has the drawing power to potentially help the BE even as a partial
3. The BE spans the USA east to west...it would be possible to have live football on TV from noon to after midnight---no other conference can do this
4. This will be a potential bidding war if ESPN wants to control the BE vs. NBC and maybe even CBS
--what ESPN does in the negotiations will provide info as to what is going on with the ACC and what may happen with teams like FSU that already are displeased with ACC contract vs. Big 12 and of course what Notre Dame eventually does

One of the interesting points of all this will be: If ESPN truly values the ACC, and NBC loads the BE with $$$ will ESPN do something proactively to raise the $$$ for the ACC...from more dollars per year to release of Tier 3...lots going on and at the moment the ACC is not the center of the universe...stand-by!

Good hire but about 2 years too late to save the BE as a football-inclusive league.

Big East...and the new Big Geographically has two assests that could result in a large chunk of $$$.

3. The BE spans the USA east to west...it would be possible to have live football on TV from noon to after midnight---no other conference can do this

Maybe I'm dense, but I really don't understand the significance of this. There are plenty of teams across all the time zones that play big time college football. In fact under the current system you can watch college football from noon to after midnight every Saturday. The fact that the Big East will have teams in all time zones doesn't mean that the match-ups will be more compelling than what other networks can broadcast opposite the Big East games.

If this league couldn't figure out that they needed to reverse course away from the Providence mafia and get a tv guy with an impending tv negotiation, then there really was no helping them.

I agree that they finally got it by moving away from Providence. But I am not sure a TV guy at this point makes a whole lot of sense. It would have made a ton of sense when Mikey T left. But now what is the real benefit? The numbers for TV are pretty much out there already from ESPN and NBC. How much can this guy really increase those numbers? Will he be able to make a significant change to those? And once the 10+ year TV contract is signed what value does this guy add for the next 10+ years? Wouldn't his value greatly diminish? Won't he have to learn on the job? Why not just hire the guy as a consultant and let him run the TV deal on behalf of the conference? Then hire a commish who has experience dealing with college athletics and universities in general?

Good hire but about 2 years too late to save the BE as a football-inclusive league.

More like 9 years too late.

Maybe I'm dense, but I really don't understand the significance of this. There are plenty of teams across all the time zones that play big time college football. In fact under the current system you can watch college football from noon to after midnight every Saturday. The fact that the Big East will have teams in all time zones doesn't mean that the match-ups will be more compelling than what other networks can broadcast opposite the Big East games.
Not only that, but Sand Diego and Boise will spend the next few years searching the want ads for a new conference...and will be gone before any rivalries can start...not to mention all the other football-playing schools in the BE.

Agreed & someone please explain to me why NBC would knowingly over pay for a product unless they were in a bidding war. But who are they bidding against? Also, does NBC think that their content in the Central & Pacific time zones are actually going to compete against content from the Big 10, Big 12 or the PAC 12? What advertisers are going to pay for games with little or no viewership? I don't pretend to understand the television industry, but this violates basic business sense. You don't buy a used Pinto just to have a car like your neighbor (when he owns a BMW).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom