Center recruits | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Center recruits

No one on the recruiting trail even knows who Bowie is. He would have no connections to AAU teams.

You wouldn't be hiring Rosie to recruit, although he has great overseas networks.
Rosie was a very fundamentally solid C. I'm sure he could teach our young 'uns a thing or two.

And while we're at it, I think every preseason they should bring in DC and Billy Owens for a week to teach these guys some of the darker arts and proper attitude of being a big man.

All dunks. He was offensively challenged. Great defender, and an all time SU great. If he could shoot, he would have played in the NBA. BTW, Etan averaged 13&8. Would you want him teaching offense to big men.

All dunks. He was offensively challenged. Great defender, and an all time SU great. If he could shoot, he would have played in the NBA. BTW, Etan averaged 13&8. Would you want him teaching offense to big men.

16 ppg shows he wasn’t offensively challenged. He was drafted #32. 65% FG percentage shows he could shoot. Who brought up Etan? I didn’t

Hire DC for the same role Devo had

We're getting lost in the weeds: 1) I mentioned Rosie as a possibility because he's well known and understands the position. But he was just an example; 2) a big 'guru' doesn't necessarily have to be a former big. Hop was a guard and he knew the position and worked with bigs at the Pics.

The point is, if they decide it's the right move, JB and JW will be able to find a candidate that checks both boxes ... high level recruiting and player development. Seems this is a piece missing from the staff. JMO.

Last edited:
We're getting lost in the weeds: 1) I mentioned Rosie as a possibility because he's well known and understands the position. But he was just an example; 2) a big 'guru' doesn't necessarily have to be a former big. Hop was a guard and he knew the position and worked with bigs at the Pics.

The point is, if they decide it's the right move, JB and JW will be able to find a candidate that checks both boxes ... high level recruiting and player development. Seems this is a piece missing from the staff. JMO.

Who gets canned to create the opening to bring in this unicorn big man guru/recruiting stud?

Getting back to the Center recruits - things are looking better now for potential help for next year - Tre or Smits (or Carrigan).

I prefer Tre or Smits over Carrigan, but am having a hard time choosing between the two. How are people ranking these two?

Getting back to the Center recruits - things are looking better now for potential help for next year - Tre or Smits (or Carrigan).

I prefer Tre or Smits over Carrigan, but am having a hard time choosing between the two. How are people ranking these two?
Smits and it's not even close. The other kid has potential but is a virtual unknown.

Smits hasn't even talked to anyone, and is looking at the NBA. Bird in the hand, if there is one.

Likely one the main reasons why we didn’t get qudus is our reluctance to feed the post.

Likely one the main reasons why we didn’t get qudus is our reluctance to feed the post.

Your view is based on the recent teams that were fielded. Really had not had a scoring option at center for a number of years especially since R. Christmas who was a main scoring option his senior year. Had difficulty with Pascal catching the passes, turning and attempting to score. Sidibe had potential and then got hurt.

Believe that if we had a Center recruit that could score then the passes to him will come. Let’s see how Jesse Edwards does but give him time (maybe a year) to situate to the high majors college game.

Can unequivocally say that one of the ways other coaches recruit against us is to tell big men that we don’t feed the post. Goes back a long way.

Can unequivocally say that one of the ways other coaches recruit against us is to tell big men that we don’t feed the post. Goes back a long way.

Yes, SU has been more concerned with a center’s defensive potential to anchor the zone than offensive for decades.