Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 174 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girard will be a much better college bball player than Paulus ever was. JGIII is really good with the ball in his hands and he is very difficult to stay in front of.

Checkout some of his AAU and other non-Glenns Falls highlights. He seems to have the ability to lift his game to the necessary level to standout.
While I think his shooting will most definitely translate, and I do think he has an adequate handle, I'm not sure ACC guards are going to struggle staying in front of him. I really hope I'm wrong though!

his game is very hard to read. he shot like 14-47 from 3 this weekend. but he took so few clean shots who know how that translates. still he went by 1-1 almost every time. i think quicker guards will always be an issue for his style and finishing at the rim at his size may be tough too but to think he wont shoot at the same level as Buddy is not a stretch. buddy comes in and teams know he can shoot and he still finds 4-5 pretty solid looks a game, so given 10-15 min and buddys time i think we can see between them 8-15 looks a game making 6-8 a game as the norm. Now throw Hughes in and who knows.

his game is very hard to read. he shot like 14-47 from 3 this weekend. but he took so few clean shots who know how that translates. still he went by 1-1 almost every time. i think quicker guards will always be an issue for his style and finishing at the rim at his size may be tough too but to think he wont shoot at the same level as Buddy is not a stretch. buddy comes in and teams know he can shoot and he still finds 4-5 pretty solid looks a game, so given 10-15 min and buddys time i think we can see between them 8-15 looks a game making 6-8 a game as the norm. Now throw Hughes in and who knows.

His shot selection particularly in the championship game was absolutely terrible. Rushing shots with two guys on him from 30 feet out when he didn't need to isn't something he will do here or he will be on the bench. That was kind of what I was getting at in my previous posts.

Last edited:
His shot selection particularly in the championship game was absolutely terrible. Rushing shots with two guys on him from 30 feet out when he didn't need to isn't something he will do here or he will be in the bench. That was kind of what I was getting at in my previous posts.
No one can possibly think that he will have the burden at SU that he had at GF. His job was not to score; it was to carry the team to a state title. JGIII taking tough, contested shots was probably almost always a better option than his teammates taking open shots. That was his job. That won't be his job at SU. There it will be, take the shot if your open, otherwise pass it to the open shooter.
Almost everyone in college was the best guy in high school. Few alphas emerge from college. Other players adjust their games to fill roles. Same thing with the NBA.

His shot selection particularly in the championship game was absolutely terrible. Rushing shots with two guys on him from 30 feet out when he didn't need to isn't something he will do here or he will be in the bench. That was kind of what I was getting at in my previous posts.
I've seen him play five times now and that double teaming was by far the best defensive effort on him. And he still got 50 points. That's what is amazing about him. Now obviously everyone will be bigger, stronger and faster and he will need to rely on more open shots but then again, his teammates will also be much more talented. The floor should be much more open for him and teams won't be focusing in on him.

I've seen him play five times now and that double teaming was by far the best defensive effort on him. And he still got 50 points. That's what is amazing about him. Now obviously everyone will be bigger, stronger and faster and he will need to rely on more open shots but then again, his teammates will also be much more talented. The floor should be much more open for him and teams won't be focusing in on him.

I’ve seen him the same. The passing is what concerns me the most about his skills. Not doubting his scoring ability. I still don’t think we have a true PG on the roster though.

How many 3's did he take from the 3 point Line and uncontested.
I can't remember very many from the line area..

IMO, JG3 will have a great shot at point guard-ish. One of the two guards.
Of course JG3 has shot/range. But I think JG3's coachability, and bball iq will also help get him on the floor. For instance J Carey came in and you know he needed to not turn the ball over to get JB's trust, and for some reason just couldn't do it. I don't see that lack of communication or focus out of JG3. He will earn JB's trust by being a gamer.

I think he has the fortitude to get minutes at both guard spots. He will be an upgrade from the FH we saw a lot of this season (minus ACC tourney) i would agree his passing is the big question mark on him, he handles the ball well enough and expected it to get better before next season

I think he has the fortitude to get minutes at both guard spots. He will be an upgrade from the FH we saw a lot of this season (minus ACC tourney) i would agree his passing is the big question mark on him, he handles the ball well enough and expected it to get better before next season

I am not sure why people question his passing ability, outside of his High School play where he was the primary option and him passing was not usually desirable, he distributed the ball well in AAU and in NYC streetball where I saw him. JG3 was a qb in football, so kind of think he can pass the ball when called for. He is the kind of player that has the mentality of doing whatever he needs to to win.

i think he can get in better shape too , a little more burst wont hurt

He is better athletically than many on here have intimated, but yes he certainly can improve on both strength and athleticism. He will come in and compete strongly from the get go, and that is great as far as I am concerned. Let the best competitors see the most floor time, and that is the way it should be. I think he will be a great competitor.

I am not sure why people question his passing ability, outside of his High School play where he was the primary option and him passing was not usually desirable, he distributed the ball well in AAU and in NYC streetball where I saw him. JG3 was a qb in football, so kind of think he can pass the ball when called for. He is the kind of player that has the mentality of doing whatever he needs to to win.

Consider i watched the past 2 games and several others in the past. He made some sloppy passes with way less athletic players guarding him then he will see in major D1 hoops. Sorry i don’t have blinders on and think everyone who dons the Syracuse Orange uniform doesn’t have weaknesses. That was the biggest weakness i noticed when watching in person, i think he has a great shot at seeing big minutes and the potential to possibly start.

My favorite part about that whole video is #6 talking all that ish just for joe to school him time after time and after that happened he turned into a b$*#% and started acting all friendly with him. Joe was talking all that ish too. I love it.

it will help when the guys you are throwing too are not 5'5 and can run and jump. he is a good passer, but he gets lazy too.. like another PG we have

Never saw a triangle and two where BOTH of the TWO shadowed the same opposing player.

Federation game is 3pm sat vs south bronx prep, if they win 4pm sunday

they must be hoping for a big home crowd its the only game in the 2nd session on sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom