Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish he and Stewart would visit together.
Girard has a choice to be batman at SU or robin at duke. Him going after football at psu tells me he was to make his own legacy.

Kid has a chance to win over a half million central new yorkers just by hitting some threes in a dome

JG at Cuse.
1280543D-9486-418E-89DE-23DB25DDB5E8.jpeg

agree. football coach is helping hoops coach recruit. There is no chance he goes there for hoops alone. So saying he could maybe play some QB helps the sell.
With Moorhead and Barkley gone, I don't see Penn State having a terrific offense any longer. Syracuse is still looking for a QB in the 2019 class and has an offense that is tailor made for Joe's talents.

Syracuse has had its 3rd string QB play lots of minutes every year of the Babers era.

Driving distance from Glens Falls...

SyracuseState CollegeAnn ArborDurhamSouth Bend

I was looking at some of his highlights on You-Tube after Axeman was raving about him today and came across this:

Here's a list of the all-time top high school scorers.
Top 10 single-season high school basketball scoring averages, including Bjorn Broman's 7th-place finish - MaxPreps

Not a lot of superstars there.

This is the longest video I have personally watched of Joe.

He reminds me of GMAC in terms of a quick release and great shooting form. He also has a nice upfake and stepback moves to free up his shot.

Everybody says he lacks PG skills, but it looks like he has a nice handle, and that may be more a matter of mindset than bona fide lack of PG skills.

When somebody averages 50 PPG, you have to ask whether or not this is a selfish player or whether or not he just has teammates with few skills. no way to answer that from this video. maybe other posters who have seen more of Joe could answer that question.

On the negative side, while he seemed to be pretty quick, there was not much evidence of flat out speed or athleticism.

All in all, it is hard to imagine that he would not help a "gang that can't shoot straight" team. It would also be hard to imagine Joe and Buddy on the court at the same time, so if Joe came here, those two would probably be competing for the same minutes.

I dont know that Buddy cant play some SF at 6-5 and Girard play the 2. the fact hat he is coming on a visit must mean the coaches see a spot for him. We dont need a SF that can attack but 2 guys who can shoot is something we havent seen in a while and 2 guys who likely play 4 yrs who can shoot would be even better.

I like that he plays football. However he is not playing QB at a big time school. I also think he and his family are savvy enough to understand that. IF that was the case he should go Ivies (assuming his ggrades are in order).

I think you got it backwards. I believe McNabb and Tuten had the football scholies and walked on for hoops. Not sure about Williams.

Isn't there a rule about who gets charged with the scholarships based on the size of the teams?

When a kid plays both FB and BB the scholarship counts against football’s 85.
The rule is intended to prevent abuse of the 85 scholarship limit. Specifically, teams use to "hide" football players as track scholarships, thus not applying to the 85 limit. This rule eliminated that loophole.

I think you got it backwards. I believe McNabb and Tuten had the football scholies and walked on for hoops. Not sure about Williams.

You're right. I guess what I was intending was as long as you're on scholarship for something, why would a second scholarship need to be used?

Isn't there a rule about who gets charged with the scholarships based on the size of the teams?

No doubt! When it involves the NCAA there is always a rule; whether anyone understands it or follows it is an entirely different question.

I
No doubt! When it involves the NCAA there is always a rule; whether anyone understands it or follows it is an entirely different question.
I actually think this is a necessary rule; otherwise, many schools who lack integrity would just be offering kids scholarships for whatever sports in order to avoid having to use their f-ball scholarships. You'd have the UNC's of the world not only making up fake classes, but they would have some new made-up sport that doesn't play against any other schools, just so they could get a kid on the f-ball team lol.

I

I actually think this is a necessary rule; otherwise, many schools who lack integrity would just be offering kids scholarships for whatever sports in order to avoid having to use their -ball scholarships. You'd have the UNC's of the world not only making up fake classes, but they would have some new made-up sport that doesn't play against any other schools, just so they could get a kid on the -ball team lol.

In principle I might agree, but I wonder what would stop a school like Minnesota or East Carolina that had a top 15 baseball program this year, from taking a bunch of baseball recruits and putting them on their relatively speaking mediocre football team to defeat whatever scholarship limits might apply to baseball. Maybe that isn't the best example, but isn't there always a way for someone to game the rules.

The rule is intended to prevent abuse of the 85 scholarship limit. Specifically, teams use to "hide" football players as track scholarships, thus not applying to the 85 limit. This rule eliminated that loophole.

Exactly - the Miami rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors