Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 89 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee we only got that with your last 1500 posts.
Quade, The Duke Kid not sure why but you either can recruit or not. There are no excuses this year. Lets see what the staff can do.

Quade, The Duke Kid not sure why but you either can recruit or not. There are no excuses this year. Lets see what the staff can do.

Yeah. Who doesn’t lose recruits to Duke and UK?

There is no reason we cant compete with any team for recruits. Seriously that is such a defeatist attitude.

It’s completely realistic. We don’t need to either. We should follow the Villanova model and it just so happens we have everyone back this year.

By the way Goodine is fantastic and Gerry found him. Sooo your posts kind of don’t make sense...

We absolutely should be able to consistently compete in recruiting battles with just about everyone outside of Duke and Kentucky. I agree that Nova has a nice model of success. I did a side by side comparison of our recruiting with them and it resulted in some interesting findings.

SU In 2013:
Ennis #23 4 star (NBA)
BJ #89 4 star (transferred)
Ron Patterson #175 3 star (bust)
Tyler Roberson #41 4 star (4 yr, no NBA)
Chino #180 3 star (transferred)

Nova In 2013:
Kris Jenkins #76 4 star (NBA)
Josh Hart #79 4 star (NBA)
Daryl Reynolds #358 2 star

SU in 2014
Chris McCullough #21 5* (NBA)
Kaleb Joseph #48 4 star (dud)

Nova in 2014
Phil Booth #75 4 star (returning)
Mikal Bridges #81 4 star (NBA)

SU in 2015
Malachi #34 4 star (NBA)
Lydon #72 4 star (NBA)
Frank #79 4 star (returning)

Nova in 2015
Donte Divenchenzo #124 4 star (NBA)
Jalen Brunson #22 5 star (NBA)
Tim Delaney #186 3 star

SU in 2016
Tyus Battle #34 4 star
Moyer #66 4 star (transferred)
Taurean Thompson #74 4 star (transferred)

Nova in 2016
Omari Spellman #20 5 star (NBA)
Dylan Painter #136 3 star

SU in 2017
Dolejaz #111 4 star
Sidibe #190 3 star
Washington #289 3 star
Brissett #137 3/4 stars (underrated)

Nova in 2017
Jermaine Samuels #46 4 star
D Cosby Rountree #97 4 star
Collin Gillepsie #200 3 star

After viewing this data a few things jump out:
1. Our player rankings have been close to that of Nova
2. Nova's 4 star guys they have had more success in the NBA, and have brought them 2 championships.
3. We have had six 3 and 4 star guys either be a total bust or transfer out in the last 5 years. That's not happening at Nova.

Conclusion/Questions:
1. Since we are recruiting at a similar pace, why are their recruits staying at Nova, while many of ours are leaving? Are our recruits unhappy at SU and if so why?
2. Why are their recruits fairing better in their pro careers than ours and why do we have so many busts? Are we not scouting as well as we thought we were?
3. Is the ACC helping or hindering our recruiting efforts?
4. What can we do to improve?

Last edited:
Based on the number of transfers, lots of kids don't make the right decision.
Sure they do. Then they get more information, and based upon that, they may change their decision. You can only make choices upon the information at hand. Learning how to make decisions is a skill.
No one knows what his decision criteria are.

It’s completely realistic. We don’t need to either. We should follow the Villanova model and it just so happens we have everyone back this year.

By the way Goodine is fantastic and Gerry found him. Sooo your posts kind of don’t make sense...
Goodine is a bad example because he loved Syracuse beforehand and his uncle I believe was pushing him to play at Syracuse without the assistance from Gmac. All he needed was a scholarship offer.

Goodine is a bad example because he loved Syracuse beforehand and his uncle I believe was pushing him to play at Syracuse without the assistance from Gmac. All he needed was a scholarship offer.
The last 5 years have been difficult for SU on the recruiting front. I agree that sanctions, the uncertainty surrounding JB/Hop have all contributed. At this point there are no longer any excuses. Lets see who Gerry Red and Griff can land. Jim seems to be putting in the time so hopefully we end up with a great class.

[QUOTE="Capt. Tuttle, post: 2657098, member: 191]Sure they do. Then they get more information, and based upon that, they may change their decision. You can only make choices upon the information at hand. Learning how to make decisions is a skill.
No one knows what his decision criteria are.[/QUOTE]
I disagree.

Disagree. If we don’t go after Swider we may never get Goodine.

We absolutely should be able to consistently compete in recruiting battles with just about everyone outside of Duke and Kentucky. I agree that Nova has a nice model of success. I did a side by side comparison of our recruiting with them and it resulted in some interesting findings.

SU In 2013:
Ennis #23 4 star (NBA)
BJ #89 4 star (transferred)
Ron Patterson #175 3 star (bust)
Tyler Roberson #41 4 star (4 yr, no NBA)
Chino #180 3 star (transferred)

Nova In 2013:
Kris Jenkins #76 4 star (NBA)
Josh Hart #79 4 star (NBA)
Daryl Reynolds #358 2 star

SU in 2014
Chris McCullough #21 5* (NBA)
Kaleb Joseph #48 4 star (dud)

Nova in 2014
Phil Booth #75 4 star (returning)
Mikal Bridges #81 4 star (NBA)

SU in 2015
Malachi #34 4 star (NBA)
Lydon #72 4 star (NBA)
Frank #79 4 star (returning)

Nova in 2015
Donte Divenchenzo #124 4 star (NBA)
Jalen Brunson #22 5 star (NBA)
Tim Delaney #186 3 star

SU in 2016
Tyus Battle #34 4 star
Moyer #66 4 star (transferred)
Taurean Thompson #74 4 star (transferred)

Nova in 2016
Omari Spellman #20 5 star (NBA)
Dylan Painter #136 3 star

SU in 2017
Dolejaz #111 4 star
Sidibe #190 3 star
Washington #289 3 star
Brissett #137 3/4 stars (underrated)

Nova in 2017
Jermaine Samuels #46 4 star
D Cosby Rountree #97 4 star
Collin Gillepsie #200 3 star

After viewing this data a few things jump out:
1. Our player rankings have been close to that of Nova
2. Nova's 4 star guys they have had more success in the NBA, and have brought them 2 championships.
3. We have had six 3 and 4 star guys either be a total bust or transfer out in the last 5 years. That's not happening at Nova.

Conclusion/Questions:
1. Since we are recruiting at a similar pace, why are their recruits staying at Nova, while many of ours are leaving? Are our recruits unhappy at SU and if so why?
2. Why are their recruits fairing better in their pro careers than ours and why do we have so many busts? Are we not scouting as well as we thought we were?
3. Is the ACC helping or hindering our recruiting efforts?
4. What can we do to improve?

I have a good friend who is a big Nova fan. Until they won the NC he always thought we ate their lunch in recruiting.

The only thing I see in your list is that we haven’t had all that many head to head battles with them and aside from Brunson and Spellman they haven’t recruited at that high a level.

In recent years they’ve done a better job of identifying mid level prospects who are very good or done a better job developing those types of kids. We’ve had a lot more kids leave early, which may explain the difference in results because our recruiting looks better, or not all that different than theirs.

Last edited:
I have a good friend who is a big Nova fan. Until they won the NC he always thought we ate their lunch in recruiting.

The only thing I see in your list. Is that we haven’t had all that many head to head battles with them. Aside from Brunson and Spellman they haven’t recruited at that high a level. In recent years they’ve done a better job of identifying mid level prospects who are very good or done a better job developing those types of kids. We’ve had a lot more kids leave early, which may explain the difference in results because our recruiting looks better, or not all that different than theirs.
That's all you observed from that data? Wow. Can you offer some insight into my questions?

the staff showed their stuff with oshae, boo, marek, howard. that was an ace class.
then they followed it up with bazley, carey and buddy. then rebounded nicely with braswell when baz went pro.

they really have nothing left to prove.

the staff showed their stuff with oshae, boo, marek, howard. that was an ace class.
then they followed it up with bazley, carey and buddy. then rebounded nicely with braswell when baz went pro.

they really have nothing left to prove.
Howard and Marek were late fills. Baz was a griff gift. Oshae and Carey are good gets. Braswell has upside. I would hope JB could land his son. Basically 2 solid recruits. Going forward we had better pick it up.

Howard and Marek were late fills. Baz was a griff gift. Oshae and Carey are good gets. Braswell has upside. I would hope JB could land his son. Basically 2 solid recruits. Going forward we had better pick it up.
this is an utterly dishonest response. why even bother to engage with you anymore?

We have a chance for a pretty nice team this year. I don’t know about you, but I’m going to enjoy it.

Where’s the fun in that?
It is much better than wondering if we can even compete. We’re in a tough league and all of us old timers are used to sustained success. I think we get back on track this year. I’m not making predictions other than I suspect we will be a team that other teams are not looking forward to playing.

this is an utterly dishonest response. why even bother to engage with you anymore?
I have followed the team since Roys Runts. My answer is spot on. Oshae, Carey, and Sid are good gets. Howard, and Braz have a chance to be good. You cant count Buddy. We need to land a 5 4 and 3 this year. We have a HOF coach, Storied program, no sanctions and lots of PT to offer. Lets see if we can land our primary targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom