Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 97 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to repeat a point already made but when the competition level has gone up his numbers have gone way down. So 50 pts a game is awesome but competition level matters. Also I'm not underselling him. Never did I say he wasn't as good as anyone including HW. My point was that there is competition. And if you think he automatically walks in ahead of a 3rd year HW you are underselling HW just the same. Girard has some questions per what is out there in AAU play. I still want him the kid can ball but let's not just annoint him a sure fire Gerry 2.0 as a frosh just yet.
But those teams aren't scheming to get him open, like JB can.

Except - he’s not remotely that same type of scorer the second he goes up against high-level talent in the AAU circuit.
Against future D1 opponents, he’s just another guy.

Important note - he’ll be playing against exclusively D1 talent in college.

I’d love to see him in Orange, but I can also see why several of his other options might be much better fits for him.

I think if he can hit from three then he can hit from three. On any court, against anyone.

I think if he can hit from three then he can hit from three. On any court, against anyone.

It doesn't always really work that way... When you go up against bigger, faster athletes who can close out quicker, it's a lot harder to get open and to get the shot off - and when you do get the shot off, sometimes you have to rush your mechanics.

It doesn't always really work that way... When you go up against bigger, faster athletes who can close out quicker, it's a lot harder to get open and to get the shot off - and when you do get the shot off, sometimes you have to rush your mechanics.
Conversely the basket looks a lot bigger when you're a third or fourth option and have open shots as opposed to when you're getting double teamed because you're the focal point of the offense scoring 50/game

Coaches have “their guys”. That’s it. If we get JG it will likely cost us others.

I agree but isn’t that always the way? Are you still feeling confident on this front?

Not taking sides but I think we need to land him. Im with you KC on gmac needing to close on recruits, Goodine doesn’t count in my eyes because he wanted to come here since day one and there was no recruiting battle, hence the early commit. Girard is a great shooter and “local”. Shooters are always in need. He has allure and the potential of busloads of fans coming on game day.

Then promptly takes a side. lol

Coaches have “their guys”. That’s it. If we get JG it will likely cost us others.
1R3OHNc.gif

JG obviously won't pour in points like in high school, but we recently have sorely lacked a guy who could hit the three when a teammate penetrated and kicked it out. JG can do that plus he has a scorer's mentality and will figure out ways to score. I see him as a bigger GMac who has more ways to score.

i've been under the assumption that we end up with a class of goodine/guerrier/akok/wahab or something very similar

then fill it out with either jgiii or jba

Don't most recruits come at the cost of other recruits? And doesn't that assume that recruit 2 was yours, even though he hasn't committed to you?

I'd sign up for that in a second. Even just those main 4.
honestly, even 2 of 4 if the other one is akok

if we never knew we were involved with quincy & qudus, a class of goodine, akok, jgiii and jba would be considered a very good haul
but add q&q . . . wow.

honestly, even 2 of 4 if the other one is akok

if we never knew we were involved with quincy & qudus, a class of goodine, akok, jgiii and jba would be considered a very good haul
but add q&q . . . wow.
Who’s jba?

Don't most recruits come at the cost of other recruits? And doesn't that assume that recruit 2 was yours, even though he hasn't committed to you?
Yeah which is why it’s an overstatement by some to imply coaches are not all for JG3

Joe, you and Isaiah coming to Cuse would tip the scales. It would be on for the National Championship. Is it doable? Make it happen young man and let’s bring something special back to New York for family and friends to enjoy and relish. It’s an incredible stage to play on and you know it!

Jimmer Fredette scored a lot of points and shot 3's well at Glens Falls. I assume JF in high school played against similar competition as JGIII. Fredette also did well at BYU...so why won't JGIII be able to transfer his shooting talent to college?

Fredette shot 38% 44% 39% from 3 at BYU his last 3 years...after playing limited minutes as a freshman.

Is this another Golden situation? I remember we had a similar crystal ball and then out of nowhere he decided on PITT. Hopefully I’m just being paranoid

Jimmer Fredette scored a lot of points and shot 3's well at Glens Falls. I assume JF in high school played against similar competition as JGIII. Fredette also did well at BYU...so why won't JGIII be able to transfer his shooting talent to college?

Fredette shot 38% 44% 39% from 3 at BYU his last 3 years...after playing limited minutes as a freshman.
I'm not here to pick a side. But BYU isn't in the ACC.

Also, just because they played at the same HS and Jimmer succeeded doesn't necessarily mean JG will. Or JG could be more successful. Guys who go to Oak Hill are less successful at the next level sometimes than guys who go to small public high schools. It's really hard to to compare 2 players in that sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom