Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 78 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
This all sounds good, but I thought he was going to commit three weeks ago. Obviously, the vist wasn’t as over whelming as some thought.

This all sounds good, but I thought he was going to commit three weeks ago. Obviously, the vist wasn’t as over whelming as some thought.
This is from the "glue guy" article from the Detroit Free Press. He is still busy with AAU but nothing is being written about him going on any more official visits. I can't believe he will want to juggle football, basketball recruiting and school all at once. Not sure what he is waiting for though.
Commitment timetable/potential visits
Girard is also a talented quarterback, so his August will be busy with football. Still, he’s going to try to sift through his schedule and set officials “whenever I can.”
In terms of a commitment, Girard said he has no date in mind for a verbal pledge. But he knows he wants to sign with his school during the early period in November.

Paying a lot of Friday night games makes "official" visits easier, but the kid is going to have a hectic Fall. Still love that he won't bail on his football team. Life experiences trump all.

why did you think he'd commit without taking any other official visits?

Yeah, I hope we grab him but that is a big concern for me. We don't do a great job creating open looks for shooters consistently. The best guys we've had have either been able to shoot well off screens (Rautins), create opportunities for themselves (GMac and Devo) or hit contested shots (Devo, White, Nichols). The only spot up shooters that really thrived here, that I can remember, were Janulis (who only shot when wide open) and Shump (who was a very smart basketball player and moved well without the ball).

We've had some nice shooting seasons as a team -- the 09-10 team was super efficient from three, the team two years ago shot the ball well with White/Gillon/Battle/Lydon. But as a general rule we've been spotty in terms of consistently creating open looks.

So Girard would be a great add and I'm sure will be successful here but the one concern is that he's going to have to work a lot harder to get open shots (that probably is true of just about anyone. Not the end of the world but it's hard not to notice how open he is in all those clips.

Southerland was pretty awesome as a spot-up guy for us. There should theoretically be plenty of spot-up opportunities to go around with how much we rely on just taking our man off the dribble or using ball-screens. Being able to create open looks with our system relies on having the ball-handlers that can put pressure on the defense and unfortunately, Howard isn't really that good at that aspect and Battle might not be a good enough passer for it. Hopefully this is a role that Carey can thrive in.

why did you think he'd commit without taking any other official visits?

I'd imagine he may of thought this as a couple of posters here implied that a commitment was coming sooner than later...suggesting as soon as a couple of days immediately after his visit. As often the case with some posts on this site with folks claiming to be in the know, more times than not, it's still just speculation...it appears that's the case again here...at least at this moment.

Not every single player needs to be an impact, 10-12 ppg scorer as a freshman.

If he has a career arc similar to Marius Janulis, I'll take it. 9+ ppg as a junior/senior, solid player for a Final Four team in '95-96 and a 40+% 3-pt. shooter for three of his four years.

For the record, I think he's much, much better than Marius Janulis (no disrespect).

As often the case with some posts on this site with folks claiming to be in the know, more times than not, it's still just speculation...it appears that's the case again here...at least at this moment.

STOP please. We’ve beaten this horse to death. If you’ve identified people who pass themselves off as insiders, but provide information that doesn’t live up to whatever standard you’ve established for inside information, than feel free to ignore them.

But the passive aggressive attacks on “folks claiming to be in the know” just makes the people with good information reluctant to share the information they do have and does ZERO to stop the people who are making it up.

STOP please. We’ve beaten this horse to death. If you’ve identified people who pass themselves off as insiders, but provide information that doesn’t live up to whatever standard you’ve established for inside information, than feel free to ignore them.

But the passive aggressive attacks on “folks claiming to be in the know” just makes the people with good information reluctant to share the information they do have and does ZERO to stop the people who are making it up.

Relax on the psycho babble garb. "Attacks," hardly an attack. Grow some thicker skin if you (or anyone for that matter) interpreted my comment as an "attack,"people are so overly sensitive. If one get their feelings hurt and afterwards wants to take their ball and go home and not provide any additional speculative information, so be it.

Generally, I take most things here with a grain of salt...I haven't established any such "standard" relative to alleged "inside information." Do yourself a favor and maintain your own thinking for yourself versus attempting to express what is actually in someone else's mind, let alone attempting to do it from your keyboard. Peace.

Interview from Detoit paper. This has video and then some quotes in print that were not in the video.

“‘Cuse is the hometown school,” Girard said. “They’ve done a good job with players like me, as well, with (assistant coach Gerry McNamara). He always calls me a few times a week, too, just tells me that there’s really no better person to learn from with him — a guy who played like me. He’s been through it, he knows how to help me and he knows how to help my game to produce at the next level.”

Girard said the Blue Devils view him as a “glue guy.” “They’re going to get the one-and-done five-stars and people like that,” he said. “But every year, they’re going to need somebody to rally those guys around and I’m going to be a multi-year player. That’s how they see me.”
I get the sense that Boston College could be a sleeper here, based on how many times he’s visited there unofficially and his relationship with Christian. Glens Falls is almost as close to Boston as Syracuse. Despite his praise for Chambers and Penn State, I just don’t see it. I think it’s Cuse, unless BC or Michigan pull the upset.

I'd imagine he may of thought this as a couple of posters here implied that a commitment was coming sooner than later...suggesting as soon as a couple of days immediately after his visit. As often the case with some posts on this site with folks claiming to be in the know, more times than not, it's still just speculation...it appears that's the case again here...at least at this moment.
I believe sometimes people that don’t know much on most recruits can be an insider on a certain recruit for whatever reason . So you never know who knows what at times.

Relax on the psycho babble garb. "Attacks," hardly an attack. Grow some thicker skin if you (or anyone for that matter) interpreted my comment as an "attack,"people are so overly sensitive. If one get their feelings hurt and afterwards wants to take their ball and go home and not provide any additional speculative information, so be it.

Generally, I take most things here with a grain of salt...I haven't established any such "standard" relative to alleged "inside information." Do yourself a favor and maintain your own thinking for yourself versus attempting to express what is actually in someone else's mind, let alone attempting to do it from your keyboard. Peace.

Thin skin seems to be catchy. :cool:

Southerland was pretty awesome as a spot-up guy for us. There should theoretically be plenty of spot-up opportunities to go around with how much we rely on just taking our man off the dribble or using ball-screens. Being able to create open looks with our system relies on having the ball-handlers that can put pressure on the defense and unfortunately, Howard isn't really that good at that aspect and Battle might not be a good enough passer for it. Hopefully this is a role that Carey can thrive in.

Yeah and I think in almost any year other than maybe the title team in 03 and the 09-10 group, we don't create the type of open looks that you see really precise offenses generate for shooters. Carolina with their transition game, Duke and Nova with their half-court sets. Michigan is another. I'm not saying we don't do it fairly well, but we aren't typically among the best there (completely anecdotally at least). I'm fine if JGIII signs on the dotted line and think he'd be particularly dangerous b/c of the release and range but I don't think we always do a great job of creating open looks for our shooters consistently.

Not every single player needs to be an impact, 10-12 ppg scorer as a freshman.

If he has a career arc similar to Marius Janulis, I'll take it. 9+ ppg as a junior/senior, solid player for a Final Four team in '95-96 and a 40+% 3-pt. shooter for three of his four years.

For the record, I think he's much, much better than Marius Janulis (no disrespect).

Janulis would be solid if not spectacular return on the scholly but he’s not going to be janulis unless he’s 6’-5”.

To be clear, I think it would be great to land him. A guy who puts up those numbers and is a total stud in two sports is almost always a good get. But the fit is interesting. He’s really not a 2 unless you have a pg who is closer to 6’5” or so.

Thin skin seems to be catchy. :cool:

No doubt...on par with the 'ol high school click days. ;) As Dirk's recent comments on KD suggest, same apply here...people shouldn't take themselves so seriously, especially in these cyber, etc. mediums.

So, do you all think we will get to page 120 in this thread by the time Girard commits in November?

That's a lot of italics

JG struggled in Vegas as well as the entire team, due in large part that Stewart did not play in the tournament. Without Stewart taking up space and dominating the paint, teams pressed up on City Rocks guards and made them look pretty average.

JG struggled in Vegas as well as the entire team, due in large part that Stewart did not play in the tournament. Without Stewart taking up space and dominating the paint, teams pressed up on City Rocks guards and made them look pretty average.

And all of that is fine. When given ample help, he’s proven he can hit open shots. He should have plenty of help at SU.

Im sorry but i wish we would just have G focus on Girard and turn the heavy lifting over to Red and Griff.
JB was on him all week. Relax. Plus, I don't think we are a good fit for Girard. Next year we have Goodine, Carey and Buddy back at guard. I think Mich's system fits him better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom