Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 164 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he's not. Brycen Goodine is way too good to play 10 minutes a game.
I think Goodine and Carey are the starters next year, and Buddy is the first guy off the bench.
I see minutes at guard as more like 25 for Carey, 25 for Buddy, 20 for Goodine and 10 for Girard.

I’ll take that bet.

He’s averaging 11 ppg since the BC game and played well against good teams. We need guys who make buckets and besides, I haven’t ruled out Goodine as pg.

Did anyone watch the GF game today. Caught the game and JG was hot in the first quarter and into the second. Then cooled off was getting double teamed at half court and at times triple teamed.
Olean has a player named Schmitt that kept them in the game, was a good looking player.

Game was also a bit chippy and some talking as well. Bad blood there.

I’ll take that bet.

He’s averaging 11 ppg since the BC game and played well against good teams. We need guys who make buckets and besides, I haven’t ruled out Goodine as pg.

I haven't seen any signs that Goodine plays point at his prep school.
All I see are videos of him making sick dunks.
I don't think Buddy handles it well enough yet to be on the floor for 35 minutes against top flight competition. Maybe by his junior year, but making the jump from 14 minutes a game to 25 seems about right to me, not to put too much pressure on the young man.

If you look at Andy Rautins' career trajectory (our best Buddy comp, IMO), Buddy has been on par with Andy's sophomore year. Andy played 21 minutes that year compared to Buddy's 14 as a frosh (Andy only played 8 min. as a frosh). Andy played 28 minutes as a junior, averaging 10 points a game, and only 32 minutes his senior year.

Andy was a great leader and catalyst for a great team, but his physical limitations meant that he never played 35-38 minutes a game like some of our other guys have played over the years.

Did anyone watch the GF game today. Caught the game and JG was hot in the first quarter and into the second. Then cooled off was getting double teamed at half court and at times triple teamed.
Olean has a player named Schmitt that kept them in the game, was a good looking player.

I was there, think JG3 was 1 for 7 from 3 in second half. Everything he shot was off the dribble with 0 open looks. But I missed the 1st Quarter which was his best evidently

people forget that even in scoring 40-50 that means his team mates are scoring 30-40 and many HS teams only score 50. they really force the pace, this makes teams keep scoring with them and opens the floor

he takes such deep 3s the rebounds go all over and his team mates really work to rebound.

he was really good the first 10-12 then left a bunch short. Never really got to the rim since olean plays pretty good team D and swarmed him.

he has the range but not sure we see 30-35 ft 3s raining in the dome.

I haven't seen any signs that Goodine plays point at his prep school.
All I see are videos of him making sick dunks.
I don't think Buddy handles it well enough yet to be on the floor for 35 minutes against top flight competition. Maybe by his junior year, but making the jump from 14 minutes a game to 25 seems about right to me, not to put too much pressure on the young man.

If you look at Andy Rautins' career trajectory (our best Buddy comp, IMO), Buddy has been on par with Andy's sophomore year. Andy played 21 minutes that year compared to Buddy's 14 as a frosh (Andy only played 8 min. as a frosh). Andy played 28 minutes as a junior, averaging 10 points a game, and only 32 minutes his senior year.

Andy was a great leader and catalyst for a great team, but his physical limitations meant that he never played 35-38 minutes a game like some of our other guys have played over the years.

Orange79 can you move my and Matt’s debate to the Buddy Appreciation board. Thanks.

Joe Girard.

Ok, I have an “I was wrong” statement to write on this kid - but, first, I need to ask a serious question:

How can that possibly not translate to the next level?

Seriously. Watched clip 10 times - catches ball damn near close to half court. Takes all of 2 seconds (literally) to catch & shoot. Great form. Defender makes effort to guard shot, but too late. Give the man another 3 points.

How is that play stopped by an opposing college team? I don’t see how it unfolds any differently, and I’m trying to be open-minded.

Shooting like that has got to transfer to the college level, just has to. Only scenario where I could see it not is if Girard was either 1.) Too short, such that opposing defenders could block or alter the shot and/or 2.) Too slow in his mechanics to get shot off quick enough. But I don’t think either of those things are true of JG3.

Looking for responses/thoughts please

Form is good. Still has to speed up that release. Someone with more patience ought to time a few of his deep threes. The closeouts will be much, much quicker in college. Buddy has the advantage of height to see and shoot over defenders. Girard won't have that. The best shooters in the NBA get off their shot in about 3/4 of a second.

St. Bonnie Men's Coach Mark Schmidt's son.

Carey and Buddy. With Elijah and Oshae. And Sidibe. It will be very interesting to see how the rotation works out especially in the back court with Girard. As we saw this year, don’t think most expected buddy to play so much more than Jalen.
Carey will have to work very hard this offseason to hold Goodine and Girard off imo.

Should be a great competition!

We “should” have a legit 4 guard rotation.

smh at those who don't realize this is a stellar class

We're still missing a piece or two. This is like the 2002 class. Lots of good building blocks, but no immediate stars. We are an Isaiah Stewart away from being a stellar class, IMO.

I was there, think JG3 was 1 for 7 from 3 in second half. Everything he shot was off the dribble with 0 open looks. But I missed the 1st Quarter which was his best evidently

He had I believe 20 in the first quarter.
Any taunting or issues between the teams or fans that you saw?

Did you guys see how far out his first 3-pointer was? I screen grabbed it. This was as pur a swish as you can get, nothing but net to go up 5-2.

That's got to be 30 feet right ?

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

After Watching Lowville at SRC last week and Glens Falls today I'll take Lowville..Balanced

He had I believe 20 in the first quarter.
Any taunting or issues between the teams or fans that you saw?
The Glens Falls Students were trying to be the Cameron crazies and were a bit over the line. I was too far from court to see players. Nothing too bad. There was that. Fracas in the corner by the Olean bench ...I have no idea what that was about.

Last edited:
I was at both B games today. GF has some solid pieces around Joe. I actually felt like he didn’t need to shoot as much as he did. Joe had 16 in the first quarter and then it seemed like he went cold but still ended up with 39. A couple of things jumped out at me...he gave very little effort on defense in this game and he seemed to have a pissy look any time his
boys made a mistake.

I was very impressed with Lowville. Those boys can play and will GF all they want tomorrow night.

We're still missing a piece or two. This is like the 2002 class. Lots of good building blocks, but no immediate stars. We are an Isaiah Stewart away from being a stellar class, IMO.
don't let the perfect be the enemy of the stellar ;)

I was at the game today as well, and he didn’t work hard defensively until late 3rd quarter when he was switched onto Bonnies Coaches Kid. I am wondering if the lack of D was a strategy to stay out of foul trouble and since he has to work so hard offensively. As soon as Olean cut the lead under 10, he guarded their best player and they put them away.

He’s pretty much automatic when he gets feet and shoulders square. When he’s off balance or drifting, he misses.

I thought his team was very solid. All seem to know there role, and accept it, but they have other kids that can play. When he was doubled and tripled he distributed and they got layups. He also rebounded well. Good teammate, really wants to win. It got chippy and he stayed above it for the most part. I was a little turned off by the lack of D early as well, but I think it was strategy because they need him on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom