Chad Ford's Big Board | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chad Ford's Big Board

12th! Holy molly! If Grant leaves after this year I think it will be a big mistake. There are just way too many guys who get drafted, play for one or two years and then drop out of league. There's no doubt in my mind he will get drafted. But will he actually play and continue to develop his game? I don't think so. Grant needs a consistent outside jumper from NBA range. I have not seen it yet. Without a good outside shot Grant will have a very short NBA career. The best way he can ensure lots of playing time is to come back for his Junior year.

But some agent will talk honey in his ear and he will be gone!

I don't think that's really true. I see him filling out a bit and settling in as a face-up PF in the NBA. He has the tools to be a great rebounder, and for a PF, would have very solid ball-handling and passing along with elite athleticism. He can already knock down some mid-range jumpers. If he can just get that a little more consistent and fill out his frame a bit, I think he can be a valuable player in the NBA.

Just gets annoying, half the board doesn't know how to spell Jerami.
Oh I thought you meant levine or whatevs. Cuse fans need to know jerami.

For some kids, staying is a mistake, because their weakness get exposed, like MacAdoo. The time to go is when you are most draftable.
I've always looked at it like this - if you are a player then it really doesn't matter when you go. If you are Tim Duncan, KG, etc, you can go from high school or you can stay 4 years and either way you are going to be a superstar. But if you really CAN'T play, then you better go while someone still thinks that you can.

I've always looked at it like this - if you are a player then it really doesn't matter when you go. If you are Tim Duncan, KG, etc, you can go from high school or you can stay 4 years and either way you are going to be a superstar. But if you really CAN'T play, then you better go while someone still thinks that you can.
This right here, I said it in another thread, you are either an NBA player or not.

For some kids, staying is a mistake, because their weakness get exposed, like MacAdoo. The time to go is when you are most draftable.

So if the kid has weaknesses, gets drafted in the NBA, then his weaknesses will be exposed by better players. The result is a whole year with no playing time. This is exactly my point. Too much talent is giving up an opportunity for a year with lots of playing time in exchange for one or two years of NBA salary. It seems to me college is the time for players to improve their talent so they can actually get playing time in the NBA and have a long successful career instead of a short one.

I don't think that's really true. I see him filling out a bit and settling in as a face-up PF in the NBA. He has the tools to be a great rebounder, and for a PF, would have very solid ball-handling and passing along with elite athleticism. He can already knock down some mid-range jumpers. If he can just get that a little more consistent and fill out his frame a bit, I think he can be a valuable player in the NBA.

I think Grant will be just a okay in the NBA. He needs more strength and a consistent outside jump shot. There's no doubt he will get drafted. The more interesting question will be is he still in the NBA getting playing time three years later after he has been drafted. How much will he be able to improve his game if he is not getting any playing time. By staying in college at least Grant is guaranteed lots of playing time his Junior year in college. Money isn't everything. If Grant want's a long successful career in the NBA he should try to stay in college as long as he can. Once he gets drafted, he will get playing time based on his skill level at that point. The NBA has so much talent you really need to be the top of your game to get any playing time.

Joe Alexander has to be one of the dumbest lottery picks of all time.

The definition of a workout warrior if there ever was one.

I think Grant will be just a okay in the NBA. He needs more strength and a consistent outside jump shot. There's no doubt he will get drafted. The more interesting question will be is he still in the NBA getting playing time three years later after he has been drafted. How much will he be able to improve his game if he is not getting any playing time. By staying in college at least Grant is guaranteed lots of playing time his Junior year in college. Money isn't everything. If Grant want's a long successful career in the NBA he should try to stay in college as long as he can. Once he gets drafted, he will get playing time based on his skill level at that point. The NBA has so much talent you really need to be the top of your game to get any playing time.
practicing with NBA coaches and players will improve his game more than playing against High Point

if you can't spell a players name right you shouldn't be able to comment on him

Ha! Especially since we have many Jews on this board, I'd bet!

practicing with NBA coaches and players will improve his game more than playing against High Point

Yeah, and then a bunch of "DNP Coaches Decision".

Yeah, and then a bunch of "DNP Coaches Decision".

If he was going to get DNP's every game, they'd just send him to the D-League to develop him there.

But I would imagine that if he just adds some muscle over the off-season and continues to practice his mid-range shot, he'll get 10+ minutes a game in the NBA (depending on the team that drafts him). That's enough to continue his development for a while.

yup . . . if you can't develop your game when hoops is your full time job, the notion that you are going to do it in limited college practice time is absurd.

if a guy leaves early and is a bust, he most likely would have been a bust had he returned. if he stays 3 or 4 years and sticks in the association, he most likely would have made it had he left early.

Not this topic again. If it's been said once, it's been said a thousand times; If you are a lottery pick you LEAVE!! JB will tell him the same as he has others in the past.

Grant I assume is finanacially secure...maybe he actually enjoys college. He could spend another year working on his Free Throws.

He started rough this season with ft's, but he only missed 1 ft in Maui, and has been very solid in big games/crunch time.

In most cases I would agree with you, but in Grant's case I think his stock is pretty much recession proof. Another year and there are incredibly strong odds that he would just rise on the draft board. He can, and probably will (he seems to have a great, intelligent support system) put in a lot more factors than just if he is draftable. Grant is a slightly unique case in that aspect IMO. But people have been saying he, unfortunately, is looking to go. SU can handle it though.

The one I am worried about is Ennis. He would/should go based strictly on draftability. I would like to get at least two years out of him. There's no talk about him yet is there?

TexanMark said:
Grant I assume is finanacially secure...maybe he actually enjoys college. He could spend another year working on his Free Throws.

His dad is financially secure, probably, he could be broke like a bunch of other former athletes. Even if Harvey has money, doesn't mean JG is going to be at his dads doorstep for handouts every first of the month.

12th! Holy molly! If Grant leaves after this year I think it will be a big mistake. There are just way too many guys who get drafted, play for one or two years and then drop out of league. There's no doubt in my mind he will get drafted. But will he actually play and continue to develop his game? I don't think so. Grant needs a consistent outside jumper from NBA range. I have not seen it yet. Without a good outside shot Grant will have a very short NBA career. The best way he can ensure lots of playing time is to come back for his Junior year.

But some agent will talk honey in his ear and he will be gone!

MCW. Had some big holes in his game too- seems to have worked out.

Sgt Cuse said:
In most cases I would agree with you, but in Grant's case I think his stock is pretty much recession proof. Another year and there are incredibly strong odds that he would just rise on the draft board. He can, and probably will (he seems to have a great, intelligent support system) put in a lot more factors than just if he is draftable. Grant is a slightly unique case in that aspect IMO. But people have been saying he, unfortunately, is looking to go. SU can handle it though. The one I am worried about is Ennis. He would/should go based strictly on draftability. I would like to get at least two years out of him. There's no talk about him yet is there?

If Grant stays and doesn't improve his jumper, his draftability goes DOWN, and way down. When it comes to a pro career, you strike when the iron is hot. Staying can really screw you if you're already a lottery pick, why take the risk. If grants a top 15 pick and doesn't go, he's not making a smart move.

shermstheman said:
MCW. Had some big holes in his game too- seems to have worked out.

As well as every Cuse lottery pick outside Melo the past 15 years, and many other players who are even top 5 picks. Not everybody coming out is a Lebron, Durant, Anthony Davis, etc etc.

The one I am worried about is Ennis. He would/should go based strictly on draftability. I would like to get at least two years out of him. There's no talk about him yet is there?
2015, but anything could happen. He could certainly blow up this season as evidenced by a kid who has steadily climbed up the rankings as a high school player and now a college freshman.

FWIW, Kaleb Joseph (ESPN's 10th ranked PG) wasn't recruited to be a development project or ride the pine.

If Grant stays and doesn't improve his jumper, his draftability goes DOWN, and way down. When it comes to a pro career, you strike when the iron is hot. Staying can really screw you if you're already a lottery pick, why take the risk. If grants a top 15 pick and doesn't go, he's not making a smart move.
Next year Grant will be stronger, start, play more minutes, and be featured - much the way CJ is now. Grant will also probably make all-ACC squads and be the featured marquee player on a nationally ranked top 5 program. JB knows how to reward returning players and help improve their position.

Secondly, this was supposed to be a strong draft class. Next years will probably be weaker.

Grant will be better and the competition will be weaker. He would absolutely not go lower in 2015 than in 2104.

2015, but anything could happen. He could certainly blow up this season as evidenced by a kid who has steadily climbed up the rankings as a high school player and now a college freshman.

FWIW, Kaleb Joseph (ESPN's 10th ranked PG) wasn't recruited to be a development project or ride the pine.
That's what I'm afraid of, is a Flynn-like rise out of Ennis this year. 2015 is fine. But if we hit the FF and there is talk about Ennis, I think he needs to go when someone wants him. He is different in that he is not a freak athlete, and seems to play a heady game, wise beyond his years.

Bringing a stud recruit in for a learning frosh year is not an insult, especially at SU. It's the way I like to see it done. I think KJ2 with a year under his belt is a lot better way for SU to go. I would much rather see Grant go than Ennis.

Sgt Cuse said:
Next year Grant will be stronger, start, play more minutes, and be featured - much the way CJ is now. Grant will also probably make all-ACC squads and be the featured marquee player on a nationally ranked top 5 program. JB knows how to reward returning players and help improve their position. Secondly, this was supposed to be a strong draft class. Next years will probably be weaker. Grant will be better and the competition will be weaker. He would absolutely not go lower in 2015 than in 2104.

Nbadraft.net has Grant at 12 RIGHT now. Is it worth risking injury, not improving, etc etc to jump a couple of spots? I don't think it would.