Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse

The staff expresses belief in a lot of stuff that doesn't come to pass, and then they're surprised.

Stuff like Patterson being "better" than Jesse.

Or that we needed to get our "popcorn ready" for recruiting a couple of weeks ago, when nothing came to pass.

Or that we had a legitimate chance at Kadary a few weeks ago.

Or a couple of other questionable humdingers they've proclaimed this offseason that make me doubt the reliability of information coming from the AC's even more.

So while Chance might very well be that good, you'll excuse my skepticism, given [1] that what the coaches believe / state doesn't always come to pass, and [2] he hasn't played in two years. I'd settle for him proving that he can stay healthy and contribute before I'd worry about counting on him to be a star.
Thats fine, I’m not requiring you to believe anything.

Im just trying not to pick and choose my level of faith in information thats passed along thats otherwise been reliable.

Nobody has a crystal ball for the future.

The staff expresses belief in a lot of stuff that doesn't come to pass, and then they're surprised.

Stuff like Patterson being "better" than Jesse.

Or that we needed to get our "popcorn ready" for recruiting a couple of weeks ago, when nothing came to pass.

Or that we had a legitimate chance at Kadary a few weeks ago.

Or a couple of other questionable humdingers they've proclaimed this offseason that make me doubt the reliability of information coming from the AC's even more.

So while Chance might very well be that good, you'll excuse my skepticism, given [1] that what the coaches believe / state doesn't always come to pass, and [2] he hasn't played in two years. I'd settle for him proving that he can stay healthy and contribute before I'd worry about counting on him to be a star.
It seems like most of this pertains to one certain coach who shall remain nameless.

Exactly this. Not Reds fault per say the brand has suffered these last many years, but besides Freeman, who I think isn’t getting enough hype, we haven’t had a guy come in to be “popcorn excited,” about. They have to find a way to grind out wins and make the tourney this year. I’m all for giving Red more time but I fear another lost non-tourney year may make it impossible. I’m using this offseason as a base line. We just aren’t closing on the bigger names and that will get harder and harder.

Big names are fun to get excited about but I’d rather have a complete team.

Thats fine, I’m not requiring you to believe anything.

Im just trying not to pick and choose my level of faith in information thats passed along thats otherwise been reliable.

Nobody has a crystal ball for the future.
Magic 8 Ball GIF by Jim Gaffigan

It may not be a crystal ball, but I find this to be helpful in times of uncertainty.

NoDestination had reported the same info I’d receive to CuseNationNews on instagram about Chance.

Was toe to toe with Judah preseason 2023. (Shouldn’t be a surprise because Chance dominated guards we coveted in HS and right before college).

Staff is confident he’s an NBA talent.

Staff has been absolutely focused on returning him to these levels.

April 12th post available on the instagram account.
100% heard the same thing about Chance. That if he can get/stay healthy he's an NBA level player.

Chance is the big wildcard this season.

I had heard chance wasn’t even able to practice at Syracuse due to the rehab he was undergoing from his first injury. Maybe this comment was only related to official practices and not the offseason open runs they hold?

If chance is the player everyone expects him to be, this roster is immediately much better. The problem is, he has a couple different knee injuries and hasn’t played serious basketball in 2 years. I would be extremely impressed and excited if he was immediately the player everyone says he is. That’s a lot of time off and injuries to overcome to be the player we need him to be this season.

I thought Chance would be our best player last season if he was 100% and I feel that way again this season. But that is a pretty gd big "if" at this point.
He’s like found money at this point. Coach “get your popcorn ready” didn’t seem that optimistic about his recovery, and he seems like the overly optimistic type. I hope Chance recovers quickly and lives up to his potential.

He’s like found money at this point. Coach “get your popcorn ready” didn’t seem that optimistic about his recovery, and he seems like the overly optimistic type. I hope Chance recovers quickly and lives up to his potential.

I’d just say it’s spent money we start getting return on but point well taken

Big names are fun to get excited about but I’d rather have a complete team.

I don't care either way just win. If he wants to coach a team that costs the most money and brings in the most stars I could care less just win. If he wants to coach a bunch of mid-tier grinders for a more complete team then fine I could care less just win. Just don't cry after about how we didn't have star power to compete or that we had to much star power and we played selfish basketball. The coach builds the team how he wants but must own up to the results which could cost him his job if it goes the wrong way.

I don't care either way just win. If he wants to coach a team that costs the most money and brings in the most stars I could care less just win. If he wants to coach a bunch of mid-tier grinders for a more complete team then fine I could care less just win. Just don't cry after about how we didn't have star power to compete or that we had to much star power and we played selfish basketball. The coach builds the team how he wants but must own up to the results which could cost him his job if it goes the wrong way.

This year it’s his team he has built hands down. I agree just win and get results and keep building from there going forward.

I look at this and I see a player similar to Quadir, who was recruited to play the point here before Judah arrived and who i thought would get the job when Judah left, (but he left first :oops:). A little less mustard plus some floaters and a pull-up jumper, (but 0 for 14 from three in 14 games). I think he'll probably emerge as the starter next year with Carlos as his back-up or an alternative if Chance blows his chance.

I look at this and I see a player similar to Quadir, who was recruited to play the point here before Judah arrived and who i thought would get the job when Judah left, (but he left first :oops:). A little less mustard plus some floaters and a pull-up jumper, (but 0 for 14 from three in 14 games). I think he'll probably emerge as the starter next year with Carlos as his back-up or an alternative if Chance blows his chance.

These highlight videos and the ones from high school are why so many of us have been incredibly high on Chance since last fall—if he’s fully recovered from his injuries. Oh, and Bruce Pearl singing his praises after watching him in practices and early in his freshman season at Auburn in 2022.

NoDestination had reported the same info I’d receive to CuseNationNews on instagram about Chance.

Was toe to toe with Judah preseason 2023. (Shouldn’t be a surprise because Chance dominated guards we coveted in HS and right before college).

Staff is confident he’s an NBA talent.

Staff has been absolutely focused on returning him to these levels.

April 12th post available on the instagram account.
Weird, heard the coaches said Quadir was the best guard the past two years.

Toe to toe with Judah? Dude went from a projected lottery pick to not even invited to the combine in a year and a half.

Toe to toe with Judah? Dude went from a projected lottery pick to not even invited to the combine in a year and a half.
Yeah - after Chance got re-injured.

Judah’s abilities weren’t his major problems imo

Whatever flaws Mintz had in his game, he was an elite one on one player. If Westry could stay in front of him when barely recovered from a knee injury (going toe to toe), that's a pretty impressive feat...

Generally speaking, scoring on Mintz isn't quite so impressive, but when he was motivated, he could be a very solid defender. If they were essentially competing to be alpha dog on the team, Mintz would have been very motivated to show he was the man.

I don't think it's a trivial accolade for Westry's talent level to say he was equal to Mintz on the court.

Mintz had his flaws, but failing to pass and poor three point shooting is what's keeping him out of the NBA, not overall talent level.

The guy did some great things on the court.

I'm excited to see how Westry does this fall. He is one of the keys to the season.

Whatever flaws Mintz had in his game, he was an elite one on one player. If Westry could stay in front of him when barely recovered from a knee injury (going toe to toe), that's a pretty impressive feat...

Generally speaking, scoring on Mintz isn't quite so impressive, but when he was motivated, he could be a very solid defender. If they were essentially competing to be alpha dog on the team, Mintz would have been very motivated to show he was the man.

I don't think it's a trivial accolade for Westry's talent level to say he was equal to Mintz on the court.

Mintz had his flaws, but failing to pass and poor three point shooting is what's keeping him out of the NBA, not overall talent level.

The guy did some great things on the court.

I'm excited to see how Westry does this fall. He is one of the keys to the season.
I don't know, for as much as Judah did well he was equally outplayed by many guys last year, including a dude that's redshirting for Gonzaga. His running numbers look fine but he really isn't that great, if he was he'd spark some NBA interest.

I don't know, for as much as Judah did well he was equally outplayed by many guys last year, including a dude that's redshirting for Gonzaga. His running numbers look fine but he really isn't that great, if he was he'd spark some NBA interest.
There have been first team AAs who didn’t spark NBA interest. Wholly different games.

There have been first team AAs who didn’t spark NBA interest. Wholly different games.
How many started as projected lottery picks a year and a half before?

Mintz was a selfish headcase and it showed in games. He’s talented but no Johnny Flynn. Good man players, like Chance, can frustrate and throw him off. Funny how discipline usually trumps the undisciplined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom