Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse

I recognized this a long while ago, but it never had as much significance to me as it does now. My most major regret—that i let other issues (self-esteem, etc.) disrupt attention to discipline. Not that i was 'undisciplined.' When i had a job/was being paid/had a responsibility to others, i was always extremely disciplined. But, toward myself? Doing the right things for myself? Not so much.

I only recently stumbled upon this very basic quote and it's sad that it resonates so loudly:

1c63c8fe2ef1e8d1a9ef4dd41785c59b.jpg

My dad was a Marine during the Korean War. He and my mom spanked me good when I misbehaved. My daughter considers me a bit of a hard ass, but she knows I have a heart, and she knows that pretty much everything she has achieved in life is because of my coaching and encouragement.

My dad was a Marine during the Korean War. He and my mom spanked me good when I misbehaved. My daughter considers me a bit of a hard ass, but she knows I have a heart, and she knows that pretty much everything she has achieved in life is because of my coaching and encouragement.
I've reread your last line here multiple times. Have you ever told your daughter that pretty much everything she has achieved in life was due to you? I'm lucky enough to have a daughter working on her PhD along with a son in law school. My wife and I have given them a good stable home, however what they have achieved to this point belongs far more to them than anyone else. My experience anyway.

I've reread your last line here multiple times. Have you ever told your daughter that pretty much everything she has achieved in life was due to you? I'm lucky enough to have a daughter working on her PhD along with a son in law school. My wife and I have given them a good stable home, however what they have achieved to this point belongs far more to them than anyone else. My experience anyway.
I have had and am living the same experiences. Second child was hooded earlier this month. If I could I would like your post more than once.

Every now and then it's refreshing to find pearls of emotional intelligence mixed in here.

Thanks and well said sweetpea

Of course not. I'm not a jerk.
My daughter was non-verbal until she was 5, and was still pooping herself in school.

I came up with the strategy to tap into her depth of knowledge of facts, which many autistic people possess, and helped her understand how to compare things that she knew to other similar data, to look for patterns.

For example, she liked Bugs Bunny cartoons. Bugs was based off Groucho Marx, so I introduced her to the Marx Brothers, which really helped her language skills, since so much of what they did were quick, snappy puns and double entendres. Typical male characters like Peter Griffin of Family Guy were based on Archie Bunker, who was based on Jackie Gleason.

She liked history, so I helped her explore that, and that is a subject area where comparisons of eras, politics and social movements is there for the picking, and enhances your understanding of movements and social dynamics to the present time.

I supported her interest in video, drawing, art, helped her get her first part-time jobs, helped her get her job at Wegmans where she works now. I take trips with her and act as her camera man and producer to help her shoot travel videos (new one coming out soon from our trip to New Orleans). I helped her learn to cook, learn to drive, get through college (7 years for an associates degree from OCC, which tried to kick her out once because they don't properly support disabled people as they claim).

If she only had her mother - a wonderful woman with a big heart, but someone who is manic depressive and basically quit working 35 years ago - she would not be where she is today, with an actual vision for her future.

It is a part of the recognition of doctoral students during commencement.
So it’s like being knighted. Hooded sounds like a satanic hazing ritual.

Don’t have any doctors in the immediate family.

I recognized this a long while ago, but it never had as much significance to me as it does now. My most major regret—that i let other issues (self-esteem, etc.) disrupt attention to discipline. Not that i was 'undisciplined.' When i had a job/was being paid/had a responsibility to others, i was always extremely disciplined. But, toward myself? Doing the right things for myself? Not so much.

I only recently stumbled upon this very basic quote and it's sad that it resonates so loudly:

1c63c8fe2ef1e8d1a9ef4dd41785c59b.jpg
It is called delayed gratification. Each capitalistic nation has an average P/E ratio, stock market average price per share. Under normal circumstances the ratio is a measure of delayed gratification. All I need to know about a country is it's capacity for delayed gratification, it's P/E ratio. Where life is unpredictable there is little incentive for delayed gratification.

Of course not. I'm not a jerk.
My daughter was non-verbal until she was 5, and was still pooping herself in school.

I came up with the strategy to tap into her depth of knowledge of facts, which many autistic people possess, and helped her understand how to compare things that she knew to other similar data, to look for patterns.

For example, she liked Bugs Bunny cartoons. Bugs was based off Groucho Marx, so I introduced her to the Marx Brothers, which really helped her language skills, since so much of what they did were quick, snappy puns and double entendres. Typical male characters like Peter Griffin of Family Guy were based on Archie Bunker, who was based on Jackie Gleason.

She liked history, so I helped her explore that, and that is a subject area where comparisons of eras, politics and social movements is there for the picking, and enhances your understanding of movements and social dynamics to the present time.

I supported her interest in video, drawing, art, helped her get her first part-time jobs, helped her get her job at Wegmans where she works now. I take trips with her and act as her camera man and producer to help her shoot travel videos (new one coming out soon from our trip to New Orleans). I helped her learn to cook, learn to drive, get through college (7 years for an associates degree from OCC, which tried to kick her out once because they don't properly support disabled people as they claim).

If she only had her mother - a wonderful woman with a big heart, but someone who is manic depressive and basically quit working 35 years ago - she would not be where she is today, with an actual vision for her future.
Great job by you and I'm sorry for the difficult circumstances. Either way, keep battling and way to go helping your daughter get through these challenges!

Please stop personal irrelevant takes diverting from the thread subject and don’t post in a thread about Chance Westry etc. Start your own thread if necessary. This thread is on a basketball forum for Chance Westry only. Thread subjects are there for a reason, not to just post one’s random thoughts that hijacks threads. Thank you for respecting other board posters.

Have there been any reports of how Chance is doing right now? If it's been reported, I missed it. I'm just wondering if he's healthy and whether there are any leaks on how he's practicing/scrimmaging. Past years we often get reports but maybe we're too early for those.

Please stop personal irrelevant takes diverting from the thread subject and don’t post in a thread about Chance Westry etc. Start your own thread if necessary. This thread is on a basketball forum for Chance Westry only. Thread subjects are there for a reason, not to just post one’s random thoughts that hijacks threads. Thank you for respecting other board posters.
I mean, this thread is now 41 pages. Not many other ways to get there for a player we haven’t actually seen playing in a game with a Syracuse uniform on, without said diversions.

I mean, this thread is now 41 pages. Not many other ways to get there for a player we haven’t actually seen playing in a game with a Syracuse uniform on, without said diversions.
So? I don’t think the length of a thread is a goal. Thread subjects aren’t created to encourage diversions to win some kind of length prize. :)

I included this story in the daily articles for basketball today but thought I would also put it here since some people miss some of those links.

I included the text of the article because only the first article from this web site is free.

Sounds like he is very close to 100%.

Former Trinity star, Syracuse guard Chance Westry gives update on injury, Orange outlook (pennlive/.com; $; Sostek)

Chance Westry still hasn’t had a chance to show Syracuse fans what he can bring to the table.

But the one-time Trinity Shamrock star, progressing to full health following a knee injury last year, is ready to show the Orange faithful what he can do.

Catching up with PennLive earlier this month, Westry gave an update on how he was progressing, as he was fit enough to participate in The Road Takeover event in Linglestown, playing in 5-on-5 action against local stars like Malachi Palmer and James Moore.

“I’ve been doing a lot of rehab, trying to strengthen my quad,” Westry said. “Doing a lot of running to get that endurance, get in shape.”

“I’ve been healthy for a couple of months now. I’m basically just working.”

Westry has had knee issues throughout his college career, first at Auburn and then, after transferring to Syracuse last year, with the Orange, dealing with another lower body ailment suffered during an October practice that caused him to miss the entire 2023-2024 season.

In his only college action in 2022-2023, the 6-foot-6 guard averaged 2.5 points per game as a freshman at Auburn, playing in just 11 games.

Sticking with the Orange this year, though, he’s looking forward to getting a chance to showcase his healthy talents to a new fanbase as a redshirt sophomore.

“Every day [I’m ready to show who I am],” Westry said. “I’m staying consistent, believing in my work, staying focused, that’s the key.”

“So the fans, if they want to see the hard work, the progress that I’ve made, they can see that.”

As for the Syracuse team he’s returning to, he’s excited, as it’ll be a new group, like most teams, due to the portal, with players like Colorado’s Eddie Lampkin, Delaware’s Jyare Davis and Hofstra’s Jaquan Carlos coming in and Justin Taylor, Qadir Copeland, Peter Carey, Maliq Brown and Benny Williams heading out.

“I’m excited,” Westry said. “I’m excited for the year we’re gonna have. We’ve got a new group, we’ve all been in contact with each other, basically just standing together.”

“That’s what makes it fun.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom