Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse

Chance Westry played in 11 games last year which exceeds the number of games a player can appear in and qualify for a redshirt season.

Westry made 31.6% of his field goal attempts and 42.9% of his free throws and went 0-14 on 3-point shots. SU fans should not set their expectations too high about Chance until they see him play for the Cuse.

Chance Westry played in 11 games last year which exceeds the number of games a player can appear in and qualify for a redshirt season.

Westry made 31.6% of his field goal attempts and 42.9% of his free throws and went 0-14 on 3-point shots. SU fans should not set their expectations too high about Chance until they see him play for the Cuse.
Tough to fully gauge because he was injured for most of the season. Regardless, I do hope he has improved his shooting, at least by the time he starts playing again next year.

I don't remember if I saw any of Auburn's early games last year, but if I did he made no impression on me. It is always advisable to limit expectations until you have seen a player before. I've seen a number of redshirted freshmen go on to become 1st team All- Americans.

On the other hand, I watched many of McLeod's games at FSU the last two seasons and knew that he had very limited game skills before he transferred here.

Wasn't Chance able to use his redshirt year last year?
The redshirt situation was unfortunate. Rules state you can’t play more than 30% of games, and he played like 31% or close to it, having played 1 min in each of the last 3 games but they count as full games. So I hope he medical redshirts this year (cant play at the end of the season at all and redshirt so one game would blow it for him at this point).

he is a blank slate that people are projecting their hopes.

Last edited:
he is a blank slate that people are projecting their hopes.
Westry was a very highly recruited player out of high school. He was getting glowing reviews from his coach at Auburn. His high school highlight films show a very athletic, fierce competitor that enjoyed getting in his opponents face and was very good at slapping the ball out of their hands. He's got small forward size, with point guard skills. He's a better shooter than his injury hampered true freshman season indicated.

If we get the guy that we recruited so hard before losing him to Auburn, we have a potential star.

On the other hand, he hasn't played in two years and has what could be a chronic injury.

Westry is the kind of wild card player you'd be very happy to draft in the late rounds of your fantasy draft. He has huge upside for next year, but you can't count on him to even play, much less carry your team.

I don't remember if I saw any of Auburn's early games last year, but if I did he made no impression on me. It is always advisable to limit expectations until you have seen a player before. I've seen a number of redshirted freshmen go on to become 1st team All- Americans.

On the other hand, I watched many of McLeod's games at FSU the last two seasons and knew that he had very limited game skills before he transferred here.

Tempering expectations for unproven players is a good approach.

However, it is important to note that leading into last season @ Auburn, the team went on an international tour and Chance was one of the most impressive players. His coach raved about his play, his potential, etc. as he was one of their most impactful performers -- and he appeared poised to be in a position to garner extensive playing time.

Then, he sustained a "lower body injury" prior to the start of practice. He toughed it out for a bit, but was eventually shut down when he couldn't physically perform.

If you saw him, he was impaired.

Now, that doesn't mean that he'll bounce back physically. By all accounts, this year's "lower body injury" was on the opposite leg of the one he injured at Auburn. So that's disconcerting. And who knows -- maybe he'll be injury prone from here on out and never reliable.

Time will tell.

But I wouldn't put much stock in how he played after October 2022, due to him being injured / substantially impaired.

However, it is important to note that leading into last season @ Auburn, the team went on an international tour and Chance was one of the most impressive players. His coach raved about his play, his potential, etc. as he was one of their most impactful performers -- and he appeared poised to be in a position to garner extensive playing time.

Then, he sustained a "lower body injury" prior to the start of practice. He toughed it out for a bit, but was eventually shut down when he couldn't physically perform.

Now, that doesn't mean that he'll bounce back physically. By all accounts, this year's "lower body injury" was on the opposite leg of the one he injured at Auburn. So that's disconcerting. And who knows -- maybe he'll be injury prone from here on out and never reliable.

Time will tell.

But I wouldn't put much stock in how he played after October 2022, due to him being injured / substantially impaired.
Or he’s hurt each of his legs and both of them will be bulletproof next year thanks to the benefits of modern medicine and his dedication to his rehab.

You’re welcome.

Or he’s hurt each of his legs and both of them will be bulletproof next year thanks to the benefits of modern medicine and his dedication to his rehab.

You’re welcome.
This is what I hope for the kid. Hopeful, his recovery is more "Joel Embiid-like" and he fulfills his potential versus the unfortunate paths of our own Sidibe and, from the looks of it, Hima where the injuries never fully heal. Trust the process!

Time will tell.

This is right. Tons of talent, but we don't know how healthy he is going to be moving forward, especially understanding that most of his talent comes in the form of being a great athlete.

The good news is he appears to be practicing with the team again so Red should have a pretty good idea on if he can rely on Westry moving forward or not, and he can recruit accordingly.

If he wants into the nba then he needs to be chucking 500 to 700 shots a day. Same for Brown cause i really feel he is an NBA dude when he makes or takes more shots and adds weight and strength.

Westry was a very highly recruited player out of high school. He was getting glowing reviews from his coach at Auburn. His high school highlight films show a very athletic, fierce competitor that enjoyed getting in his opponents face and was very good at slapping the ball out of their hands. He's got small forward size, with point guard skills. He's a better shooter than his injury hampered true freshman season indicated.

If we get the guy that we recruited so hard before losing him to Auburn, we have a potential star.

On the other hand, he hasn't played in two years and has what could be a chronic injury.

Westry is the kind of wild card player you'd be very happy to draft in the late rounds of your fantasy draft. He has huge upside for next year, but you can't count on him to even play, much less carry your team.
Fantasy draft? He’s an injury prone dude that hasn’t played in two years and when he did play at this level he stunk and that’s the polite way of saying it.

I want him to succeed and expect him to in a limited basis but you’d think he was Lebron around here the way people talk.

Fantasy draft? He’s an injury prone dude that hasn’t played in two years and when he did play at this level he stunk and that’s the polite way of saying it.

I want him to succeed and expect him to in a limited basis but you’d think he was Lebron around here the way people talk.
Did you read only my throw away comment?

If he's the kids we hoped to get before he got hurt at Auburn, he's potentially a terrific player.

If he's still hurt, lost his athleticism, or doesn't develop, then he's not.

The fantasy draft comment is that he's high risk, high reward. Exactly the kind of late round pick that you make in the limited likelihood that he gets healthy and reaches his potential. If he does, he's a 6'6" defensive ace with the offensive skills of a point guard. If he also learns to shoot at a high rate...

Assuming he is practicing and near full speed, can he play X games or <30% of games and not blow his redshirt? Would be good to get another defender in game if we need to press, etc…

Assuming he is practicing and near full speed, can he play X games or <30% of games and not blow his redshirt? Would be good to get another defender in game if we need to press, etc…
Assuming he was, yes he could do for 25% (i think, not 30% that is football maybe?). We do know westry isnt playing at all this year though

I don’t think he can play in any games after the mid point of the season.
is that a rule? you cant debut after the midpoint?
Did you read only my throw away comment?

If he's the kids we hoped to get before he got hurt at Auburn, he's potentially a terrific player.

If he's still hurt, lost his athleticism, or doesn't develop, then he's not.

The fantasy draft comment is that he's high risk, high reward. Exactly the kind of late round pick that you make in the limited likelihood that he gets healthy and reaches his potential. If he does, he's a 6'6" defensive ace with the offensive skills of a point guard. If he also learns to shoot at a high rate...
people who judge a player who didnt perform whilst with a serious injury are clueless...

why would anyone use what chance did at auburn as their basis for what he could be in ncabb when he was never healthy there???? however he performed at auburn is 100% irrelevant

people who judge a player who didnt perform whilst with a serious injury are clueless...

why would anyone use what chance did at auburn as their basis for what he could be in ncabb when he was never healthy there???? however he performed at auburn is 100% irrelevant
You can debut whenever but you just use your eligibility for the year if you start playing after the midway point. Theres no point of Chance wasting a year of eligibility for playing 5-7 games

NCAA Rule 12.8.4

12.8.4 Hardship Waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of "hardship." Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions:

(a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institutions or occurs after the first day of classes in the student-athlete's senior year in high school;

(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the first contest or date of competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

(c) The injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition or 30 percent of the maximum number of contests or dates of competition of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship as set forth in Bylaw 17 for the applicable sport plus one contest or date of competition, whichever is greater.

If Westry plays this season, it will count as his Soph year.

If he sits out, he takes 2023-24 as a redshirt year and he comes back as a R-So. next season.

You can debut whenever but you just use your eligibility for the year if you start playing after the midway point. Theres no point of Chance wasting a year of eligibility for playing 5-7 games
hes already 21...whats the point of saving more years?

imo if hes healthy now he should play - the team needs him and he is taking up a scholly

NCAA Rule 12.8.4

12.8.4 Hardship Waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of "hardship." Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions:

(a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institutions or occurs after the first day of classes in the student-athlete's senior year in high school;

(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the first contest or date of competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

(c) The injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition or 30 percent of the maximum number of contests or dates of competition of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship as set forth in Bylaw 17 for the applicable sport plus one contest or date of competition, whichever is greater.

If Westry plays this season, it will count as his Soph year.

If he sits out, he takes 2023-24 as a redshirt year and he comes back as a R-So. next season.
ok great...he'll be a 22 year old sophomore next year then

what is he going to stay in college until he's 26?

if he's healthy he should be playing now, imo

big IF, though, obviously

i really hope he isnt healthy and they are just saving him for next year - that would make no sense

this team really needs him, imo

hes already 21...whats the point of saving more years?

imo if hes healthy now he should play - the team needs him and he is taking up a scholly
How's that to the benefit of Westry? If he's great he will go pro. If he's a 4A player he's going to want to maximize his amount of time in college to get the most NIL possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom