Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse

It would be awesome if a local journalist could get a report on how he is doing practicing against the rest of the team.
Tom, I agree; we used to have more enhanced local sports reporting than we now have. It seems like most have gone to the blog format and not on-campus investigative reporting .

Three years of NIL can go a long way if the NBA turns out not to be an option.
Agree. But do wonder if the NIL deal goes down a bit after being out for the past two years, money that could be repurposed for recruitment purposes.

It would be nice to have a couple of 25 year olds on our team. UNC has 3.
i mean, yeah, its still weird...yea its an advantage...but it cant be the blueprint...a lot of these older players still active are due to the covid-era, no?
Honestly If he play well I doubt he hangs around 3 yrs. If he doesn't, then does it really matter?
exactly - why would SU really want a player to stay until 25 if he couldnt leave earlier?
Three years of NIL can go a long way if the NBA turns out not to be an option.
again, how much NIL is a non-NBA level player going to garner? idk...I just think that line of thinking doesnt make sense and lacks ambition, generally, and shouldnt be the mindest of the players, the program or the fanbase.

i mean, yeah, its still weird...yea its an advantage...but it cant be the blueprint...a lot of these older players still active are due to the covid-era, no?

exactly - why would SU really want a player to stay until 25 if he couldnt leave earlier?

again, how much NIL is a non-NBA level player going to garner? idk...I just think that line of thinking doesnt make sense and lacks ambition, generally, and shouldnt be the mindest of the players, the program or the fanbase.
Most aren’t making the NBA but a lot of them will still play pro ball, so why not take the NIL money?
Why go to Germany for 100k when you can get 2 or 3 times that amount playing college ball? I would bet most guys that are playing overseas would love to still be playing big time college ball for some nice paychecks.

Most aren’t making the NBA but a lot of them will still play pro ball, so why not take the NIL money?
Why go to Germany for 100k when you can get 2 or 3 times that amount playing college ball? I would bet most guys that are playing overseas would love to still be playing big time college ball for some nice paychecks.
ok yeah it is possible

but from an SU perspective - why would that be desirable?

this isn't only about what players want...or what kind of angles they can work.

why does a program or we as fans have to embody that player motivation to milk NIL until 25?

id rather recruit a 5star talent instead. ], for example.

a lot of people seem to think that just because a player can do something we should all be happy with whatever they want to do.

Last edited:

Would you tell Bacot to hit the bricks, then?

We're talking about great college players that for whatever reason aren't good NBA prospects.

These are guys that might get a shot at the NBA, but can probably make more money with NIL at a big time program than being a two-way contract type player in the NBA.

Mintz might be our version right now.

Westry might be our next one, depending on how well his athleticism comes back, and how his 3pt shot develops.

Why would we take the chance to make big money away from him to play a few meaningless games at the end of the year?

Would you tell Bacot to hit the bricks, then?

We're talking about great college players that for whatever reason aren't good NBA prospects.

These are guys that might get a shot at the NBA, but can probably make more money with NIL at a big time program than being a two-way contract type player in the NBA.

Mintz might be our version right now.

Westry might be our next one, depending on how well his athleticism comes back, and how his 3pt shot develops.

Why would we take the chance to make big money away from him to play a few meaningless games at the end of the year?
your last question shows me how differently we think

try telling the players these last few gamesa are meaningless...

these were just about the most meaningful games in the last 5 years.

it's not about telling anyone to hit the bricks...its simply doing what is best for the program...over just hosting an open gym where players can just cash in as much as possible.

there might be a new class of players created - the extended stay 2 way guys...but its really not that different...players still only have 4 years eligibility to use. and there wnt be too many of them out there...

personally i dislike the guys like cormac ryan playing in ncaaa when hes 25...i think it shouldnt really begoing on.

if a player like westry truly wants to spend 6 years in college...and is actually good enough to really move the needle...then i'm not going to protest...i just find the odds of that needle being thread as pretty slim.

ok yeah it is possible

but from an SU perspective - why would that be desirable?

this isn't only about what players want...or what kind of angles they can work.

why does a program or we as fans have to embody that player motivation to milk NIL until 25?

id rather recruit a 5star talent instead. ], for example.

a lot of people seem to think that just because a player can do something we should all be happy with whatever they want to do.
If you recruit a 5 star, then, yeah push him out. We haven't done that yet, so why do it before you do? There are a lot of players that are great in college but not the NBA. These guys with fatal pro flaws but great college games seem to help lots of other teams. Maybe he could be that guy for us. Who knows? Regardless, playing him now doesn't do anything for us unless he can rebound and block shots while giving Malik a break.

This is such a case of what ifs if he played this year. Feel for the kid. He knows he could have had big impact too

3-4 more wins and likely much closer losses was my thinking just because he brought two skill sets that were big holes this year.

It’s such an unknown but if he can truly be and stay healthy, the difference this kid can make on the ball harassing opponents is going to be a joy to watch. Night and day vs how Judah defends( which when he commits and doesn’t gamble is solid). Not to mention a high ball screen on such a physical 6-6 guard is a much harder task.

Last edited:
If you recruit a 5 star, then, yeah push him out. We haven't done that yet, so why do it before you do? There are a lot of players that are great in college but not the NBA. These guys with fatal pro flaws but great college games seem to help lots of other teams. Maybe he could be that guy for us. Who knows? Regardless, playing him now doesn't do anything for us unless he can rebound and block shots while giving Malik a break.
it would help a lot now if he was healthy - if we didnt have to play 4 on 5 on offense with taylor
or 4 on 5 on defense with bell, for example...

my point is simple and I get why a lot of people disagree...but I would say if he is healthy now he should play. point blank. regardless of eligibility. this is his 2nd full season on the shelf, enough already. just my 2 cents.

how many injury seasons is a player entitled to? what if he gets another injury next season? should he just be able to preserve his 4 years then as well? at what point is enough enough?

i dont see it only as the school's obligation to the player but a reciprocal situation.

besides, there are multiple 5 star type talents on the team now or were - starling, benny, judah etc ...and freeman next year...if red has shown anything, its that he can get the top players to come to SU. so the idea that red wouldnt be able to get a 5star doesnt ring true to me.

Last edited:
it would help a lot now if he was healthy - if we didnt have to play 4 on 5 on offense with taylor
or 4 on 5 on defense with bell, for example...

my point is simple and I get why a lot of people disagree...but I would say if he is healthy now he should play. point blank. regardless of eligibility. this is his 2nd full season on the shelf, enough already. just my 2 cents.

how many injury seasons is a player entitled to? what if he gets another injury next season? should he just be able to preserve his 4 years then as well? at what point is enough enough?

i dont see it only as the school's obligation to the player but a reciprocal situation.

besides, there are multiple 5 star type talents on the team now or were - starling, benny, judah etc ...and freeman next year...if red has shown anything, its that he can get the top players to come to SU. so the idea that red wouldnt be able to get a 5star doesnt ring true to me.
Never said Red couldn't get a 5 star. I just said you don't burn eligibility unless you've got one of those already bagged. We differ in our opinion about how much he would help. Unless he's a superstar, I don't think you bring a guy in to play significant minutes that hasn't played all year. He would have no chemistry on either end of the floor. And if it doesn't make sense for him to play significant minutes, it's dumb to burn his redshirt for a few spot minutes unless the guy is begging to play now which I doubt is the case.

Never said Red couldn't get a 5 star. I just said you don't burn eligibility unless you've got one of those already bagged. We differ in our opinion about how much he would help. Unless he's a superstar, I don't think you bring a guy in to play significant minutes that hasn't played all year. He would have no chemistry on either end of the floor. And if it doesn't make sense for him to play significant minutes, it's dumb to burn his redshirt for a few spot minutes unless the guy is begging to play now which I doubt is the case.
yeah its all based on how he would play...i tend to beleive the reports that he was the best player on the team in early season practices...so my expectations would be high

but yeah obv if he doesnt wanna risk then its a no-go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom