Change to bowl system | Syracusefan.com

Change to bowl system

Alsacs

Living Legend
Since bowls are run during the time schools aren’t in session.
What about changing the time bowls are conducted move them to the summer. Fans travel more in the summer than they do in winter.
Plus, people would be home for holidays.
Instead of bowls being a reward what about moving the bowls to the start of the next season.
Have the bowls in August.
Players wouldn’t skip them. It would reward teams for their previous seasons.
They would actually help play a factor for the current season. The excuse team X is more motivated than team Y would go away.

Teams that go 6-6 would be eligible for the extra game.
Bowls would just be neutral site games that would be played before Labor Day,
Thus bowl teams would play 13 games in the regular season and non-bowl teams would play 12 games.

After the season ends. 8 team playoff.
No worries about the bowl.

Selection stuff could be worked out.

What about changing the time bowls are conducted move them to the summer. Fans travel more in the summer than they do in winter.
Instead of bowls being a reward what about moving the bowls to the start of the next season.
They would actually help play a factor for the current season. The excuse team X is more motivated than team Y would go away.

Thus bowl teams would play 13 games in the regular season and non-bowl teams would play 12 games.

What a reward for Eric Dungey and all the seniors - get Syracuse to it's first bowl in 5 years

and then can't play in it

It’s not any better or worse. It would be viewed as an additional land mine for teams contending for the playoff.

Just eliminate the conference championships and go to 8.

What a reward for Eric Dungey and all the seniors - get Syracuse to it's first bowl in 5 years

and then can't play in it
Nothing is perfect but the guy would have gotten love in his home finale.

How would you account for most teams looking pretty different than the year before with graduation and guys being draft eligible? You'd just be setting some schools up to go through a buzzsaw if all their impact players from the year before are gone.

The point is 80 of 130 FBS teams are eligible for bowls.
So if the bowl game was to start the year the game would impact the current season and seasons would end when the regular season ended.
The postseason would be for all teams eligible for a national championship.

The reward for the bowl would be for the team the following year but it really wouldn’t impact most teams.

The point is 80 of 130 FBS teams are eligible for bowls.
So if the bowl game was to start the year the game would impact the current season and seasons would end when the regular season ended.
The postseason would be for all teams eligible for a national championship.

The reward for the bowl would be for the team the following year but it really wouldn’t impact most teams.
The problem is many teams would view the August bowls as an early season elimination game.

The problem is many teams would view the August bowls as an early season elimination game.
How many teams are NC contenders that would think this?
The bowl game at the start allows for an expanded playoff at the end.
The losers who leach off the bowls get their money and it would allow for 8/16 team playoffs.

If you are going to move them, then make the Bowls replace the Spring games. Teams in Bowls get longer Springs and since it is still the same academic year, the SRs are still on campus to play. The bowls won’t count toward the prior or upcoming year.

So Spring practice you mainly give reps to your Non SRs. The two weeks before the bowl you sprinkle them back in.

That being said that I would stick with the current setup. It is tradition.

I think your plan is not a good one.

A big draw for most bowls is the lure of better weather than the fans are experiencing at home. In August, the weather will be worse in most cases. A lot worse in many.

You need at least a couple of weeks of preseason practice to figure out the two deep, get the rust out, get ready to play. Do you want the players who have to deal with football all of the fall semester and all of the spring semester to also have to deal with it through half of July? Or do you propose to play these exhibitions just before the season and have preseason camp start just a week or two earlier?

Bowl games are already getting marginalized and looking more and more like money grab exhibition games. This would just make things far worse. Do this and all the bowls would be dead in a couple of years.

You can't set up match ups based on results from one year and then play bowl games the next year. It takes the meaning out of the games. Some teams now are missing a key player or two, so let's change the setup so every team is going to be missing 15 or 20 players, maybe more, most of them really important.

I don't think so.

But I applaud you for thinking out of the box.

- Eliminate FCS games for FBS
- Allow FBS teams to replace a spring game with an FCS game. Doesn't count towards redshirt. Make it a true exhibition. FCS schools still get paid. Games vs FCS would generate better gate and TV attention. (Late August is more fun)

- Get rid of dumb rule about divisions and championship games
- Allow for pod scheduling
- Allow conferences to figure out the rules for who is playing in the conference championship game. Winner get's auto-bid into...

- The Playoffs expand to 8 teams. (All P5 conferences get an auto-bid to conference championship, leaving 3 at-large spots TBD by committee. Special consideration/protection for G5)

- Bowl games continue as is - if they are financially viable
- EDIT: I'd also get rid of bowl tie-ins for conferences. New committee selects best matchups based on creating the most interesting games

(I am open to creating a 6th "P5" that is a 12-14 team league that operates like soccer relegation. The bottom 2-3 teams get relegated, the top 2-3 from the remaining FCS leagues get bumped up. That conference champ gets an auto-bid too. Independents must join a conference)

If the playoffs are expanded to 8 and each P5 champ is guaranteed a spot then winning your division or being picked as one the 2 best teams in your conference is akin to making a 16-team playoff. The conference title game becomes round 1 of this format. This doesn't pick the best 16 teams but it provides access for teams like Syracuse that would otherwise never have a shot.

I liked this bowl season and enjoy it during the holiday time. Of course I bet on all of them which helps 100% of my rooting interest (Go Orgeron!).

I think with the amount of money involved now, things will get distorted in ways we don't like, as consumers. However, with tweaks, things will be as enjoyable as they were.

What sutomcat said about the summer weather in Florida, plus folks don't have as much of a problem in filling hotel rooms or restaurant seats in the summer as they do in the winter. The falloff in $$$$$ drives who's looking to host a bowl.

It’s not any better or worse. It would be viewed as an additional land mine for teams contending for the playoff.

Unless someone can come up with the cash to replace the lost revenue, conference championship games are not going away. And before someone says, "But look at all those empty seats," I'll say, "Don't forget to add in the TV money."

And

Both the Atlantic and Coastal Division winners are undefeated in the conference (8-0), but don't play each other. Or, under the 3-5-5 schedule, two teams finish 8-0, but don't play each other. Who's the ACC Champion? And saying, "They both are," is a non-starter.

- EDIT: I'd also get rid of bowl tie-ins for conferences. New committee selects best matchups based on creating the most interesting games

I remember when bowls fought over teams...your proposal is idealistic, but I don’t see any way it wouldn’t just devolve into the clown show bowl selection was in the 80s. Way too many stakeholders with competing interests for this to ever be a smooth process.

Alsacs your idea is original, and I used to enjoy Jeff Jarrett smashing his guitar over fools circa 1998.

I fully understand that this is a board for fans and that fans are putting forward ideas that they'd like to see. There's one huge thing standing in the way of just about all of them. You're thinking like fans expressing what you'd like to see instead of like athletic directors who have to maximize revenue to pay for the athletic program. Just about every suggestion put forward here will reduce income for the schools and conferences, like eliminating bowl tie-ins, and that makes them a non-starter. I'd like to have someone hand me the keys to a Lamborghini this afternoon (with all the taxes fully paid!), but I don't bother to think or talk about it because I know that's just not happenin'.

- Bowl games continue as is - if they are financially viable

(I am open to creating a 6th "P5" that is a 12-14 team league that operates like soccer relegation. The bottom 2-3 teams get relegated, the top 2-3 from the remaining FCS leagues get bumped up. That conference champ gets an auto-bid too. Independents must join a conference)[/QUOTE]

I love these two thoughts sutomcat

Eliminate the tie ins and create some fun match ups, I would love to see our Orange play in the Rose Bowl for example, not to mention how many times can we play WVU in bowl games?

I also love the fact of the Soccer theory where the top xx are in, if your not in that you drop out

I hire you for Bowl Manager, get this done soon please!!

I think they need to reduce the layoff time to make sure teams aren't completely out of condition and rhythm by the time their bowl game shows up a month after the season ends. A lot of the teams looked sloppy and out of sync. I think the bowl games should start the week after conf. championships.

Better idea...

Kill the Big XII and make a conference champ-only requirement. That will make CCGs the defacto first round in an 8 team playoff, and it will make division races insane.

Failing that, create 8 conferences of 8, and do basically the same thing.

-
(I am open to creating a 6th "P5" that is a 12-14 team league that operates like soccer relegation. The bottom 2-3 teams get relegated, the top 2-3 from the remaining FCS leagues get bumped up. That conference champ gets an auto-bid too. Independents must join a conference)

Great idea for fans. A nightmare for schools trying to plan a schedule years in advance, not to mention the economic considerations (would these schools be required to have D-1 caliber facilities?). Imagine recruiting and being part of the recruiting class that led to relegation?

System has no place in a sport that does not pay players.

Keep the bowls basically the same.

My tweak: How about any FBS team can schedule a FCS team during week 0 for an exhibition in late August? FBS/FCS teams can apply to not participate if it creates a financial or logistical strain. A set portion of a teams proceeds is donated to a foundation to help NCAA athletes after leaving school. Schools that participate can open camp 3-4 days earlier and get "x" amount of extra practices.

The NCAA can use these games to try out new rules and equipment for evaluation. Targeting rules should be in effect to protect players. I think four 12 minute quarters would also be good. TV would be allowed as this would help for for the bills but halftime would be cut back to further shorten the game. Schools should set sensible pricing (maybe 60--75% of a normal ticket price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom