Charlie Strong Fired ?? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Charlie Strong Fired ??

no way Dino is going to Texas. They aren't firing Strong to bring in a lightweight candidate. It'll be an NFL guy or a big time coach ready to move. Baylor hiring Morris alleviates Babers going there. Huge for Syracuse.

My biggest doomsday is if Saban leaves for the NFL (heard it's not out of the realm) and the huge domino game starts w that one. Babers may look to whatever school is at the bottom of that chain. U could see Clemson open up with Dabo heading home.

Has Baylor formally hired Morris? I thought Bruce Feldman squashed that rumor.

The doomsday scenario is also an opportunity for us. If Saban goes undefeated and decides he's done all he can do... Dabo to Bama, Jimbo goes to LSU. Maybe, just maybe, there will be a brief come back to earth period for Clemson and FSU.

Mack Brown. What?
Yeah, Mack Brown redux. Apparently Fedora was an assistant at some of the Texas schools before he became the HC at Southern Miss. Our board guru with strong ties to UT and the region says that Tom Herman, the U of Houston coach, and Fedora were at the top of the pre-season list to replace Strong at UT or Kevin Sumlin at ATM if it became necessary.

The doomsday scenario is also an opportunity for us. If Saban goes undefeated and decides he's done all he can do... Dabo to Bama, Jimbo goes to LSU. Maybe, just maybe, there will be a brief come back to earth period for Clemson and FSU.

I wonder who Clemson would go hire in that scenario? Imagine Dino Babers with all those toys down there...

I think it'll work out for us b/c Dino isn't going anywhere hopefully but certainly things are gonna move around once again.

I wonder if Charlie Strong would be considered for the FSU job if Jimbo Fisher was to leave for the LSU gig? I'd have to think he'd be a candidate even with his lack of success at UT because of his Florida recruiting ties/roots.

I wonder if Charlie Strong would be considered for the FSU job if Jimbo Fisher was to leave for the LSU gig? I'd have to think he'd be a candidate even with his lack of success at UT because of his Florida recruiting ties/roots.
If someone else is picked, I imagine the new coach would probably look at him as a potential DC candidate for the recruiting and the good job he had done with the Louavul and Florida D's.

If someone else is picked, I imagine the new coach would probably look at him as a potential DC candidate for the recruiting and the good job he had done with the Louavul and Florida D's.

Definitely a DC - I think he's a no brainer at that. Him at DC, not having to focus on HC duties and back on the recruiting trail more - that is going to be deadly for anyone going up against him from the ACC. I have to think he ends in the ACC somewhere if Texas does indeed fire him.

Definitely a DC - I think he's a no brainer at that. Him at DC, not having to focus on HC duties and back on the recruiting trail more - that is going to be deadly for anyone going up against him from the ACC. I have to think he ends in the ACC somewhere if Texas does indeed fire him.
Watch out for his going to the Tar Holes :( if Fedora goes west. Gene Chizik is their DC now and would get all kinds of offers if Fedora leaves.

I'd be shocked if Charlie Strong took a step down to be a DC, unless of course he made HC type of money.

We have such a collective inferiority complex.

Did it ever occur to anybody that Dino Babers and his family actually like CNY?

Did it ever occur to anybody that he likes the ACC, the Carrier Dome, the players he has on the Hill and his contract with the University?

Would anybody want to be Todd Graham or Bobby Petrino? I have to believe that Dino Babers has no interested in being lumped in with those two.

We have such a collective inferiority complex.

Did it ever occur to anybody that Dino Babers and his family actually like CNY?

Did it ever occur to anybody that he likes the ACC, the Carrier Dome, the players he has on the Hill and his contract with the University?

Would anybody want to be Todd Graham or Bobby Petrino? I have to believe that Dino Babers has no interested in being lumped in with those two.

I'm not sure if you're quoting my posts to disagree with me or not, but all I said was two things that I thought would make the state of Texas appealing to him are lower taxes (if you make that much, it's hard for me to believe you don't think about it), and having a daughter or daughters down there.

But in reality, I don't think he'd want anything to do with that Baylor mess. They have 2, count them 2, recruits lined up right now. It's going to be a lost year. And who knows if that reputation can be built back up for next year's recruiting class.

They're going to have to throw a LOT of money at someone, because success is going to be hard to come by.

Having said that, I hope the 2nd part of my paragraph comes thru and that Clemson and FSU are replacing coaches who moved on. Something has to make them easier to beat.

I'm not sure if you're quoting my posts to disagree with me or not, but all I said was two things that I thought would make the state of Texas appealing to him are lower taxes (if you make that much, it's hard for me to believe you don't think about it), and having a daughter or daughters down there.

But in reality, I don't think he'd want anything to do with that Baylor mess. They have 2, count them 2, recruits lined up right now. It's going to be a lost year. And who knows if that reputation can be built back up for next year's recruiting class.

They're going to have to throw a LOT of money at someone, because success is going to be hard to come by.

Having said that, I hope the 2nd part of my paragraph comes thru and that Clemson and FSU are replacing coaches who moved on. Something has to make them easier to beat.

No.

I was not responding to you directly. (And I agree with your observation that Dino would not want anything to do with Baylor at this point)

I was responding to the apparent consensus that Babers is looking to leave and would naturally want to leave CNY.

I just don't accept the premise - that a HC at Syracuse University is necessarily looking for the next job.

Marrone left because he didn't like college football/college recruiting.

Coach Mac left twenty six years ago for the money. And I am pretty sure I have heard that he regretted the decision.

It seems that most HCs at Syracuse - including of course Jim Boeheim - like it here and stay here.

I have no reason to believe that Dino feels any differently at this point.

As far as Clemson and FSU are concerned just look at Texas and ND - all programs have their moments.

We will compete again soon.

No.

I was not responding to you directly. (And I agree with your observation that Dino would not want anything to do with Baylor at this point)

I was responding to the apparent consensus that Babers is looking to leave and would naturally want to leave CNY.

I just don't accept the premise - that a HC at Syracuse University is necessarily looking for the next job.

Coach Mac left twenty six years ago for the money. And I am pretty sure I have heard that he regretted the decision.

It seems that most HCs at Syracuse - including of course Jim Boeheim - like it here and stay here.

As far as Clemson and FSU are concerned just look at Texas and ND - all programs have their moments.

OrangePA, you have alot of logical posts and I respect them but with HCs you need to throw conventional wisdom out the window and let in ego, money and advancement.

My entire thesis was based on Chakka saying that Dino is unhappy with unkept promises from Coyle. That's where my concern started and why I speculated the whys vs the why nots of staying in CNY. I think it's a great job for those who know if they get the program to the 8 win plateau, odds are they aren't going to get fired.

Similar to BC with Tom O'Brien, that program got to the 8 win plateau but was captained by a guy who wanted the next great gig vs enjoying the fruits of his labor.

NONE of us know where Dino fits in this spectrum. I'm hoping he's more Boeheim than Tom O'Brien but we'll never know until we know.

OrangePA, you have alot of logical posts and I respect them but with HCs you need to throw conventional wisdom out the window and let in ego, money and advancement.

My entire thesis was based on Chakka saying that Dino is unhappy with unkept promises from Coyle. That's where my concern started and why I speculated the whys vs the why nots of staying in CNY. I think it's a great job for those who know if they get the program to the 8 win plateau, odds are they aren't going to get fired.

Similar to BC with Tom O'Brien, that program got to the 8 win plateau but was captained by a guy who wanted the next great gig vs enjoying the fruits of his labor.

NONE of us know where Dino fits in this spectrum. I'm hoping he's more Boeheim than Tom O'Brien but we'll never know until we know.

I agree that coaches do things that many of us simply do not understand - they breach contracts, they don't tell the truth and they go for the money all too often.

I get the sense, based on what I have heard about Dino, that he is not one to make a money grab. I have been told that he turned down a larger contract that was offered to him after he verbally agreed to accept the Syracuse University position, in part, because he had made a commitment to the University.

So, my sense is that he is a stand-up guy - that he is not Todd Graham.

But, I agree, if promises were made and have not been kept, then the University has to be a stand-up institution and keep its commitments. I can't argue with that.

So, I hope the University does what it is supposed to do.

Last edited:
ma
No.

another reason marrone left was unkept promises re facilities upgrade. they stiffed him on ipf

No.

I was thinking about the insecurity thing of our fanbase. It certainly doesn't help to have the local columnist, just 7 or 8 games into the first season writing about him moving onto better things.

It also doesn't help to have an alum with the exposure of Thamel writing our coach's name as a candidate for a job likely to open. Especially when his most recent follow up this week didn't have him in the 9 possible candidates he listed for said job. So where did he come up with it in the first place?

With friends like these... They certainly don't do us any favors.

I was thinking about the insecurity thing of our fanbase. It certainly doesn't help to have the local columnist, just 7 or 8 games into the first season writing about him moving onto better things.

It also doesn't help to have an alum with the exposure of Thamel writing our coach's name as a candidate for a job likely to open. Especially when his most recent follow up this week didn't have him in the 9 possible candidates he listed for said job. So where did he come up with it in the first place?

With friends like these... They certainly don't do us any favors.

you know where he came up with it? Out of his a$$. Okay, probably too harsh, but like most rumors, it starts with obvious connections. Babers had a history with both Baylor and Briles, so he must be a legitimate candidate, regardless of current evidence, right? right?

you know where he came up with it? Out of his a$$. Okay, probably too harsh, but like most rumors, it starts with obvious connections. Babers had a history with both Baylor and Briles, so he must be a legitimate candidate, regardless of current evidence, right? right?

I'd expect that stuff out of Bud. Not out of Thamel. Well, not out of SI anyway.

His daughter is a senior.

This is really great news...Baylor was the only college that had me worried as it was the only college rumored to be interested.

For those of us not privy to the 3 still unfulfilled commitments you've previously mentioned, would you be willing to post an acknowledgement if/when the university follows through on each promise?

Thanks.

Everyone gets too worked up about rumors and a message board speculating on such. I hope he stays but I come here for Chakka stories and then I add my opinion. Pete Thamel if I had to guess heard Dino's name from a source (hint hint prob Dino's agent) And ran w it. Once the door closed he pulled it bc it looks foolish to b out there as a candidate of jobs u don't want or can't get

It's the business side folks. Sabans minions do it yearly too.

I stand by my original post: I'm thankful for coach P for sticking around long enough to be fired vs replaced bc he gave us 10 solid years

Everyone gets too worked up about rumors and a message board speculating on such. I hope he stays but I come here for Chakka stories and then I add my opinion. Pete Thamel if I had to guess heard Dino's name from a source (hint hint prob Dino's agent) And ran w it. Once the door closed he pulled it bc it looks foolish to b out there as a candidate of jobs u don't want or can't get

It's the business side folks. Sabans minions do it yearly too.

I stand by my original post: I'm thankful for coach P for sticking around long enough to be fired vs replaced bc he gave us 10 solid years

I'm not sure if this post is directed to my earlier response to Chakka so I'll just add that I agree with you.

I hope Babers stays but I won't be destroyed if he leaves.

I'm more interested in tangible evidence of how committed the university is to rebuilding a nationally prominent football program than the fate of one coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom