Charlie Strong Fired ?? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Charlie Strong Fired ??

No one. My point was they could have won 4 without beating VT. Don't get me wrong, I think Babers is a quality coach, (i was stumping for him practically all of last year) like everything about him, am thrilled he is here, and think he'll do a good job here. I just don't think schools that could be considered above us at this point will want to hire a guy coming off a 4-8/5-7 season. I also think he likes it here more than people here give credit for.

The wins & losses mean nothing when you are selling a system that is a proven winning and exciting offensive based system. The mistake in your line of thinking is his resume is more than just his 1 year here at SU. If he had no previous HC experience (like every other assistant coach we have hired), I would agree with you. This time we went with one who was already proven winner given the appropriate talent...and he is a media darling.

Anyway, this will be over with within the next few weeks one way or another. I for one hope he stays and takes us to the playoffs in 5-6 years. Go Orange!

Last edited:
I agree with that and that's why I think he'll do a great job here. However, if you're a big-time school, do you really want to introduce a guy to the fanbase likely coming off a 4-8 season?
The wins & losses mean nothing when you are selling a system that is a proven winning and exciting offensive based system. The mistake in your line of thinking is his resume is more than just his 1 year here at SU. If he had no previous HC experience (like every other assistant coach we have hired), I would agree with you. This time we went with one who was already proven winner given the appropriate talent...and he is a media darling.

Anyway, this will be over with within the next few weeks. I for one hope he stays and takes us to the playoffs in 5-6 years. Go Orange!

I agree with that and that's why I think he'll do a great job here. However, if you're a big-time school, do you really want to introduce a guy to the fanbase likely coming off a 4-8 season?

No not a UT of course...but Baylor is desperate and desperate people do desperate things. We will know shortly one way or another.

No not a UT of course...but Baylor is desperate and desperate people do desperate things. We will know shortly one way or another.
Dino is not leaving. Promises are being kept. His buyout is significant. If he did leave we would have the funds to hire an amazing coach. SU is fine.

Could someone PM me too? :eek:

General tone seemed to be lately that the admin gets it now, but could things really have changed much? Has had me worried. And the slow news about dome reno hasn't helped.

Anyway, What happened with Charlie? Maybe the players weren't on board for some reason?

Dino is not leaving. Promises are being kept. His buyout is significant. If he did leave we would have the funds to hire an amazing coach. SU is fine.
Yep even if he leaves (he won't) we will be OK.

Don't be held hostage people. As an alum what Dino does or doesn't change my view of this great school and our ability to find the right guy. Pitt has had 30 coaches in 10 years and have survived.

Dino is perfect for what we want to do but isn't the only guy who can coach us.

If he leaves I hope wildhack throws money at Matt Patricia or Marone redux

Last edited:
Long time lurker here. I've never posted anything substantial before and looking back I wish I had especially during the Marrone years, particularly when he was looking to leave. (I think there was a lot of rumors and misinformation about what REALLY went on during his tenure, especially between him and Gross). I no longer have the best contacts up there and am out of the loop in a way.

Anyways, chakka3421 I've been reading your posts for a while. Really enjoy them, they're well thought out and informed. But I'm curious, for sometime now, it was stated that Dino is committed to the University for 3 years (the admin would have to pony up after that third year) is that no longer the case? Could it be a case of Wildhack being on the job for less than a year and he's still shuffling through everything?

I'll hang up and listen.

Long time lurker here. I've never posted anything substantial before and looking back I wish I had especially during the Marrone years, particularly when he was looking to leave. (I think there was a lot of rumors and misinformation about what REALLY went on during his tenure, especially between him and Gross). I no longer have the best contacts up there and am out of the loop in a way.

Anyways, chakka3421 I've been reading your posts for a while. Really enjoy them, they're well thought out and informed. But I'm curious, for sometime now, it was stated that Dino is committed to the University for 3 years (the admin would have to pony up after that third year) is that no longer the case? Could it be a case of Wildhack being on the job for less than a year and he's still shuffling through everything?

I'll hang up and listen.

Keep posting, trust me the bark is a lot worse than the bite on the boards. We need more posters and fewer lurkers.

I'll hang up and listen.
The consensus is that Dino is here for 3 years minimum as a result of a draconian buyout clause.

It's got to be Baylor offering truck loads of money for Coach to leave. I hope he stays and gets those things he was promised. The future is bright, would hate to have to start all over again.

I'll hang up and listen.

The things DFB wants is nothing more than what other P5 schools have or are given (I've pm'd a few but decided to stop now). I'm told he's as stubborn as Marrone when it comes to things like this.

SUAD is in a state of flux - great observation there - and that is just natural thing when a new AD comes in given 2 ADs in 2 years now. To their credit, they seem to be moving to become more of a football school or at least a model similar to the Lville model. I think they will continue to do more for students going forward which is a good start.

What people don't realize or want to face is that JB agreed to retire in 2 years. There is no guarantee that bball will be as dominant as it has been under JB - just depends on recruiting and coaching (we really don't know if Coach Hop has the ingame bball acumen that JB has). So I think more resources will be allocated to both sports so that football doesn't suffer anymore to elevate the Olympic sports like it was under the Gross regime.

So I think SUAD realizes it's still playing catch up to other P5 football schools. But since it's an institution and change comes slowly for institutions, it is probably not moving fast enough for the likes of DFB.

Not happy.

Im in the camp that he is not leaving ... I'll say that I think that the reality of the situation has hit him like it hit FHCDM ... But HCDB is in a much better position then Doug was starting from.

I really hope the additional staff and maybe plans to meet what HCDB needs is enough to keep him around. This is a match made in heaven and SU needs to do whatever to help HCDB bring out team back to a top 25 program.

Im in the camp that he is not leaving ... I'll say that I think that the reality of the situation has hit him like it hit FHCDM ... But HCDB is in a much better position then Doug was starting from.

Hope you are right but one just needs to look at what the Coyle example has given us so don't hold your breath. It is the new reality that we all need to face.

Like I said this will all play out within the next few weeks one way or another. Nuff said on my part.

The things DFB wants is nothing more than what other P5 schools have or are given (I've pm'd a few but decided to stop now). I'm told he's as stubborn as Marrone when it comes to things like this.

SUAD is in a state of flux - great observation there - and that is just natural thing when a new AD comes in given 2 ADs in 2 years now. To their credit, they seem to be moving to become more of a football school or at least a model similar to the Lville model. I think they will continue to do more for students going forward which is a good start.

What people don't realize or want to face is that JB agreed to retire in 2 years. There is no guarantee that bball will be as dominant as it has been under JB - just depends on recruiting and coaching (we really don't know if Coach Hop has the ingame bball acumen that JB has). So I think more resources will be allocated to both sports so that football doesn't suffer anymore to elevate the Olympic sports like it was under the Gross regime.

So I think SUAD realizes it's still playing catch up to other P5 football schools. But since it's an institution and change comes slowly for institutions, it is probably not moving fast enough for the likes of DFB.

Not happy.

Maybe i'm getting cranky in my old age but maybe these coaches should think about doing some due diligence if they feel like the rug is being pulled out from under them versus accepting pie in the sky handshake declarations about the To Do List.

Was Coyle the greatest snake oil salesmen ever to get Dino to come here without any consideration of the sky high challenges only SU has. I don't buy it at all. I think people want instant success even if they profess to being a student of the process.

Syracuse will be fine ultimately b/c they will field a program and will get lucky with a Matt Ryan like prospect coupled with a manageable schedule. We are fixing the fixables. If Babers is too impatient to see it through, then see ya later. I'm still gonna be a Syracuse fan and won't lose sleep over these football gypsies

Not happy.

Thanks chakka3421 I appreciate the insight. Heard much of the same. I have all the confidence in the world in Wildhack and I do know he and his team are trying to move fast with decisions. And for everyone worried about not investing in football, don't. Things are moving up there. Exhibit A: A certain men's lacrosse coach being denied another assistant coach. Where did that investment (salary) go? Football...

Kind of unrelated, but you are 100% dead on, Marrone was certainly stubborn. Had the chance to play golf with him several times during his time here. The final time just before preseason camp started in August and the frustration with the admin was oozing from him. Something was off. Anyways, really hoping Dino can hold it together for more than 1 year. He's been here longer than our AD for god sakes. I hope he gives Wildhack some time just like he and the entire community are giving Dino time. Now, if nothing happens in the next year, then I don't blame Dino.

I remember when Babers first came to the school, he said "I can recruit to this" and that the school was exactly as Coyle said in reference to facilities. Check his opening PC. Has it been that long?

Thanks chakka3421 I appreciate the insight. Heard much of the same. I have all the confidence in the world in Wildhack and I do know he and his team are trying to move fast with decisions. And for everyone worried about not investing in football, don't. Things are moving up there. Exhibit A: A certain men's lacrosse coach being denied another assistant coach. Where did that investment (salary) go? Football...

Kind of unrelated, but you are 100% dead on, Marrone was certainly stubborn. Had the chance to play golf with him several times during his time here. The final time just before preseason camp started in August and the frustration with the admin was oozing from him. Something was off. Anyways, really hoping Dino can hold it together for more than 1 year. He's been here longer than our AD for god sakes. I hope he gives Wildhack some time just like he and the entire community are giving Dino time. Now, if nothing happens in the next year, then I don't blame Dino.
Baylor and Texas will come with more than promises .

Syracuse athletic body shots November 2016:

ED - Health
DB - Future
QG - Decision
JB - Life after Coach B - starting to become more real in my mind.
Syracuse Weather - Ugly.

Thinking positive over here.

This makes sense to me.

Every coach who has come to Syracuse University has to some extent overestimated what the Program actually entails.

It all goes back to the Coach Pasqualoni era - the Program had such great success during those years that contemporary coaches - Babers falls into that category - assumed that the Program had the resources that any major program would have had at the time.

Robinson was under that impression when he took the job - so was Gross.

And, I gather Marrone was under that impression as well - perhaps to a lesser extent.

Reality hits after the coach arrives on the scene and takes over.

So, I guess Babers overestimated the football infrastructure to some extent or made it clear that certain things had to improve? That makes sense to me.

He should be patient since the school has obviously committed to the football program in my opinion. Hopefully he will be because this can be a great, great job - a great school - a great tradition - fans who will come if the team wins - easy and affordable living - a great conference and a great home venue for what Babers wants to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom