Charlie Strong Fired ?? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Charlie Strong Fired ??

This makes sense to me.

Every coach who has come to Syracuse University has to some extent overestimated what the Program actually entails.

It all goes back to the Coach Pasqualoni era - the Program had such great success during those years that contemporary coaches - Babers falls into that category - assumed that the Program had the resources that any major program would have had at the time.

Robinson was under that impression when he took the job - so was Gross.

And, I gather Marrone was under that impression as well - perhaps to a lesser extent.

Reality hits after the coach arrives on the scene and takes over.

So, I guess Babers overestimated the football infrastructure to some extent or made it clear that certain things had to improve? That makes sense to me.

He should be patient since the school has obviously committed to the football program in my opinion. Hopefully he will be because this can be a great, great job - a great school - a great tradition - fans who will come if the team wins - easy and affordable living - a great conference and a great home venue for what Babers wants to do.

Can someone name me the school that when they showed up had the precise infrastructure they needed to succeed. I just read that Texas has some bloated administration that makes things impossible. Even Notre Dame i'm sure is a cesspool of booster influence and impossible expectations.

Stop w the excuses. If Paul Pasqualoni can sleep on the couch at Manley Field House and figure out how to make chicken salad out of the George DeLeone chicken stock, then Dino Babers can. Dino got paid market rate to fix it. Let's hope he does and this isn't a one and done b/c Syracuse didn't have every single administrative fix in within 12 months of his coronation.

I'm hearing the same thing that I heard from a friend of mine right before he got a new girlfriend . " Her stuffed peppers are really mushy " , " I have to clean the bathroom or it doesn't get cleaned " , " Her mother makes decisions for us " and blah , blah -- blah , blah , blah .

Could someone PM me too? :eek:

General tone seemed to be lately that the admin gets it now, but could things really have changed much? Has had me worried. And the slow news about dome reno hasn't helped.

Anyway, What happened with Charlie? Maybe the players weren't on board for some reason?

Charlie is in year 3 of his year build and similar to the structure of our team, his 2 deep is pretty much all Underclassmen & his starting QB is a true freshman. Its close to impossible to win like that in a major conference. Georgia is going through the same thing starting Eason this year. Next year is the year that its probably going to come together and Texas ends up with 9+ wins but they're trying to get him out before that. Honestly think there is a racist element involved that has been there from before he was even hired by some of the old money boosters. I'm going to be at the game on Friday and am interested to see how this all plays out. I'd really like to see him get another year and if he does, he'll probably have 10 more years.

Baylor and Texas will come with more than promises .

You really think that Dino is anywhere on the Texas radar? I can assure you that he's nowhere near their top 10. The boosters there are crazy enough that they believe they can take Saban from Alabama and things at that level. A coach that just won 4 games in his 1st P5 season is not getting anywhere near their list.

You really think that Dino is anywhere on the Texas radar? I can assure you that he's nowhere near their top 10. The boosters there are crazy enough that they believe they can take Saban from Alabama and things at that level. A coach that just won 4 games in his 1st P5 season is not getting anywhere near their list.
They have NFL head coaches at their disposal or so they think. Dino would need a few years of sustained success and to beat a FSU or Clemson before they would go after him.

They have NFL head coaches at their disposal or so they think. Dino would need a few years of sustained success and to beat a FSU or Clemson before they would go after him.
Which pro coach's ?

Which pro coach's ?
Jeff Fisher, guys like that. I was trying to convey that the brass over there thinks they could pull NFL guys, so a coach that is 4-8 at cuse, is not on their radar.

No, they do not. Plus, have you seen their incoming class? It imploded after Briles left and those kids are not coming back even if Babers ended up there. That said, it wouldn't matter, Baylor won't reach out to Babers and Babers isn't leaving after one year.
I don't understand all the "Baylor is loaded with talent" talk. Their talent, if you go by recruiting services, is not to far off of our talent. Since 08 they have had 3 classes rank higher than 30 and they ranked in the mid 20's. The rest have been in the 40's and 50's.

If you were Baylor , wouldn't you want a coach who's system is the same as Briles'. That would be a seemless transition , no , " It will take time to get the athletes that fit his system " speak . And yes , they do have the talent to make a run at a Championship .
see above
Here are Baylors class rankings since Briles
2016 47th
2015 44th
2014 23rd
2013 26th
2012 30th
2011 52nd
2010 51st
2009 44th
2008 56th

AVG. 41

Assuming that the current team is made up of the last 4 classes, that's an avg of 35. If we had a team with 4 straight classes that ranked 35th, would you say we have the talent to make a run at a NC? I wouldn't.

This is really great news...Baylor was the only college that had me worried as it was the only college rumored to be interested.

Babers to SMU?

I kid... I hope.

Less pressure (G-5). Better weather. No Bailey. Why not? ;)

No state taxes. Closer to his daughter?

Those were the things I was worried about with Baylor.

I'd assume SMU has to have laser focus on Major Applewhite wouldn't they?

No state taxes. Closer to his daughter?

Those were the things I was worried about with Baylor.

I'd assume SMU has to have laser focus on Major Applewhite wouldn't they?

Leave the ACC?

Go to the AAC?

Take a job with a school still impacted by the death penalty?

Pull a Todd Graham by leaving after one year?

Uprooting the families of the coaches who followed him to CNY?

I just don't believe it.

Last edited:
Leave the ACC?

Go to the AAC?

Take a job with a school still impacted by the death penalty?

Pull a Todd Graham by leaving after one year?

Uprooting the families of the coaches who followed him to CNY?

I just believe it.

I was kidding about SMU. But pointing out a couple things I worried about when his name came up for a job in Texas.

I have no clue what goes on behind the scenes but it's not unprecented for a coach or AD to say what have I gotten myself into.

But from your example, yes, these are usually Pitt problems.

I was kidding about SMU. But pointing out a couple things I worried about when his name came up for a job in Texas.

I have no clue what goes on behind the scenes but it's not unprecented for a coach or AD to say what have I gotten myself into.

But from your example, yes, these are usually Pitt problems.

Isn't his daughter a senior? And his other daughter enrolled here?

no way Dino is going to Texas. They aren't firing Strong to bring in a lightweight candidate. It'll be an NFL guy or a big time coach ready to move. Baylor hiring Morris alleviates Babers going there. Huge for Syracuse.

My biggest doomsday is if Saban leaves for the NFL (heard it's not out of the realm) and the huge domino game starts w that one. Babers may look to whatever school is at the bottom of that chain. U could see Clemson open up with Dabo heading home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom