Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely

I’d be very surprised. Title 9 deals with status at the institution, not on athletic teams. Also, SU never to my knowledge bought into the changes in Title 9 guidance affording the accused more due process protection (and those were recently rescinded anyway).
Title 9 actually gives the school more, not less, leeway to take action against a student, I.e. Yale several years ago expelled one of their basketball players. They settled his lawsuit against them.

New rules have not been rescinded ... yet.

Not just a reporter talking. This is quite the rollercoaster. If the same players who were prepared to walk out if Scanlan showed up are fine with what was said in the presser, then that could be a good sign for the theory that all Desko said was guided by procedure/Wildhack's political decisions. Still find it hard to believe this is how every staff/admin at every lax program in the country would handle the situation, but freaking out slightly less today.

Players are rallying around Desko. Should put talk of any mutiny to rest.

BKennedy put out a tweet that reads :

"Coach Desko - G.O.A.T. symbol- love this man and we got his back all day every day"

My thoughts are that there is a hole in this girl's wall the size of the Carrier Dome
Dude come on. It is not relevant to you at all that the same team members that were willing to boycott practice if scanlan showed up and went all the way to wildhack to discuss the situation are now still supportive of desko even in the wake of the press conference? That means nothing? These are the same teammates who have been putting in effort to remove scanlan as soon as possible.

Not formally, but for all intents and purposes they’re gone.

Not if you have to conduct an investigation at the moment (if I am wrong you can tell me - I wont be offended). I agree with you that the Department of Education will ultimately evicerate them though.

This is a post I would not have written but for the current situation. It seemed to me--and I'm hardly an expert in body language or team chemistry--that the celebrations after Scanlan's goals became more and more perfunctory and aloof as the season has gone along. A tap on the shoulder and a quick turn away. It led me to wonder what his relationship with the team actually was. The celebrations--without Scanlan--after the most recent Virginia game seemed to reflect a completely different and joyful vibe. Or maybe it's my imagination. I'm curious what the more knowledgeable posters think.

Basically, since Scanlan hasn't yet been charged with a crime, the process will take longer.

just as I suspected, this is a tough spot for all involved, and it starts that from all appearances Scanlon has work to do personally.

This is a post I would not have written but for the current situation. It seemed to me--and I'm hardly an expert in body language or team chemistry--that the celebrations after Scanlan's goals became more and more perfunctory and aloof as the season has gone along. A tap on the shoulder and a quick turn away. It led me to wonder what his relationship with the team actually was. The celebrations--without Scanlan--after the most recent Virginia game seemed to reflect a completely different and joyful vibe. Or maybe it's my imagination. I'm curious what the more knowledgeable posters think.

the offense is a five man offense on one side and him posting up to the left of the cage taking a lot of low percentage shots

If all of the Captains are against him, that likely has a lot of pull w the rest of the team. Is it possible he has a good friend here or there, sure. But they arent going to challenge the Captains, who they also very well may be friends with.

Is that fact?, or just some innuendo and speculation. I don't know for a fact that all the captains and team members are for or against anything.

Not if you have to conduct an investigation at the moment (if I am wrong you can tell me - I wont be offended). I agree with you that the Department of Education will ultimately evicerate them though.
I think the short answer is that the Trump era rules would apply to a pending Title IX investigation. Those rules deal primarily with evidentiary burdens, right to confront your accuser and who can attend a hearing among other things.

It may look flat out horrible but this is the university navigating their Title IX compliance.

It doesn't take a genius to read between the lines here.

Teammates have seen enough to make it known Chase is persona non grata.

Desko/admin understand but have to balance their compliance obligations while any fact finding may be under way.

And all of this is contingent on the victim's timeline. Give her time to decide what she wants and let it play out.

This is why the university can't, and shouldn't, speak definitively on the matter.
And if he has a grant in aid I doubt they can arbitrarily yank it.

this isn’t a 60 minute police procedural

My thoughts are that there is a hole in this girl's wall the size of the Carrier Dome

young men have been known to punch walls. Theres plenty of indications the kid has issues. but a hole in a wall if it was his fist that created it is proof of nothing more than he was angry about something. not saying it’s justified, but it’s not conclusive of anything beyond that.

Correct. SU is trying to thread the needle to avoid impinging on both students.

Anything demonstrably favoring or harming one side will trigger a lawsuit.

I only care that the woman involved is given the time and support to do what's best for her.

Edit - and people crapping on Desko and Wildhack at this point are only ratcheting up the temperature which never helps in DV cases.

I don’t work in New York, but I am a prosecutor. This is not unusual in the least, especially in a domestic violence case. Victims of domestic violence, unfortunately, routinely refuse to cooperate with authorities after the fact, even if they’re the one who called 911 in the first place. Happens allllllllll the time.

That could be what happened here. Or Scanlan could, you know, be innocent. Or the truth of what happened could lie somewhere in between. It could also be that Scanlan is a huge a-s-s-h-o-l-e and his teammates heard what might have happened and they were all just like, Yup, Chase is a dick. We could see him doing X, Y, Z.
Spot on.

Something to keep in mind: if the alleged victim is on the Women’s Lax team as rumored, they’re currently down in Chapel Hill, NC for the ACC tourney. This could add some context to the possible delay.

Fitzpatrick has been quoted as saying “in the near future” & “at her convenience” when referencing meeting with the alleged victim.

This has been quite apparent to me as well &, as you said, has only become increasingly more apparent from the very 1st game on. Like you, it was something I would’ve never posted if not within the current context.

He has a Haudenosaunee Promise scholarship for Native Americans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom