Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely

Players have media interviews every Thursday, think they go through with those?
Should be skipped. Been only two replies to your weekly and excellent game preview this week while 500 posts on this thread. ND game will be way down the line of media questioning and a "no comment" interview shouldn't be required of players who have been distracted enough doing what should have been done by administrators.

Should be skipped. Been only two replies to your weekly and excellent game preview this week while 500 posts on this thread. ND game will be way down the line of media questioning and a "no comment" interview shouldn't be required of players who have been distracted enough doing what should have been done by administrators.
Agree. Desko should have skipped his too.

You seriously don’t think the team knows exactly what happened?
I think it’s likely the team knows way more than we do. I also respect the players for having the principles to take a stand. At the same time, these decisions cannot be made by players. There are legal issues, liability issues and due process rights issues that need to be considered. The university needs to be in charge and proceed cautiously.

And it's fine for SU to take things somewhat slow, but the team deciding that they want nothing to do with him makes SU and Desko look terrible.
Disagree with this 100%.

I don’t work in New York, but I am a prosecutor. This is not unusual in the least, especially in a domestic violence case. Victims of domestic violence, unfortunately, routinely refuse to cooperate with authorities after the fact, even if they’re the one who called 911 in the first place. Happens allllllllll the time.

That could be what happened here. Or Scanlan could, you know, be innocent. Or the truth of what happened could lie somewhere in between. It could also be that Scanlan is a huge a-s-s-h-o-l-e and his teammates heard what might have happened and they were all just like, Yup, Chase is a dick. We could see him doing X, Y, Z.
yes, and you would know better than me. but someone, 3rd party or not , made an allegation within 24 hours. or campus po made admin aware of an ongoing. the rest might come down to title 9 and a game of telephone and past behavior and relationships informing insider opinions.

'cuse hands may be tied and only this option (or the one they see as least risk). or it could be any number of scenarios.

What doesn't make sense, and what a lot of people are very upset about, is that we now know Scanlan was reinstated while there was still an open domestic violence case against him. No it was not an official police investigation (yet), but campus police did open a case and at the time of the reinstatement it still hadn't been resolved—and still isn't. Clearly he was suspended for a reason. To officially reinstate him in such a short time, and then invite him back to practice/use the facilities (albeit alone, apparently) with the situation unresolved, is a head-scratcher and whether it was justified or not, to the outside world it looks flat out horrible.

What doesn't make sense, and what a lot of people are very upset about, is that we now know Scanlan was reinstated while there was still an open domestic violence case against him. No it was not an official police investigation (yet), but campus police did open a case and at the time of the reinstatement it still hadn't been resolved—and still isn't. Clearly he was suspended for a reason. To officially reinstate him in such a short time, and then invite him back to practice/use the facilities (albeit alone, apparently) with the situation unresolved, is a head-scratcher and whether it was justified or not, to the outside world it looks flat out horrible.

If she chose not to press charges, is there still a case?

If she has him arrested, the case can be reopened.

I think it’s likely the team knows way more than we do. I also respect the players for having the principles to take a stand. At the same time, these decisions cannot be made by players. There are legal issues, liability issues and due process rights issues that need to be considered. The university needs to be in charge and proceed cautiously.
And perhaps issues with how all of this is being perceived by the Haudenosaunee?

It may look flat out horrible but this is the university navigating their Title IX compliance.

It doesn't take a genius to read between the lines here.

Teammates have seen enough to make it known Chase is persona non grata.

Desko/admin understand but have to balance their compliance obligations while any fact finding may be under way.

And all of this is contingent on the victim's timeline. Give her time to decide what she wants and let it play out.

This is why the university can't, and shouldn't, speak definitively on the matter.

Away from any potential legal and criminal implications, does it really matter if the whole team does not want to be associated ? Can sixty players be forced to accept what they find unacceptable?

Away from any potential legal and criminal implications, does it really matter if the whole team does not want to be associated ? Can sixty players be forced to accept what they find unacceptable?

Of course. But sixty players have more collective leverage than one. "Bring him back and we walk." Pretty straight forward. So long as Chase remains enrolled at SU, and receives whatever financial aid the University agreed to provide, the University is not in the wrong, even if he's punted from the team.

Just my guess, but yes
I’d be very surprised. Title 9 deals with status at the institution, not on athletic teams. Also, SU never to my knowledge bought into the changes in Title 9 guidance affording the accused more due process protection (and those were recently rescinded anyway).
Title 9 actually gives the school more, not less, leeway to take action against a student, I.e. Yale several years ago expelled one of their basketball players. They settled his lawsuit against them.

Reopened? It's still open, at least according to the university's own records.

Now the DA is getting involved, which they had to have known was a possibility.

Deciding to not initially press charges doesn't absolve the person of potential wrongdoing. Everyone knows charges are not always filed immediately. The cops were called on him and a case was opened. We have no idea what physical evidence there may or may not be. He should have stayed suspended until the situation came to a conclusion. Desko admitted during the presser yesterday it was his decision to reinstate and was not forced by some kind of rule. Until they provide an update or clarification to that like they did with the "practiced with team vs. on his own" then that's all we have to go on.

Safe to say that if the University had EB on its legal staff , this discussion would likely have been the hot topic on a later day .

Game vs ND is less than 48 hrs away

Not just a reporter talking. This is quite the rollercoaster. If the same players who were prepared to walk out if Scanlan showed up are fine with what was said in the presser, then that could be a good sign for the theory that all Desko said was guided by procedure/Wildhack's political decisions. Still find it hard to believe this is how every staff/admin at every lax program in the country would handle the situation, but freaking out slightly less today.

Not just a reporter talking. This is quite the rollercoaster. If the same players who were prepared to walk out if Scanlan showed up are fine with what was said in the presser, then that could be a good sign for the theory that all Desko said was guided by procedure/Wildhack's political decisions. Still find it hard to believe this is how every staff/admin at every lax program in the country would handle the situation, but freaking out slightly less today.

Also 20 - 25 other current players liked or retweeted that. From new young arrivals like Tenaglia to 5th year seniors. These youngins do not tend to be dishonest on social media. Would hope that college crosse and other media folks who chimed in will at least acknowledge this wrinkle in the story. You can acknowledge this while not letting the admin off the hook.

Those in media who don't understand Title IX should truly read up on it. It's not always a deep conspiracy and sometimes simply a matter of legal precedent. I 100% believe that the SU AD is acting in the best interests of the student athletes at its core. Those who say otherwise, likely aren't read into a very difficult situation for a number of parties.

The big difference is it is not a RIGHT to be on the team, it is a privilege. If I was the Head Coach and my team threatened to walk out if the player in question was allowed back on the team - I'd probably cut bait and that would be it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom