Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely

Agreed but he's still putting up points. If last year was not cut short perhaps he forces himself into the lineup but with Seebold already running as the 4th attackmen that seems unlikely. My point is that its another personnel question that is coming up more and more the last few years.
Donnelly would also probably the most like for like replacement for Scanlan if he was on the roster.

Despite the obstacles with the injuries, this team has shown they can really psych themselves up when angry, which they most certainly are. I don't think they are overly pleased being viewed as the laughing stock of the ACC with plenty on social media happily piling on. The level of fight they have on Saturday may surprise some. The pessimism on here is warranted, but Saturday is not some guaranteed death march.

My only deeply sincere hope is that we do not add any more games. There has to be no stupid backdoor opportunity to get in the tourney that is on their minds in the UVA and ND games. They have to be in full on playoff mode, not thinking "well if we beat binghamton next week we have a shot."

play ferris.jpg

Despite the obstacles with the injuries, this team has shown they can really psych themselves up when angry, which they most certainly are. I don't think they are overly pleased being viewed as the laughing stock of the ACC with plenty on social media happily piling on. The level of fight they have on Saturday may surprise some. The pessimism on here is warranted, but Saturday is not some guaranteed death march.

My only deeply sincere hope is that we do not add any more games. There has to be no stupid backdoor opportunity to get in the tourney that is on their minds in the UVA and ND games. They have to be in full on playoff mode, not thinking "well if we beat binghamton next week we have a shot."

I think SU has to schedule another game, in most years they would be out but with the IVY out and B10 down, you can't not re-schedule that Utah game. I hope the team comes out and does damage on Sat vs UVA but we all thought the same this past Sat and we saw how that went unfortunately. Big moment for this team.

I think SU has to schedule another game, in most years they would be out but with the IVY out and B10 down, you can't not re-schedule that Utah game. I hope the team comes out and does damage on Sat vs UVA but we all thought the same this past Sat and we saw how that went unfortunately. Big moment for this team.
This Saturday they were coming off a half way decent Albany game. As silly as it sounds I have to think that makes a difference than if we played them immediately after the humiliating ND game. Personally I do not really want to be in the tourney if they cant beat either ND or UVA, but I guess I will take it if they somehow get in after beating some cupcake. It just seems like a handout that would never translate to tourney success. Although stranger things have happened (UNC 2016).

Hopefully they can match the level of fight UVA will have after being embarrassed in The Dome. There was a lot of antics & chirping from SU players, both on the field & sideline, during that game. None of it crossed the line & it was just a team having fun, showing excitement, & relishing a win but I can guarantee UVA hasn’t forgotten & will be motivated to get revenge on their Senior Day.

I don't get the fascination or love affair with Cook at all and thats coming from someone who was sky high on him coming in. I don't want to be disparaging but he has 2 pts the entire year despite receiving extended PT. This makes absolutely no sense and is more ammo for the Desko must go part of the fanbase.

Yeah I look at it from the perspective of how unimpressive are the other guys in practice at this point? Unless this is Desko just being Desko?

Yeah I look at it from the perspective of how unimpressive are the other guys in practice at this point? Unless this is Desko just being Desko?
We all know that cook clearly has a lot of talent. Even with how terrible he is doing this year from a points standpoint he has had moments that were good enough off the dodge where you can see his talent level. He has always been praised as this guy who looks great in preseason scrimmages and it would not surprise me at all if, to this day, he is still a guy on the team who looks the most impressive in practice. It could be similar to Lucas Quinn and Desko's continuous praise of him without results on the field (until recently somewhat). Im sure Cook doesn't get the starting role out of the gate without showing he is ready in the few practices we had before Army.

One could argue Desko is relying too much on practice/preseason performances vs in game results if he plays Cook over Seebold. If you asked me who had more talent during the preseason scrimmages and first 5 games last year, I would say Cook 100%. I don't think it is necessarily a knock on our younger players if they aren't outperforming him convincingly enough in practice.

I’d like to see #22 handled similar to how #11 has been, though I’m fully on board with Spallina being given it as a frosh. HS Lax, like HS hoops, has become so much more about what you do on the Club/AAU circuit. It’s about evaluating kids based on their performance among/against the best of the best nationally. Evans was a standout for Orange Crush each summer but Spallina has literally, according to experts, been the best player at basically every summer event he’s attended. He walks the walk & backs up his ranking. We’ll never know how Evans faired against Rambo or top defenders on the club circuit but, in today’s day & age, we’ll know exactly how Spallina faired matched up against the best of the best.

I wish Chase well and thank him for all he has done! There is no curse of 22 it works with number 1 at Maryland? I don’t like the criticism of Jordan Evans he produced and was on a highly successful team with lots of weapons.

We have lots of options at Attack but I don’t think we need a filler we need a threat at righty attack and personally I’d put Tucker there, id pump Quinn to 1st midfield and Ferris to the 2nd.

All remember when we had a so called unsuccessful season we followed by winning the National Championship.

Weird year with weird circumstances!

I’ve heard about 37 rumours about this situation. Some in which I don’t think deserved a suspension, some which definitely deserved one, and some where I think other people should have been suspended. But only the people who are on the team or close to people on the team will ever know what really happened.

Does anyone know if Chase is for sure done here and going to play somewhere else? Some people on this board and other platforms are giving him well wishes and making it sound that way. Hope that isn’t the case.

What I don’t hope is that Desko completely writes him off and before we know it he transferring elsewhere. I.e. that goalie who got in trouble then transferred to UTampa. I.e. that face off guy who also got in trouble then transferred to Stevenson then back here with the hopes of getting back on the team but never did, and is now currently at Cortland.

My hope out this situation is that Desko and the team forgive him for whatever has happened and welcome him back eventually. If Babers can forgive Neil for getting arrested for having a gun, I think Desko can in this situation as well. Give the kid an opportunity to learn from mistakes and grow as a person.

I’ve heard about 37 rumours about this situation. Some in which I don’t think deserved a suspension, some which definitely deserved one, and some where I think other people should have been suspended. But only the people who are on the team or close to people on the team will ever know what really happened.

Does anyone know if Chase is for sure done here and going to play somewhere else? Some people on this board and other platforms are giving him well wishes and making it sound that way. Hope that isn’t the case.

What I don’t hope is that Desko completely writes him off and before we know it he transferring elsewhere. I.e. that goalie who got in trouble then transferred to UTampa. I.e. that face off guy who also got in trouble then transferred to Stevenson then back here with the hopes of getting back on the team but never did, and is now currently at Cortland.

My hope out this situation is that Desko and the team forgive him for whatever has happened and welcome him back eventually. If Babers can forgive Neil for getting arrested for having a gun, I think Desko can in this situation as well. Give the kid an opportunity to learn from mistakes and grow as a person.

Desko doesn't even know if it's a one game suspension, two gamer, season suspension, or career ender.

so what was he not wearing a mask? j/k. The goalie who went to Tampa is their starter. Blake Ulmer

I wish Chase well and thank him for all he has done! There is no curse of 22 it works with number 1 at Maryland? I don’t like the criticism of Jordan Evans he produced and was on a highly successful team with lots of weapons.

We have lots of options at Attack but I don’t think we need a filler we need a threat at righty attack and personally I’d put Tucker there, id pump Quinn to 1st midfield and Ferris to the 2nd.

All remember when we had a so called unsuccessful season we followed by winning the National Championship.

i dont see Ferris as a middie. (at least when i had seen him in extended action at the HS level never once did i think mid.) It'd be like putting Refhus at mid.

Last edited:

Tucker at attack would be interesting. He is the type of dodger where you want him on the field at all times. I believe Jeremy mentioned that his foot injury troubles may be a reason for him not seeing the field more. It might be my imagination, and it also might be the toll of the full season, but he seems to have lost just a hair of burst this year compared to the opening games in 2020. He wears all kinds of wraps on his leg as well. It is quite common to reward someone with his dodging ability with an attack spot, especially with the positionless play today where it can basically just mean you are on the field more than a "middie." That is basically what UVA did with Moore. He was crushing it as a young middie so they moved him down to attack to use his dodging more consistently. Connor Kelly of MD as well.

We all know that cook clearly has a lot of talent. Even with how terrible he is doing this year from a points standpoint he has had moments that were good enough off the dodge where you can see his talent level. He has always been praised as this guy who looks great in preseason scrimmages and it would not surprise me at all if, to this day, he is still a guy on the team who looks the most impressive in practice. It could be similar to Lucas Quinn and Desko's continuous praise of him without results on the field (until recently somewhat). Im sure Cook doesn't get the starting role out of the gate without showing he is ready in the few practices we had before Army.

One could argue Desko is relying too much on practice/preseason performances vs in game results if he plays Cook over Seebold. If you asked me who had more talent during the preseason scrimmages and first 5 games last year, I would say Cook 100%. I don't think it is necessarily a knock on our younger players if they aren't outperforming him convincingly enough in practice.

This is a fair evaluation in a lot of ways. The coaches probably view Cook as "safe", a guy who can move the ball, make the right reads and most importantly won't turn the ball over (though six is a little high IMO, Rhefuss only has five). If the argument for why he's not producing is he's not playing the right position, then if you trust him that much you have to move him to attack if a spot is available. I think thats probably the logic the coaches are taking if they decide to move him/why they are still playing him.

That said I don't agree with it. I don't really buy the playing out of position business - the staff has inverted him a ton and he's had plenty of chances behind the goal. He's simply making the same mistakes and showing the same issues that he was last year - he can't shake his man and his size allows him to be pushed around. He still shoots too soon coming from around GLE and doesn't give himself the best angle, and in general it looks like he panics and takes shots too quickly, or shoots it right at the goalie. As Parcells would say, you are what your record is, and I can't remember a player like Cook getting that much time and producing so little. I have to imagine Fiorni and Magnan move on after this year? And Max Rosa?

Tucker at attack would be interesting. He is the type of dodger where you want him on the field at all times. I believe Jeremy mentioned that his foot injury troubles may be a reason for him not seeing the field more. It might be my imagination, and it also might be the toll of the full season, but he seems to have lost just a hair of burst this year compared to the opening games in 2020. He wears all kinds of wraps on his leg as well. It is quite common to reward someone with his dodging ability with an attack spot, especially with the positionless play today where it can basically just mean you are on the field more than a "middie." That is basically what UVA did with Moore. He was crushing it as a young middie so they moved him down to attack to use his dodging more consistently. Connor Kelly of MD as well.
cuse doesn't really play positionless. yes, they invert a bunch w the mids, but how many times have you seen rehfuss, hiltz or scanlon taking guys from up top? the most they do is get up above gle for crease cuts on inverts.

i will say if they have dordevic or curry there, they'll draw the 3rd pole, a redshirt freshman. but the other guy will be getting conners, and not a ssdm matchup for 1 of them.

Seebold, Cook and Ferris are all natural attackman and best employed there, hopefully the season will extend long `enough to showcase abilities for 22 season. Seebold has another year of eligibility, whether he uses it or not is unknown but he has the physical attributes and talent to be a strong attackman that has to be poled. Moving either Tucker or Curry down is a option/consideration for next year . Teams do rearrange if versatility and fit affords. Curry is a better passer off dodges and problably closest thing to replacing the overall skillset of Refhuss at X, Tucker is shiftier and can absorb more, if Seebold succeeds (and returns) then Dordevic wouldn't be as needed. Discussion on dm issues but one subject that is never brought up here is defensive abilities of offensive middies and their role in transition defense. When unable to get off, Trimboli is our best perhaps because he is positioned deeper than others but too often our mids trail transition.. Hiltz and Scanlan have actually chased and defended better from up top than other mids with more perceived atheleticsm. If Scanlan ever returns, a move back to mid could be considered. Cook offensive potential is best at attack, his usage on second line rather than others perplexes given his limited production but it is partially due to his ability to run and defend. I wouldn't expect him to play at mid again n 22 . Beyond Quinn, how Cuse fills out 1st and 2nd mid lines next year may be just as much of a discussion as attack.

I have seen the same diminution of quickness and agility in Dordevic. It seems like he is either feeling the effects of foot problems or reluctant to test his feet with extreme moves. good post.

Seebold, Cook and Ferris are all natural attackman and best employed there, hopefully the season will extend long `enough to showcase abilities for 22 season. Seebold has another year of eligibility, whether he uses it or not is unknown but he has the physical attributes and talent to be a strong attackman that has to be poled. Moving either Tucker or Curry down is a option/consideration for next year . Teams do rearrange if versatility and fit affords. Curry is a better passer off dodges and problably closest thing to replacing the overall skillset of Refhuss at X, Tucker is shiftier and can absorb more, if Seebold succeeds (and returns) then Dordevic wouldn't be as needed. Discussion on dm issues but one subject that is never brought up here is defensive abilities of offensive middies and their role in transition defense. When unable to get off, Trimboli is our best perhaps because he is positioned deeper than others but too often our mids trail transition.. Hiltz and Scanlan have actually chased and defended better from up top than other mids with more perceived atheleticsm. If Scanlan ever returns, a move back to mid could be considered. Cook offensive potential is best at attack, his usage on second line rather than others perplexes given his limited production but it is partially due to his ability to run and defend. I wouldn't expect him to play at mid again n 22 . Beyond Quinn, how Cuse fills out 1st and 2nd mid lines next year may be just as much of a discussion as attack.
good job. very insightful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom