Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely

1619385607326.png

In case anyone missed this yesterday.

Dylan Maltz left because Kevin Rice was in front of him, both right handed. Jordan Evans was left handed.
Good point. Ya, I’m probably wrong, and I’m probably also too focused on the great talent that we miss out on (either local talent that we miss in recruiting or great players that we get but can’t keep, like Maltz, Wisnauski, and now Donnelly). Evans is the only SU lax player that I have ever really not wanted to be on the field (and the thought of having that happen again with Cook is triggering me). With Dylan Maltz I assumed that because he was the same class as Jordan Evans and because he was behind him in the depth chart, that must have played at least some role in him leaving. Kevin Rice and Randy Staats were both all-time SU greats, and I don’t think any player would argue about sitting behind them. I’d take Dylan Maltz on the field any day over Jordan Evans though, and I don’t care what’s his hand dominance. I think that the coach should put their best players on the field though (regardless of their class or hand dominance), and just let them play. Playing all right handers Mike Powell, Mike Springer, and Liam Banks at attack worked pretty well for this program!

Last edited:
Good point. Ya, I’m probably wrong, and I’m probably also too focused on the great talent that we miss out on (either local talent that we miss in recruiting or great players that we get but can’t keep, like Maltz, Wisnauski, and now Donnelly). Evans is the only SU lax player that I have ever really not wanted to be on the field (and the thought of having that happen again with Cook is triggering me). With Dylan Maltz I assumed that because he was the same class as Jordan Evans and because he was behind him in the depth chart, that must have played at least some role in him leaving. Kevin Rice and Randy Staats were both all-time SU greats, and I don’t think any player would argue about sitting behind them. I’d take Dylan Maltz on the field any day over Jordan Evans though, and I don’t care what’s his hand dominance. I think that the coach should put their best players on the field though (regardless of their class or hand dominance), and just let them play. Playing all right handers Mike Powell, Mike Springer, and Liam Banks at attack worked pretty well for this program!
I understand your point and it is frustrating when good young players leave the program. Remember, the third attack on that line was Dylan Donahue. Jordan Evans was getting runs at 2nd midfield. Maltz was going to have to wait 2 years, unless there was an injury, to see any significant playing time.

I think at the time it was not clear that Maltz was a better player than Evans, and I don't really think he set the world on fire at Maryland. He was their third best attackman and played more of an off-ball role. Evans was injured a bit from what I remember in 2014 when he and Maltz were freshmen at SU. Evans was firmly on the 2nd midfield line in 2015, Maltz's first year at UMD, so it doesn't seem like Evans had much to do with Maltz's transfer.

Losing Wisnauskas hurts.

I think at the time it was not clear that Maltz was a better player than Evans, and I don't really think he set the world on fire at Maryland. He was their third best attackman and played more of an off-ball role. Evans was injured a bit from what I remember in 2014 when he and Maltz were freshmen at SU. Evans was firmly on the 2nd midfield line in 2015, Maltz's first year at UMD, so it doesn't seem like Evans had much to do with Maltz's transfer.

Losing Wisnauskas hurts.
Good call. I was just not a fan of Evans (again, first time ever for an SU lax player), so I’m too biased. Ya, Maltz was an off ball player, but he did score 6 goals in the Final Four weekend in ‘17, and helped Maryland win a national championship though! I hope I’m wrong about Cook, and I really do hope he can be productive. Seeing Daniel Maltz, Wisnauski, and Donnelly ALL as national points leaders this year hurts though.

Too early to tell but Seebold may prove to be that addition by subtraction guy .

Ill admit that I was not a big fan of Seebold until recentlyZ. He basically did nothing for 3 years and I’ve been shocked by his (and Quinn’s) turnaround . Cook on the other hand continues to dissapoint.

That all aside, I like the double dodge threat and more aggressive play to the cage that Seebold has brought in with confidence.

Scanlan is a deceptive player but never seemed to really get going as far as what was hoped for. Yes a lot of points but much of it in meaningless contests.

I think we may be better off here ..and I don’t think we will ever see Scanlan In a Cuse uniform again .

Thinking replacing Scanlan with Seebold is "addition by subtraction," is pure wishful thinking. (not intended to be a knock on Seebold, who's played well this year)

I have no insight with respect to how Scanlan is on campus or as a "locker room guy," but on the field, a few bone headed plays aside, I thought he generally was a solid attacking threat (depth definitely hurt by his absence as there is a big drop off after the top 3 now), our leading goal scorer for two straight years, he rode hard, and was always quick to celebrate with teammates after receiving a nice pass. He has 5-star talent, which is needed in a conference where every game your opponent is stacked with 5-star players too. Also, players of that calibre who do not decimate the scholly counter are an incredibly valuable asset for the Program.

Hope he's allowed back.

Last edited:
We lose Rehfuss and Trimboli next year for sure, and who knows what else will go down in the off season. Some comments on the guy read like they are glad he is gone for good. If someone wants to say that he should maybe have a reduced role on the team, like running him out of the box instead of starting attack, then we can have that discussion, but any take beyond that seems silly to me. Ferris and Cook were not getting it done AT ALL on the second middie line yesterday. 13 goals given all the additional possession time we had off faceoffs is not going to cut it down the road. Every offense that wants to go all the way needs depth and needs several serious threats. All I know for sure about Scanlan is that he is an unselfish player on the field and doesn't hurt the team with his on-field play. As the comment above says, there are no on-field signs that he has some underlying tension with the rest of the team. Won't make any assumptions about his off field antics until the actual truth comes out.

We lose Rehfuss and Trimboli next year for sure, and who knows what else will go down in the off season. Some comments on the guy read like they are glad he is gone for good. If someone wants to say that he should maybe have a reduced role on the team, like running him out of the box instead of starting attack, then we can have that discussion, but any take beyond that seems silly to me. Ferris and Cook were not getting it done AT ALL on the second middie line yesterday. 13 goals given all the additional possession time we had off faceoffs is not going to cut it down the road. Every offense that wants to go all the way needs depth and needs several serious threats. All I know for sure about Scanlan is that he is an unselfish player on the field and doesn't hurt the team with his on-field play. As the comment above says, there are no on-field signs that he has some underlying tension with the rest of the team. Won't make any assumptions about his off field antics until the actual truth comes out.
excellent points. I think criticism of Scanlan has to do with the disappointment we all experienced. He is a far above average attack, for me he's in the echelon with the better attacks in the college game. Let's all acknowledge that for as long as he is gone, he leaves a big hole in the offense. And then, if he is gone for good, wish him well. Don't let disappointment turn to bitterness.

excellent points. I think criticism of Scanlan has to do with the disappointment we all experienced. He is a far above average attack, for me he's in the echelon with the better attacks in the college game. Let's all acknowledge that for as long as he is gone, he leaves a big hole in the offense. And then, if he is gone for good, wish him well. Don't let disappointment turn to bitterness.
Yeah, I think the last few posts regarding Scanlan have been really good and describe how I feel about it.

In the realm of attackmen nationally that aren't the typical QB attackmen, I think Scanlan is one of the best. I'm curious if the offense will run a bit differently with Seebold being a more traditional dodging threat in the line up. Also, it's interesting that Trimboli had a kind of break out game for this season in the recent UVA game. Maybe it's because he's a 5th year senior. But, switching the lineup a bit might unlock some players' to have a bigger impact. It might have the opposite effect on others. We'll see.

Chase has been reinstated according to chases dad intagram
Scott scanlan
Scott? Every story I read that mentions him says his name is Thomas.

For example, "It started with a list. Mark Burnam, Scanlan’s coach at IMG, told him he needed to prioritize what he wanted out of a new school. Scanlan’s father, Thomas, weighed in too. Proximity, system, major, connections — which place would have the best mix?"

This is starting to seem like it must have been some random low level covid related mistake.

Chase has been reinstated according to chases dad intagram
Scott scanlan
I really hope this is the case. Anyone on here or in general who thinks the program is better off without Scanlan is a bonehead, honestly. Was our leading scorer last year before COVID hit, and was our leading scorer again this year until he was suspended. The sooner he gets back on the field the better. I don't know if this is a school issue or lacrosse issue-- but Desko better be sticking his neck out for Scanlan in any situation, period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom