Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely

Again under the new Title 9 regulations that doesn't seem to be an option until the investigation has been completed.

Actually that's not true. Having been involved with a few Title 9 situations, typically when there is a Title 9 investigation, the student in question is suspended from team activities until the matter is resolved. Removing Chase from the team would not effect either an investigation or anything else. He would still have his financial aid until the end of the current academic term. Just wouldn't be associated with the team.

Sheila Johnson-Willis is the only person that knows how and what title 9 rules if any apply to the Chase Scanlon case. We should all wait until it’s over to make comments.

Sheila Johnson-Willis is the only person that knows how and what title 9 rules if any apply to the Chase Scanlon case. We should all wait until it’s over to make comments.
did you really mean we should all wait until it's over to make comments or were you just kidding?

If it's a false allegation, then he can absolutely make a case that Desko kicking him off the team further damaged him and his reputation, which is absolutely fair game in a civil suit. When you're as high-level of a player as Scanlan, you can argue all kinds of financial damage resulting from this move (i.e., endorsements, impending professional contracts, etc.).

Would he win? I'm not so sure. But this is the sort of exposure that athletic departments and their legal consultants try to minimize.
Not against Desko. Nothing wrong with suspending a player/employee with public allegations such as these.
The damages to reputation are the underlying allegations, not the suspension.
If the allegations are false, all the damages go back to the original actions.

Actually that's not true. Having been involved with a few Title 9 situations, typically when there is a Title 9 investigation, the student in question is suspended from team activities until the matter is resolved. Removing Chase from the team would not effect either an investigation or anything else. He would still have his financial aid until the end of the current academic term. Just wouldn't be associated with the team.
Yeah. I don’t get why people can’t disassociate the scholarship with being on the team.

Its a sad situation for everyone involved. Obviously Chase and his girlfriend have a volatile relationship. Im sure this isn't their first blow up. Possibly their worst but certainly not their first. SU and Desko are in a no win position. Hands tied via rules and regulations stuck in limbo while the investigation evolves. Out of all of this there are two positives.
First, the team captains acting like captains. Taking a stance and doing so in what seems to be a professional way.
Second, the players sticking up for the coaches. If im the AD that speaks volumes.
I disagree that Desko or the school has handled this poorly. The initial suspension was warranted. When no charges were filed im not sure what choice other than lifting the suspension could have been made.
The one mistake was Desko should have spoken to the team and the AD and not gone solo. Ill give him a break on that one as have his players.
Chase and his girlfriend need to get some serious counseling. Chase needs to find a new school. SU needs to close this out and move forward with Desko as he doesn't deserve to be fired over this.

The one mistake was Desko should have spoken to the team and the AD and not gone solo. Ill give him a break on that one as have his players.
Chase and his girlfriend need to get some serious counseling. Chase needs to find a new school. SU needs to close this out and move forward with Desko as he doesn't deserve to be fired over this.

You can bet that Desko didn't open his mouth without hearing from Wildhack and the SU Legal Dept. first.

And Desko isn't going to get fired over Scanlan. He's going to get fired when Rob't Morris scores 20 goals on us this week.

Not against Desko. Nothing wrong with suspending a player/employee with public allegations such as these.
The damages to reputation are the underlying allegations, not the suspension.
If the allegations are false, all the damages go back to the original actions.
True, but it's all about what you can make a case with (or think you can). Hopefully the school is following their Title IX playbook to the letter, as this can get messy. Our humble D2 school where I've seen cases play out would probably look the same way from the outside looking in as SU does right now.

Last edited:
Obviously Chase and his girlfriend have a volatile relationship. Im sure this isn't their first blow up. Possibly their worst but certainly not their first...Chase and his girlfriend need to get some serious counseling.

This is a gross post. You know something about their relationship that we don't? All we know is that she called campus police after an incident, there is a large hole in her wall, and now the county DA is looking into it. Those are the only facts. You are concocting this narrative of a "volatile relationship" where "blow ups" happen all the time out of thin air, presumably to make it seem like whatever happened wasn't that big of a deal?

Last edited:
This is a gross post. You know something about their relationship that we don't? All we know is that she called campus police after an incident, there is a large hole in her wall, and now the county DA is looking into it. Those are the only facts. You are concocting this narrative of a "volatile relationship" where "blow ups" happen all the time out of thin air, presumably to make it seem like whatever happened wasn't that big of a deal?
That is completely the opposite of my point. Given that the team was unified against Chase to the point of walking out i would bet that this wasn't the first incidence between these two. Im not defending nor condemning Chase. Im simply making a point that i dont believe this was the first time chase and his girlfriend have had a serious public argument

That is completely the opposite of my point. Given that the team was unified against Chase to the point of walking out i would bet that this wasn't the first incidence between these two. Im not defending nor condemning Chase. Im simply making a point that i dont believe this was the first time chase and his girlfriend have had a serious public argument

Now it was just an "argument"?? How many arguments end up with a giant hole in the wall? The issue is in the way you are framing the incident as just some typical episode in a relationship. You have no idea what actually happened, who did what, who was at fault, or whether or not it has happened before. "First incident between these two""blow up" "volatile relationship in need of counseling"...the language you keep using to describe the incident is bizarre and completely unverified.

Now it was just an "argument"?? How many arguments end up with a giant hole in the wall? The issue is in the way you are framing the incident as just some typical episode in a relationship. You have no idea what actually happened, who did what, who was at fault, or whether or not it has happened before. "First incident between these two""blow up" "volatile relationship in need of counseling"...the language you keep using to describe the incident is bizarre and completely unverified.
Hit the do not read button. It works. Also im not framing anything. Im speculating that they have had issues before. There is a difference. My two cents is that either the whole team was present when this went down, which is unlikely or because there is a history they leaned on that knowledge when deciding to walk out if Chase was allowed back in. I believe that im correct in my assumption that these two have had public arguments before.

In all fairness, isn’t most social media bizarre?

In all fairness, isn’t most social media bizarre?

Sure but most from what I've seen don't attempt to explain away potential physical abuse/assault as mere relationship "issues" without knowing any of the facts

Also im not framing anything. Im speculating that they have had issues before.

Rarely do you see a sentence directly contradicted by the one following it. Impressive. Speculating that the incident (again, we don't know what happened!) is just one of the "issues" of a relationship is framing it around your assumptions.

You keep calling it a "public argument." What are you talking about? Why are you doing that? Where are you getting that information? According to the news reports and the campus police filing, the incident occurred late at night at an off-campus apartment, believed to be where the alleged victim lives.

Ted Hust of Lax Factor tweeted this a.m. about continuing Scanlan saga.

Cuse players especially last year players should not have to endure this b.s in the final days of their career , admin should have left suspension in place . Number # 22 has been tainted and should be immediately retired.

Ted Hust of Lax Factor tweeted this a.m. about continuing Scanlan saga.

Cuse players especially last year players should not have to endure this b.s in the final days of their career , admin should have left suspension in place . Number # 22 has been tainted and should be immediately retired.

The Captains may be passing judgement before the investigations are complete. S U may have to reinstate him and let the boycott chips land where they may.

The Captains may be passing judgement before the investigations are complete. S U may have to reinstate him and let the boycott chips land where they may.

They could also have enough information on hand that allows them to reach an informed, educated opinion, about the actions of their teammate? Of course, nothing they do is official, and the University will still ultimately have to process the matter.

Well written article but the last paragraph or two is quite unfair to Desko who has understood and supported his players stance.. The decision to reinstate was not his but others, his pc mistake was not saying so .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom