Chaz Owens in Transfer Portal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Chaz Owens in Transfer Portal

This whole thing was bizarre. Chaz has no offers anywhere else, gets gifted a scholarship because of his Dad and then enters the portal. Did he really think he was going to play regular minutes here? Really curious if this was on his own choosing? There's no guarantee he gets a scholarship at the D2 level so I wonder if his dad was willing to pay his own way just for him to play somewhere even D3? But you pass up a free education at SU? Is this move worth it?
Meanwhile JB gets another opportunity to add an experienced college player for a team that has no players in next seasons JR year class, will he learn from his mistakes and take advantage?
Billy hinted on a radio interview during the season that he thought Chaz wanted to get some playing time so a move down a level (or two?) to be able to play seems like it would be something that Chaz wants to do.

Did Akok Akok find a new school yet? Believe he is one of the few left that SU had interest (that is at one time back in 2018-019).

Did Akok Akok find a new school yet? Believe he is one of the few left that SU had interest (that is at one time back in 2018-019).
I understand his list is West Virginia, Ohio State, Pitt and Georgetown, no SU.

Is it possible he kicked Chaz off the team just to mess with a few people on here?
I doubt JB would do that. Chaz probably knows he is not even going to get garbage minutes with six new recruits.

JBA may get some minutes if we do not find a backup center to replace Frank.

This whole thing was bizarre. Chaz has no offers anywhere else, gets gifted a scholarship because of his Dad and then enters the portal. Did he really think he was going to play regular minutes here? Really curious if this was on his own choosing? There's no guarantee he gets a scholarship at the D2 level so I wonder if his dad was willing to pay his own way just for him to play somewhere even D3? But you pass up a free education at SU? Is this move worth it?
Meanwhile JB gets another opportunity to add an experienced college player for a team that has no players in next seasons JR year class, will he learn from his mistakes and take advantage?

Depends. I think it comes down to great experience at SU, versus him getting the opportunity to play a lot at a lower level.

You're only in college once, and if you're a player like Chaz [who lacks pro prospects], then you have a limited window to play organized ball. So maybe he wants to play, despite his family loving the Syracuse program.

Could just be that Chaz is exploring his options and seeing what else is out there for him... and since we don’t have plans of being much too active in the portal (lets hope we get at least one guy for next year) that JB guaranteed his spot if he so chooses to come back.

I have no inside info on this, but JB is known to give his players ample amounts leeway and freedom to explore all their options and do what they feel is best for their life. Which as a player is fantastic, to play for somebody that supports you just as much (or more) as a person in your life than they do as a player...that relationship goes beyond a game of basketball...but at the same time to witness it as a fan, is well mostly frustrating!

Anyway I think Chaz explores the portal and ends up coming back for next year.

Unfortunately we are done for the year with regards to bringing in any new players. These are the last thralls of the JB years. It's a shame its come to this but I guess it was inevitable, most these situations don't end on high notes and this one will be no different. Hopefully this is the last year or two then the program can start to rebuild. If its not then we are in a real lot of trouble moving forward.

Anyone hear anything about Chaz finding a team? I'm wondering if he's coming back to fill that last scholarship spot. He's a nice guy and son of a SU legend, and I wish him nothing but the best, but personally I'd rather leave the last Cuse scholarship open for the sake of 2023 recruiting.

Anyone hear anything about Chaz finding a team? I'm wondering if he's coming back to fill that last scholarship spot. He's a nice guy and son of a SU legend, and I wish him nothing but the best, but personally I'd rather leave the last Cuse scholarship open for the sake of 2023 recruiting.
When a player enters the portal he gives up his guaranteed scholarship. The school has the option of giving a 1 year scholarship. Not likely to happen but it could. Time will tell.

When a player enters the portal he gives up his guaranteed scholarship. The school has the option of giving a 1 year scholarship. Not likely to happen but it could. Time will tell.
Yes, I know, but last year JB gave Bol his scholarship back after not finding a landing spot. Chaz is the son of a legend, and JB will have an extra scholarship for next year, so I believe there's a very good chance JB gives Chaz his scholarship back if he can't find a team.

I must be missing something, how can you transfer from a 4 year college to a junior college?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom