Chris Bell officially returning | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bell officially returning

We should just assume everyone is leaving at season's end and just recruit the entire team so if anyone who doesn't make an official decision to return if they stay on the fence they run the risk of getting replaced and forced into the portal.

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

Hypathetical: you want Bell back he wants to come back. You work out an NIL deal. Everybody seems happy you start recruiting the portal. How happy is Bell going to be if you pay say Leffew twice what you agreed to with Bell. Bell has the option to put his name into the portal at anytime.

This is not inside info, it’s pure speculation, food for thought. It’s just an example of the sort of landmine situation coaches are dealing with these days. It’s very easy from the outside looking in to say pay more but none of this is a simple equation.

We should just assume everyone is leaving at season's end and just recruit the entire team so if anyone who doesn't make an official decision to return if they stay on the fence they run the risk of getting replaced and forced into the portal.
I cannot understand this post at all. Not "I disagree with it", I don't understand it.

My sense is a lot of SU fans are scarred and cynical from transfer and early entry decisions not just since the NIL and free transfer kicked off but the last 8-9 years, which would be understandable.

I don't think we'll ever get back to the days where we can expect EVERYONE to stay for the duration of their eligibility as long as they aren't lottery picks. But hopefully Red and the athletic department and donor base are committed to building a culture where key pieces want to stay and play for each other and make money doing it. In my mind that's the ideal. If that doesn't happen I think we'll be in for more years where at least two significant pieces leave every spring and it becomes a matter of how agile the staff can be to replace them. Not that you can't win games that way too, but it would be less enjoyable.

I know as well as anyone that Chris has holes in his game. He can make 3 pointers and that's... pretty much it. But at this point, he's literally the only guy on the roster that can do that at a rate that you need in today's game. So I'll take it.

I cannot understand this post at all. Not "I disagree with it", I don't understand it.

My sense is a lot of SU fans are scarred and cynical from transfer and early entry decisions not just since the NIL and free transfer kicked off but the last 8-9 years, which would be understandable.

I don't think we'll ever get back to the days where we can expect EVERYONE to stay for the duration of their eligibility as long as they aren't lottery picks. But hopefully Red and the athletic department and donor base are committed to building a culture where key pieces want to stay and play for each other and make money doing it. In my mind that's the ideal. If that doesn't happen I think we'll be in for more years where at least two significant pieces leave every spring and it becomes a matter of how agile the staff can be to replace them. Not that you can't win games that way too, but it would be less enjoyable.
Ideally yes I would like a team with players that show growth and development over their college years. But that ship has sailed. The players are essentiallly professional athletes and bear in mind while teammates their NIL bags are related so am additional 100k for player A means less 100k for player B, this has to affect team chemistry.

There was another thread saying over 2000 players in the portal with 350 D1 schools that's over 50%. If half your team jumps into the portal each year and most likely those who jump are their best players (want a bigger bag) or the worst players (want more playing time) I don't think we can be the exception.

Mike must have made up the part about waiting til the last minute because I've read on here that the staff is building the entire team around Bell.

Mike isn’t making it up but he is making a non-decision sound like a decision, which is an odd choice but I won’t tell him how to do his job.

Mike isn’t making it up but he is making a non-decision sound like a decision, which is an odd choice but I won’t tell him how to do his job.

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill

didnt the portal close may 1st?

isnt every player not in the portal by now never going in the portal this season??

how is this news?

If that’s the case, then what was the coaching doing not bringing in another small forward? You can’t wait this long. A lot of small forwards have come and gone.
To be fair, they were, and still are, looking for shooters.

One other point I want to make is, these are kids, 19-22 years old. They can change their minds. Maliq was going to return, until he decided not to. If Chris Bell was on the fence, and now he decides to come back, as Mike reported he decided on the last day.

So what if by season's end two decides to jump into the portal, one will test NBA and may return, three are undecided and want to wait sox weeks to decide. Is Red supposed to sit and wait for them to decide or should Red go find a plan B in the portal? If he finds someone is Red supposed to tell that someone we are offering this package this NIL pending the decision of another player?

So the way I look at it those who decide to return may change their minds any time.

Those who are undecided Red will have to proceed as if they are not returning or he loses the opportunities of getting the best player possible in the portal.

Very delicate balance filling the spots based what's going on in 19YO kids' heads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom