Chris Bell.. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bell..

I just don't understand the logic of those that want Bell gone.

Outside shooting is bad on this team. He's shooting nearly 40% from three as the only legitimate outside threat (depending on how you view Starling, I guess). Normally we give a lot of forgiveness to guys that are the only shooting threats on their teams, even when their shooting percentages are worse than Bell's hit rate has been this season.

It's not crazy to think he'll get better, not just as a shooter, but as an all around player.

So we have people that think the right move is to part ways and guarantee we don't benefit from that improvement after all the investment in starts and minutes the program has made in him, and somehow make a better shooting roster by relying on freshmen and portal unknowns without the one guy we know can stick a three?

Y'all are nuts.
There are lots of guys in D1 basketball who can shoot. True, we only have one of them. That doesn’t mean that he’s the best player for this team’s situation. I don’t care for the attitude or lack of hustle or complete absence from every other possession.

Ten years of steady decline into irrelevance has broken people. It’s not crazy to think he stays exactly the same which we’ve seen a lot of lately. Not every player improves with time. If I’m HC at SU I’m not gambling my nascent career on Chris Bell “figuring it out”.

There are lots of guys in D1 basketball who can shoot. True, we only have one of them. That doesn’t mean that he’s the best player for this team’s situation. I don’t care for the attitude or lack of hustle or complete absence from every other possession.

Ten years of steady decline into irrelevance has broken people. It’s not crazy to think he stays exactly the same which we’ve seen a lot of lately. Not every player improves with time. If I’m HC at SU I’m not gambling my nascent career on Chris Bell “figuring it out”.
Bell has improved though. You're saying he's done. Your gamble is that he won't improve anymore but you can get someone better from the portal. Not knowing yet who will be in the portal and even reciprocate interest.

I mean it's just not the gamble I'd make. We'll see what Red decides to do.

Bell has improved though. You're saying he's done. Your gamble is that he won't improve anymore but you can get someone better from the portal. Not knowing yet who will be in the portal and even reciprocate interest.

I mean it's just not the gamble I'd make. We'll see what Red decides to do.
His immaturity is a real problem. He has got a bit better on defense and on the boards but he had no place to go but up. I don't know him. He might be worth saving but again, he might not. You just can't have a guy crying and moping on a winning team. During the UNC game, Red talked with him while he was on the bench. He didn't look at Red once.

Bell was winning me over the past couple weeks, but yesterday was a big step back. He never really was in it from the start. I think how finishes the season will determine whether or not he’s back. For whatever reason he has a hard time getting up for road games.

One thing i will give Q, he really cares. He is very active when he is on the bench cheering his teammates on.

Copeland is in a perfect role for his style of play. 1st or 2nd guy off the bench come in cause some chaos change the energy of the game get the crowd into etc perfect role and he can contribute and be apart of a winning team. If he understands and accepts his role he would thrive and the team would thrive My problem with Q is if he wants to start I just don’t think his style of play is suited for lead guard on a winning team

Bell needs a veteran mentor. The whole team does. Unfortunately, that person doesn't exist. Cripe, Benny was the elder on the team - he was leading, but not in the right direction, by all accounts.

The fellas are just too immature. The worst thing is, I don't think they see their own shortcomings. But... how can they watch game film of themselves whining about a no call while the rest of their teammates are playing 4 on 5 on the other end of the court and not be like, "I look like a fool" and start to improve? Instead, it (whining, blaming others) seems contagious.

Can veteran leadership come from the portal?
There’s never been a more immature team.

Bell needs a veteran mentor. The whole team does. Unfortunately, that person doesn't exist. Cripe, Benny was the elder on the team - he was leading, but not in the right direction, by all accounts.

The fellas are just too immature. The worst thing is, I don't think they see their own shortcomings. But... how can they watch game film of themselves whining about a no call while the rest of their teammates are playing 4 on 5 on the other end of the court and not be like, "I look like a fool" and start to improve? Instead, it (whining, blaming others) seems contagious.

I was of the belief that they were simply passionate for the first several games. Now, it just seems foolish.

His immaturity is a real problem. He has got a bit better on defense and on the boards but he had no place to go but up. I don't know him. He might be worth saving but again, he might not. You just can't have a guy crying and moping on a winning team. During the UNC game, Red talked with him while he was on the bench. He didn't look at Red once.
He had a blow up yesterday, but has it been much of a problem this season?

I don't know. I don't think you can count on it.

The venn diagram of guys that are great veteran players and guys in the portal seems like it would have small overlap, and that guy is probably a guy playing at a lower tier that wants to take a shot on a higher level of basketball.

I don't know. I don't think you can count on it.

The venn diagram of guys that are great veteran players and guys in the portal seems like it would have small overlap, and that guy is probably a guy playing at a lower tier that wants to take a shot on a higher level of basketball.
I think you are correct. I also think we have to hit the lottery in the portal. Not just for good players but leaders.

I think you are correct. I also think we have to hit the lottery in the portal. Not just for good players but leaders.
If we get a guy like Newton (UCONN) from the portal it would make this team a lot better.

Bell was winning me over the past couple weeks, but yesterday was a big step back. He never really was in it from the start. I think how finishes the season will determine whether or not he’s back. For whatever reason he has a hard time getting up for road games.
I posted high praise for him before the game and how he has me believing, these guys games are as stable as the women I date.

Last edited:
He comes across as a spoiled brat. He is an average basketball player at best. I'd show him the door.

I just don't understand the logic of those that want Bell gone.

Outside shooting is bad on this team. He's shooting nearly 40% from three as the only legitimate outside threat (depending on how you view Starling, I guess). Normally we give a lot of forgiveness to guys that are the only shooting threats on their teams, even when their shooting percentages are worse than Bell's hit rate has been this season.

It's not crazy to think he'll get better, not just as a shooter, but as an all around player.

So we have people that think the right move is to part ways and guarantee we don't benefit from that improvement after all the investment in starts and minutes the program has made in him, and somehow make a better shooting roster by relying on freshmen and portal unknowns without the one guy we know can stick a three?

Y'all are nuts.
I thought he was a pretty bad recruit in high school and did not like him after his freshman year. I've warmed up to him a little this season. The 3 point shooting has improved significantly and there's been just enough flashes elsewhere for me to be a little intrigued with his skillset.

I definitely feel like he has a larger role on our team than he ideally should have; we don't have anyone to push him to the bench but in an ideal world, he'd be a gunner off the bench IMO.

At any rate, I'll leave it to Red to determine if he's a culture fit here but I think we've had major talent issues in recent years and pushing out decent players to make room for more question marks probably won't help in that regard.

He’s also the one player outside of Maliq that brings any toughness to the team. If he could shoot the 3 at 35 percent he can be way more valuable than Bell.
Yes, if he turns a major weakness into a major strength that would change the quality of player he is a good amount lol. If Bell could play lockdown defense and rebound well, he'd way more valuable than Q.

Yes, if he turns a major weakness into a major strength that would change the quality of player he is a good amount lol. If Bell could play lockdown defense and rebound well, he'd way more valuable than Q.
And if I had a billion dollars, I’d be rich

Agree. We have a number of needs but the most acute one is for veteran leadership.

There is no one who can take over during key moments of the game and make good decisions.

Maliq could be someday but is so limited offensively at this point he really can't do it.

It is a shame because we had three seniors returning that all would have helped here greatly.

But Jesse, Joe and yes, even Symir are elsewhere, doing senior things for other programs.

If this was a experiment to see what would happen when you put a group of sophomores and a head case junior together with a first time head coach, it turns out this will yield disappointing results.

An veteran guard who can play good man defense and run the offense would be awesome.

A veteran forward who can defend/rebound/score would be great. It seems like forever since we had a guy who can do everything you want a forward to do. Donnie is going to be that guy but it would be nice to have a forward on the roster to help him.

A center who can rebound and play man defense would also be a god send.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom