Cincinnati Newspaper Says Replacements for SU and Pitt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cincinnati Newspaper Says Replacements for SU and Pitt

I sympathize with the conference - it did Syracuse University a lot of good over the years.

I want it to survive for that reason alone.

Also, I don't want Rutgers or UConn or Cincy or So. Fla in the ACC.

I believe that the ACC provides the Orange with a strong east coast presence - I'm not sure that the BE will do the same for Rutgers or UConn.

I feel that the ACC affords the Orange a recruiting advantage because of exposure, competition, money etc.

And, I don't really want a 16 team ACC.

So, those are my reasons.

I sympathize with the conference - it did Syracuse University a lot of good over the years.
I believe that the ACC provides the Orange with a strong east coast presence - I'm not sure that the BE will do the same for Rutgers or UConn.
I feel that the ACC affords the Orange a recruiting advantage because of exposure, competition, money etc.

THose reasons are not the same thing as what is "good for SU." The only one there that comes close is underlined. But there is no guarantee that a weak BE would hasten Buttgers, UConn, USF or Cincy to the ACC. And the fact that there would be no guarantees for them, would make them weaker, which would be good for SU.

Emotional sympathy and nostalgia is no reason to root for something that may be bad for Syracuse.

Again, the Big East surviving or not surviving has nothing to do with whether or not Rutgers or UConn get invites into the ACC.

If the Big East keeps the BCS bid, then that is a very easy road for Rutgers / UConn to get to a BCS game. Which is good exposure for Rutgers / UConn. Which is bad for Syracuse.

I think you're way off with your 'Go Big East!' mindset.

UCF and ECU, how exciting. The truly desperate and the needy. The mismanagement of a once great conference is sad. But if the BE remains in business, SU games may not be on TV in metro NYC after the move and that is my big concern now.

If ACC does expand with ND and UConn, the ACC would "own" NYC as much as a college conference can. The big fish here is ND and if they do join a conference, they have said they prefer the ACC. Who would be left for SNY to cover at least around NYC in college football that is still in the BigEast? Rutgers?? That's the only semi local team left. The BigEast will hardly be a North Eastern team centered around NYC for football. You will see the ACC on TV in NYC I would be shocked if that doesn't happen even without ND & UConn. With them I can't see how the ACC games wouldn't be all over NYC. SNY turning down a chance to show ND football? Never going to happen if they ever even get the chance.

Now the big question is, where will the BigEast BB play their Conf. Tourney? They have MSG for the next few years locked up but after that, the ACC could get MSG once every 3 years or so. MSG could alternate Conf Tourneys between the BigEast and the ACC. I have to think that MSG would rather have Duke/Cuse/UNC/UConn/ND/Maryland/etc. matchups than SJ vs 'Nova or Georgetown. Outside of those 3 BigEast BB teams who else really matters anymore if ND goes elsewhere? Although the BigEast BB will still be pretty good, the brand names of the ACC in BB is just much greater than what's left in the BigEast. Now on the football side, the BigEast is Conf. USA version II esp if WVU leaves to the Big12 or SEC. Stick a fork in BigEast football soon and very possibly their BCS bid. ECU. CFU, and the BigEast left overs are not carrying a BCS bid if WVU leaves. I just can't see it.

For the ACC, the key is to get ND obviously as #15 as everyone knows and has discussed.

As to where conference tourneys end up, there are soon to be 4 major venues in the NYC area. You already have Verizon Center (least attractive), Prudential Center (saw the sweet 16 games there this year and it is a very, very nice arena for hoops-unfortunately in Newark), MSG (everyone's top choice) and the Barclay's Center (future home of Brooklyn Nets).

You people dont get it. It is very important for the BE to rebuild so that RU and UConn stay in a less than perfect conference. We need the BE to make the ACC look that much better. I certainly hope that ECU, UCF, Temple, Memphis, Navy and Army join to get them to 12.
Very strategic thinking, professor.

Emotional sympathy and nostalgia is no reason to root for something that may be bad for Syracuse.

Again, the Big East surviving or not surviving has nothing to do with whether or not Rutgers or UConn get invites into the ACC.

If the Big East keeps the BCS bid, then that is a very easy road for Rutgers / UConn to get to a BCS game. Which is good exposure for Rutgers / UConn. Which is bad for Syracuse.

I don't think you understand.

If the BE fails, there is more of a chance that super conferences will evolve.

The greater number of truly viable BCS conferences, the less likely there will be consolidation.

And, the more likely Rutgers, UConn and others will stay in the BE and not end up in the ACC.

I am not worried about UConn or Rutgers getting easy passage to the BCS for a few reasons - one is that they will likely not get there and two is that even if they do, it will probably not be viewed as meaningful. See UConn in 2010.

Sorry, but I think you're way off.

THose reasons are not the same thing as what is "good for SU." The only one there that comes close is underlined. But there is no guarantee that a weak BE would hasten Buttgers, UConn, USF or Cincy to the ACC. And the fact that there would be no guarantees for them, would make them weaker, which would be good for SU.
Why do you want the BE to die?

Why is that "good for SU"?

I don't think you understand.

If the BE fails, there is more of a chance that super conferences will evolve.

The greater number of truly viable BCS conferences, the less likely there will be consolidation.

And, the more likely Rutgers, UConn and others will stay in the BE and not end up in the ACC.

I am not worried about UConn or Rutgers getting easy passage to the BCS for a few reasons - one is that they will likely not get there and two is that even if they do, it will probably not be viewed as meaningful. See UConn in 2010.

Sorry, but I think you're way off.

I understand perfectly.
"If the BE fails, there is more of a chance that super conferences will evolve. The greater number of truly viable BCS conferences, the less likely there will be consolidation."

I just think you're wrong about this. The evolution of the super conferences is completely independent from the success or failure of the Big East conference. There are only four truly viable BCS conferences. The other two are hanging by a thread and are powerless against the main four.

The super conferences will become reality when the Big Ten and Pac 12 want it to. At that point they will team up with the SEC and ACC to join a new college sports association and force Notre Dame's and Texas' hands. Then they will decide UConn's and Rutgers' fates, whether the Big East exists or not.

And I still say the national exposure of being in a BCS bowl game (even if they get blown out) is significant and valuable to a program. More so than sitting at home watching.

The bottom line: Syracuse University is much better off with UConn and Rutgers in the MAC than they are seeing them remain in a surviving BCS Big East.

As to where conference tourneys end up, there are soon to be 4 major venues in the NYC area. You already have Verizon Center (least attractive), Prudential Center (saw the sweet 16 games there this year and it is a very, very nice arena for hoops-unfortunately in Newark), MSG (everyone's top choice) and the Barclay's Center (future home of Brooklyn Nets).
Verizon Center is in Wash, DC. Is there another in the NYC metro area?

I understand perfectly.

I just think you're wrong about this. The evolution of the super conferences is completely independent from the success or failure of the Big East conference. There are only four truly viable BCS conferences. The other two are hanging by a thread and are powerless against the main four.

The super conferences will become reality when the Big Ten and Pac 12 want it to. At that point they will team up with the SEC and ACC to join a new college sports association and force Notre Dame's and Texas' hands. Then they will decide UConn's and Rutgers' fates, whether the Big East exists or not.

And I still say the national exposure of being in a BCS bowl game (even if they get blown out) is significant and valuable to a program. More so than sitting at home watching.

The bottom line: Syracuse University is much better off with UConn and Rutgers in the MAC than they are seeing them remain in a surviving BCS Big East.

Anything is possible.

But the notions you have advanced seem unlikely and illogical.

A strong and viable BE with a solid TV contract will not lose its automatic BCS bid and will not be the subject of consolidation.

And the notion that UConn and Rutgers will end up in the MAC - along with I gather, So. Fla, Cincy, Louisville and WVU - is highly unlikely - one cannot imagine that the politics of college athletics would allow that to occur.

It is more likely that UConn and Rutgers along with the others mentioned will end up in a super conference - something that would render SU's move the ACC less meaningful.

Most of the reports I've read today say that the major conferences are happy at their current standings, as far as members go. Maybe this will be the calm before the storm in the next 1-3 years before everything settles out and the BE is pretty much gone. A ton of rumors, but most conferences saying they're happy right now.

when do SU and Pitt get voting power in the ACC? wouldnt they want to make sure that maybe one but not both get into the ACC?

I agree that the BE surviving or not does not affect RU or UConn getting invites to the ACC.

...but I if the BE keeps the BCS bid and gives an easy road for Rutgers / UConn to get to a BCS game and they get clubbed like UConn and Cincy did the last two years...I'm not sure that it is great exposure and better for recruiting?...is it better than if we go to ACC and are in the middle of the pack or below? I guess that is the question.

it's hard to imagine Rutgers or UConn getting left out long-term, so at best, BE expansion buys us a year or two to take advantage of the situation for fball recruiting.

Mostly, it buys us two years of entertainment as we chuckle at UConn's humbling situation.

Mostly, it buys us two years of entertainment as we chuckle at UConn's humbling situation.

Eh, I really don't see what there is to be humbling about. It's not like they haven't been winning in everything the last couple of years.

Nice win tonight. Good teams find ways to win ugly. I don't know if anyone in the BE besides WVU is really any good, but it's a good characteristic to get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom