Class of 2017 Last Spots | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Last Spots

Wait! Only that big bad Jim Calhoun does that. JB would never, and I mean never, push someone out.
Some of those guys had bigger issues. But of all the things I could find fault in JAB for, this is probably one thing I don't really care about. College basketball at the high major level is stupidly competitive and, for such a high revenue sport, the roster is tiny. Boeheim does his best to find landing spots for those who agree to transfer out if a college degree is a goal.

It seems like that is what is going on. We are in a good spot with Ayala waiting on test scores and we jumped back in with Tucker. I agree Wright seems to be a 2018 kid since he states he's going to Brewster. We have to get Tucker for a visit and sign him. That gives us a starting SF which we don't have. If we get Tucker and Ayala then I would think with the 2018 class in mind we get a grad transfer guard. That would give us 3 spots for 2018 and 4 if Howard doesn't want to stick around behind a grad transfer again.

I've said it before, but I recall hearing/reading Ayala scheduled SAT and ACT in Jan/Feb - he has his scores, if that's the case. Could be more to the decision than testing / grades.

I've said it before, but I recall hearing/reading Ayala scheduled SAT and ACT in Jan/Feb - he has his scores, if that's the case. Could be more to the decision than testing / grades.

I think there is more to the decision. I don't think we locked him up by any means but we are still recruiting him and supposedly in good shape.

From mid-February:
"He remains undecided on whether he will reclass to 2017 or remain in ’18. He has already taken the SAT and the ACT, and is awaiting his ACT scores."

Not sure when he took those tests, or when the results are in, but I would assume he has them or will very shortly.

From mid-February:
"He remains undecided on whether he will reclass to 2017 or remain in ’18. He has already taken the SAT and the ACT, and is awaiting his ACT scores."

Not sure when he took those tests, or when the results are in, but I would assume he has them or will very shortly.
I'd assume he would have that result in by now or any time. If he does it may just be making the decision or he may want to wait or decide his fate when he gets cleared. I think we are the clear favorite though.

From mid-February:

I wonder if it is core course related--not implying that he doesn't have enough, but that everyone involved might be doing due diligence evaluating that he checks each of the boxes if he classifies back to 2017, foregoing having an extra year to ensure that all required coursework is covered.

I personally would rather go with the 5th year PG and go hard after Jahvon Quinerly especially if Boeheim is going to be out recruiting again.

Quinerly has publicly stated he doesn't like the prospect of playing zone.

Fine - we'll do a box-and-1. He can be the 1. ;)
Or, we can devise a new "special" defense where each defender is responsible for playing man-to-man defense within a certain area of the floor instead of playing one guy. It is far more difficult and requires much more skill, as the defender is expected to guard players of all sizes that enter his particular space on the floor. It is not for everyone, it is only for your highly skilled and evolved basketball player.

If we are feeling urgency, wouldn't it make more sense to go the grad transfer route again to get developed players with college experience?

It's possible that Wright could reclassify, but he says he's "almost certainly attending Brewster" so I'll take him at his word. He's a great prospect, but if he feels like he needs another year of development in high school, I'm not sure how much value he'd contribute to Syracuse in 2017 anyway. If he wanted to come to Syracuse and redshirt in 2017 that could be interesting since he'd have more access to better facilities and training, but I doubt a prospect of his caliber would be willing to do that. Still, I hope we remain in the mix for him in 2018.

I'd much rather see the staff focus 100% on Ayala and Tucker for the 2017 class. If we get both, then go after one grad transfer. If we only get one of the two, then go after two grad transfers. If we don't get either then we either turn towards someone like Duarte or Dolezaj or else we really hit the grad transfer market to fill out the roster. I'm not sure why people seem reluctant towards adding grad transfers. It's proven to be successful at Syracuse and other school. So long as the staff sees Syracuse caliber talent on the grad transfer market, I'd much rather go that route for a one year commitment than go for freshman who are mostly getting mid-major offers.
I agree regarding Ayala and Tucker. I also think we need to keep pushing on Wright to reclassify. I don't like our chances of getting him after Brewster. If he is in '18 I think he ends up at another school (UK/Duke) similar to Green. Just a feeling. If Ayala reclassifies and comes I don't think we need a 5th point guard because we would have Battle/Ayala/Howard which should get us by with Washington not really playing. I don't like it but I don't think we can have that many guards with the amount of 4/5 we have. If Howard were to leave we could go get a 5th year PG to replace him. I would like to have Wright and Tucker both come and share the 3. Someone set me straight if I'm totally off on this.

Do we really want three more freshman? That would be six freshmen and a redshirted Moyer, that is not a lot of roster flexibility going forward. Also do people think Wright can play the wing?
YES!!!! Bring in was much talent as possible, at the worst some of them are 4year players who will develop.

11 spots. 3 openings.

In a perfect world, if there is only room for 11 players, I think you break it down as follows:

2 centers
2 power forwards
2 small forwards
2 shooting guards
2 point guards

plus one more player, preferably a wing who can play guard and small forward.

I would break down the players we have today as follows:

2 centers (Chukwu and Sidbie)
2 power forwards (TT, MM and OB)
2 small forwards (none)
2 shooting guards (HW)
2 point guards (FH)
TB as the swingman

So the roster is horribly balanced. Losing TL was in a way, a blessing, because it opened a slot for a guard that was going to be taken by a PF/C.

We need 2 SFs, a SG and a PG but can't get them all because we have to many power forward types on the roster.

So I think with Battle able to play SG and presumably SF, I think we take two SFs and a PG. If one of the SFs can also play SG, all the better.

Tucker is desperately needed to fill a SF slot.
Ayala would be huge for the PG spot. Both would probably start from day one.

Another SF would be great...if we get one, I would guess he will be a grad transfer or a foreign dude.

If no Ayala, then we try more unlikely class of 2017 options or get a grad transfer at PG.

How long has it been since we had more than 3 serviceable guards in the program? Could we really go another year like this again?

Sure hope not.

11 spots. 3 openings.

In a perfect world, if there is only room for 11 players, I think you break it down as follows:

2 centers
2 power forwards
2 small forwards
2 shooting guards
2 point guards

2 small forwards (none)
2 shooting guards (HW)
2 point guards (FH)
TB as the swingman

So the roster is horribly balanced. Losing TL was in a way, a blessing, because it opened a slot for a guard that was going to be taken by a PF/C.

We need 2 SFs, a SG and a PG but can't get them all because we have to many power forward types on the roster.

So I think with Battle able to play SG and presumably SF, I think we take two SFs and a PG. If one of the SFs can also play SG, all the better.

Another SF would be great...if we get one, I would guess he will be a grad transfer or a foreign dude.

If no Ayala, then we try more unlikely class of 2017 options or get a grad transfer at PG.

How long has it been since we had more than 3 serviceable guards in the program? Could we really go another year like this again?

Sure hope not.
This is exactly what I was thinking just you were more organized than my rambling post. Thanks tomcat.

11 spots. 3 openings.

2 centers
2 power forwards
2 small forwards
2 shooting guards
2 point guards

2 small forwards (none)
2 shooting guards (HW)
2 point guards (FH)
TB as the swingman

Sure hope not.

Great post, Tomcat.

I'll add that those lines can blur, because we often have players who can slide into more than one of those traditional positional roles. I.E., power forwards who can play center in our system a la Lydon, wings who can be either shooting guards or small forwards, forwards who have versatility a la CJ Fair and Southerland, who don't fit cleanly into either position in a traditional sense, etc.

So I don't know that we need to establish the positions so rigidly in constructing the roster. The key for me is whether the personnel on hand can adequately FILL the various roles. And as you state, right now we don't have a true 3 [although Battle COULD play there in a pinch], we might not have a point guard capable of starting [unless Howard bounces back in a big way, or unless Washington is more ready to contribute than expected].

We land Tucker / Ayala, and this is a HUGE bounce back for the staff, rounding out a top 25 caliber class. This would then be an important foundational class that replenishes depth and puts a bunch of much needed program guys back into our base. But there's no superstar [barring Ayala or Tucker emerging as a high major contributor, which admittedly could happen] in the bunch -- which fuels my belief that we only go as far next year as Battle / Thompson take us. Here's hoping both make the proverbial sophomore jump, which definitely isn't outside of the realm of possibility. If Thompson returns as an improved rebounder who doesn't treat defense as optional, and Battle becomes the go to guy who fuels our offensive attack while establishing himself as a lottery pick -- again, both of which could easily happen -- then we might be onto something, and be much better than most will project next season.

Will also be interesting to see who [if anybody] might be out there as a fifth year transfer candidate. Would love to see us land that SF from Rice [just for example], as an experienced guy who could step in at the 3 and start immediately, and provide us with a consistent shooting / scoring threat who can serve as the third consistent scorer behind Battle and Thompson.

If THAT happens, this will turn into a very, very good class. Far cry from what it seemed when we only had two recruits to flesh out a five person class.

Last edited:
We need wings, scorers, shooters and ball handlers. The only player I'm comfortable seeing big minutes is Tyus. I don't want Frank playing a lot nor handling the ball. I doubt we'll see Washington play much. We need guys that can handle the ball, create and score. We're losing so much outside shooting this year and need to find capable replacements.

Tucker is perfect. Ayala would be another great pickup. And then a PG type that can shoot would round out the roster perfectly. But we need to replace AW3 with a player that can produce on that level from time to time.

Syracuse mentioned as logical landing spot based on PT. Let's see what happens!

Where did he play last year. Anywhere we would have a connection with?

Where did he play last year. Anywhere we would have a connection with?

Yep. Brewster Academy (Taurean and before that CJ) and his first school was Cushing (Kaleb).

Cushing Academy. We have a connection but not a good one...Kaleb Joseph:(

LOL. So he's from Uconn's area but but finally decided he couldn't go there.

Yep. Brewster Academy (Taurean and before that CJ) and his first school was Cushing (Kaleb).
Did he play at Cushing or Brewster last year? I thought he was at Cushing

I have to wonder if we will get involved, it seems like the info lately is that we are happy trying to snag Ayala and roll with Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom