Class of 2017 Last Spots | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Last Spots

cuseinseattle

All American
Thinking about Jordan Tucker got me thinking about how we can fill out our class. My hope is:

Jordan Tucker (only going against G Tech according to Francis)

Eric Ayala (would be great if he could reclassify)

5th year PG

I personally would rather go with the 5th year PG and go hard after Jahvon Quinerly especially if Boeheim is going to be out recruiting again. I don't view Waters as realistic and also don't think it is realistic to expect to get him and Ayala. I would prefer Ayala. We could have a 5th year PG and Battle starting with Ayala spelling both of them as our 3 guard rotation with Washington learning and playing very little like MCW in year 1. Then if we can get Quinerly we have a PG and Ayala can be the 2. If for some reason we can't get an elite point guard we would still have Ayala who I think could play the point and Howard Washington the following year. I think Jordan Tucker would be an unbelievable get.

Whose the 5th year you got in mind?
I was more speaking philosophically than specifically about one guy. I need to spend more time going through the names. Off the top of my head Elijah Brown or Geno Thorpe.

If not Ayala maybe Waters/Duarte? What is the deal with Duarte's recruitment I really like his game.

Thinking about Jordan Tucker got me thinking about how we can fill out our class. My hope is:

5th year PG

I personally would rather go with the 5th year PG and go hard after Jahvon Quinerly especially if Boeheim is going to be out recruiting again. I don't view Waters as realistic and also don't think it is realistic to expect to get him and Ayala. I would prefer Ayala. We could have a 5th year PG and Battle starting with Ayala spelling both of them as our 3 guard rotation with Washington learning and playing very little like MCW in year 1. Then if we can get Quinerly we have a PG and Ayala can be the 2. If for some reason we can't get an elite point guard we would still have Ayala who I think could play the point and Howard Washington the following year. I think Jordan Tucker would be an unbelievable get.

Yep. With a reclassified Wright if it looks like Tucker won't happen. 11th spot will almost definitely be a fifth year guy. Otherwise we will have only one open 'ship for 2018. Yes, I know that things always work out and that Battle and Thompson will leave early and someone else will be shown the door but with 10 underclassmen a grad transfer seems the best bet.

Yep. With a reclassified Wright if it looks like Tucker won't happen. 11th spot will almost definitely be a fifth year guy. Otherwise we will have only one open 'ship for 2018. Yes, I know that things always work out and that Battle and Thompson will leave early and someone else will be shown the door but with 10 underclassmen a grad transfer seems the best bet.
A grad transfer would also add an experienced college player to a large group of freshmen and sophomores.

I also don't think guys like Sidibe, Washington, Chukwu and maybe Brissett will necessarily be able to contribute impactful minutes next year. We need quality depth that will help the roster next year, not necessarily 2-3 years from now.

Yeah, Duartes offers don't make sense when you look at his talent.

I mentioned this before in another thread, but I'll mention it again here since it seems more applicable.

We have Frank, Howard, Tyus, Matt, Taurean, O'Shae, Paschal, and Bourama as eight players on scholarship for next season. That leaves three spots left to fill for the upcoming season.

But if we look ahead to the 2018 class, we currently only have one guaranteed scholarship to offer because the sanctions will be reduced from losing two to losing just one for the 2018-19 season. There's also a good chance Tyus Battle makes the leap to the NBA, so let's assume that happens and we have two scholarships for the 2018 class.

Now looking back to our 2017 class, we can have any of the following scenarios to fill out our roster for next year:
A. 3 freshman
B. 2 freshman and a grad transfer
C. 1 freshman and 2 grad transfers
D. 3 grad transfers.

In scenario A, we only have 2 scholarships to give out in the 2018 class. In scenario B, we have 3 scholarships for 2018, in scenario C we have 4 scholarships for 2018, and in scenario D we have 5 scholarships in 2018.

Four of our players are already freshman (counting Moyer). Getting 3 more freshman not only limits us in 2018 recruiting, but would also tie down the size of our classes moving forward having seven players in one class. If we can get Tucker and Ayala, I'm fine with scenario B, or if we can only get one of them I'm fine with scenario C. But given the options available outside of these two players, I'm not sure if it's worth giving out scholarships to freshman if it's going to cost us going after guys in 2018. I mean, Waters, Dolezaj, and Duarte are options, but are they realistic and worth taking spots from 2018 prospects?

I mentioned this before in another thread, but I'll mention it again here since it seems more applicable.

We have Frank, Howard, Tyus, Matt, Taurean, O'Shae, Paschal, and Bourama as eight players on scholarship for next season. That leaves three spots left to fill for the upcoming season.

But if we look ahead to the 2018 class, we currently only have one guaranteed scholarship to offer because the sanctions will be reduced from losing two to losing just one for the 2018-19 season. There's also a good chance Tyus Battle makes the leap to the NBA, so let's assume that happens and we have two scholarships for the 2018 class.

Now looking back to our 2017 class, we can have any of the following scenarios to fill out our roster for next year:
A. 3 freshman
D. 3 grad transfers.

In scenario A, we only have 2 scholarships to give out in the 2018 class. In scenario B, we have 3 scholarships for 2018, in scenario C we have 4 scholarships for 2018, and in scenario D we have 5 scholarships in 2018.

Four of our players are already freshman (counting Moyer). Getting 3 more freshman not only limits us in 2018 recruiting, but would also tie down the size of our classes moving forward having seven players in one class. If we can get Tucker and Ayala, I'm fine with scenario B, or if we can only get one of them I'm fine with scenario C. But given the options available outside of these two players, I'm not sure if it's worth giving out scholarships to freshman if it's going to cost us going after guys in 2018. I mean, Waters, Dolezaj, and Duarte are options, but are they realistic and worth taking spots from 2018 prospects?
Does anyone know if Frank Howard might be on track to graduate next year? Because, obviously we are targeting Quinerly as our PG in the class of 2018. I can't imagine having Frank Howard, Ayala (hopefully), Howard Washington AND Frank Howard on the roster. So, something would have to give there, right?

Does anyone know if Frank Howard might be on track to graduate next year? Because, obviously we are targeting Quinerly as our PG in the class of 2018. I can't imagine having Frank Howard, Ayala (hopefully), Howard Washington AND Frank Howard on the roster. So, something would have to give there, right?

According to the Quinerly thread, that is not the case.

According to the Quinerly thread, that is not the case.
Ok, maybe that was Hop's direction. I have no clue. But, it would appear that the staff is focusing on finishing 2017 strong before hitting 2018 hard. Although, I hope that is not the case, because while we are working 2017, others are working 2018 hard.

A. 3 freshman
D. 3 grad transfers.

B or C are the only options I'd be interested in.

B. Ayala and Wright/Tucker + Grad transfer shooter or PG
C. Wright/Tucker and 2 Grad transfers - PG and Shooter

A is not appealing unless it is Ayala/Wright/Tucker, or some combination with top 100 guards getting their releases, and even that kind of hinders our recruiting for 2018. We don't need developmental players; we need kids that will play next year and can score.

D is not appealing because it means we'd miss out on the 3 2017 kids I just mentioned, and would also require a monster 2018 class.

I like the idea of B if it's right combo of freshmen, or C to make sure we have enough starter quality players for this season.

5th year PG

If we get Ayala, we can dump FH, then with Battle leaving, replace him with Quinerly.

If we've learned anything it should probably be a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

JB's been killed here for the guys who had interest who he didn't take, oftentimes for considerations like this. If next year's guy is ready to commit orally now take him if not take the best guys we can get now.

5th year PG

I think that would be about best case scenario. Tucker would step in as an immediate starter and fill a huge void on our roster at the 3.

Ayala would be an important backcourt add -- either playing as a combo alongside Battle, or backing up both guard spots if Howard somehow rounds into form as the starter. Ayala / Washington providing better backcourt depth than we've had in a long time.

Third slot either to a 5th year transfer PG [if Boeheim isn't confident in Howard] or wing.

Any evidence we have a shot at Waters?

Give me option A with Ayala, Wright, and Tucker. Those are 3 top 100 guys. You are all crazy for worrying about 2018. We need the bodies now and you don't turn down top 100 recruits because we may get someone better next year. A class of Sidibe, Brissett, Washington, Wright, Tucker, Ayala would be one of the best hauls we've ever had.

Option A all day.

5th year PG

If you decide to take a 5th year point, do you cut Howard loose? His rumored conduct but also his play this year doesn't exactly give me hope that he can coexist with another guy competing for minutes at that position. I'm just really sick of the drama.

If you decide to take a 5th year point, do you cut Howard loose? His rumored conduct but also his play this year doesn't exactly give me hope that he can coexist with another guy competing for minutes at that position. I'm just really sick of the drama.
I view it as we either keep Howard or go the 5th year route.

White and Gillon were good for us, but I don't love the idea of grabbing 5th year players. I'd rather take highschool players with upside even if it means a lump or two short term.

Do we really want three more freshman? That would be six freshmen and a redshirted Moyer, that is not a lot of roster flexibility going forward. Also do people think Wright can play the wing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom