Class of 2017 Last Spots | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Last Spots

Hey, just saying.
I know, I'm not calling you out, but it's funny how kid's opinions change once they start looking at things from a more business stand point and not as a fan. We have been on the wrong side of many of these kinds of things. It would be nice to be on the good side.

No, went from Cushing to Brewster. Big UConn fan growing up. Not sure he'd want to even come to SU. Probably grew up hating us.
I guess UConn wasn't his dream school

Weird class, lots of guys waiting till the end and lots of decommits. I think we may see things trend this way more and more. With all the turnover you get with rosters now days players may prefer to keep their options open longer.
I certainly see this - especially with grad transfers being more and more common now.

So to recap (11 available scholarships, 8 spoken for):
PG: Frank Howard, Howard Washington
SG: Tyus Battle
SF: Brissett
PF: Thompson, Moyer
C: Chukwu, Sidibe

Potential additions (3, possibly saving 1 for 2018 with only Battle likely to leave early):
Geno Thorpe (PG grad transfer)
Jordan Tucker (50/50)
Eric Ayala (less than 25% and dropping daily it seems)
Marek Dolezaj (SF foreign project)

That's not a good looking list. Although, not many of the grad transfers have already committed to, or even visited, a top-tier school (so far only a handful have), but I'm not sure if that means that the pickings are generally slim or that the good ones are still weighing their options (Andrew White didn't even announce to transfer until June).

JB really needs to figure this stuff out fast or the program is going to be in serious trouble. I mean come on, we were in the Final Four two years ago and now we can't get guys in our backyard like Tucker to commit? I don't know man, have to seriously start to question JB at the helm. The game passes everyone by at sometime.

JB really needs to figure this stuff out fast or the program is going to be in serious trouble. I mean come on, we were in the Final Four two years ago and now we can't get guys in our backyard like Tucker to commit? I don't know man, have to seriously start to question JB at the helm. The game passes everyone by at sometime.
You have a liberal definition of "backyard".

So to recap (11 available scholarships, 8 spoken for):
PG: Frank Howard, Howard Washington
SG: Tyus Battle
SF: Brissett
PF: Thompson, Moyer
C: Chukwu, Sidibe

Potential additions (3, possibly saving 1 for 2018 with only Battle likely to leave early):
Geno Thorpe (PG grad transfer)
Jordan Tucker (50/50)
Eric Ayala (less than 25% and dropping daily it seems)
Marek Dolezaj (SF foreign project)

That's not a good looking list. Although, not many of the grad transfers have already committed to, or even visited, a top-tier school (so far only a handful have), but I'm not sure if that means that the pickings are generally slim or that the good ones are still weighing their options (Andrew White didn't even announce to transfer until June).

Nice summary, fly rodder.

I'd feel a lot better if we could land Thorpe. He's a proven scorer / play maker, and it is difficult to envision him being as poor defensively as Gillon and Howard were last year.

Hope we land Tucker, would be okay with Dolezaj [although I wouldn't expect him to be ready to play heavy minutes his first year, but I like his long-term potential]. If we don't land Tucker, we really need to hope that Brissett can be a consistent shooter next season.

You have a liberal definition of "backyard".
I mean I know he transferred to a school in Georgia but for his whole life Tucker grew up 4 hours away from Syracuse. In the grand scheme of college recruiting that is in your backyard.

I mean I know he transferred to a school in Georgia but for his whole life Tucker grew up 4 hours away from Syracuse. In the grand scheme of college recruiting that is in your backyard.
I think that would effect whether he grew up a fan or not, but proximity is largely a benefit for convenience of family to see you play. In this case, not a plus for us.

I think that would effect whether he grew up a fan or not, but proximity is largely a benefit for convenience of family to see you play. In this case, not a plus for us.
His whole family moved down to Georgia? I thought he was at a prep there.

By bumping this thread, I was hoping to move some of the generic recruiting chatter to here and hopefully give the mods a break from policing the individual recruit threads where there are tangents everywhere.

Not sure that it worked.

Here's a good piece on Thorpe from past season - seems like a good kid and would fit in with Cuse if it comes down to this -
I've liked guards named Thorpe, ever since White Shadow. If we can get a 3 named Salami, I wouldn't care if we won any games.

Nice summary, fly rodder.

I'd feel a lot better if we could land Thorpe. He's a proven scorer / play maker, and it is difficult to envision him being as poor defensively as Gillon and Howard were last year.

Hope we land Tucker, would be okay with Dolezaj [although I wouldn't expect him to be ready to play heavy minutes his first year, but I like his long-term potential]. If we don't land Tucker, we really need to hope that Brissett can be a consistent shooter next season.

Is Thorpe really a playmaker/PG? Thought he was forced into it the last half of the season last year when their PG quit (or whatever happened)

Is Thorpe really a playmaker/PG? Thought he was forced into it the last half of the season last year when their PG quit (or whatever happened)
I think it depends on your definition of playmaker. From what I understand Thorpe is someone that can create shots for himself and score, but isn't necessarily a great passer who is going to create shots for others. In SU's freewheeling offense, I think they need someone who can direct an offense on the floor, so Thorpe might not be the best fit. However, unless you care to name names (which I don't suspect you do), I don't know who else the staff might be interested in. Not much smoke out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom