Class of 2025 - Class of 2025 Recruiting Discussion | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 Class of 2025 Recruiting Discussion

I understand if some are disappointed.

We have been in the final 3 or 4 for a bunch of 4 star recruits and missed out on them. If your sole focus is getting 4 star recruits, we didn't do well.

But the class is rated 31st in the country. That is amazing for this program at this point, so early in Coach Fran's tenure as the SU HC. It is enormous.

While there are a couple of players with only a handful of BCS offers, there are way fewer than in the past. The height, weight and speed of the players we are adding is vastly better than what we have been getting PFB (pre Fran Brown).

I have lost count on the number but I think we have like 7 or 8 guys in this class who run sub 11 seconds in the 100 meters.

We have a quarterback who has size, is really athletic, has a strong arm and has dominated at the HS level. And another who is even more athletic and dynamic, that was just voted the player of the year in NYS.

The haul of OL in the 2025 class is almost unfathomable to me. We have struggled so much to get even one decent OT in a class for decades. Getting 5 or 6, who all have multiple P5 offers, great size and clear athletic ability, is just amazing.

We have had similar issues getting DL, especially DTs to come to Syracuse. For decades. The DEs we have gotten are almost always really LBs we need to grow into DEs, and the DTs we get are really slower DEs that we hope will eventually grow into DTs. The players on the DL we got in this class are vastly better than any class we have gotten in at least 25 years. It is amazing.

The DBs are notably bigger and faster than we have gotten for decades. We only got one LB but looking at his film, he is an amazing prospect.

I really like the WRs we have brought in. No smurphs, all of them are uber athletic and very fast.

The TEs have the length and athletic ability we have needed and gone without for decades (I won't count Villari and OG here , as neither was brought in as a TE). They both need some work in the weight room and I get wanting TEs who are closer to being ready to play right away, but I like both our guys potential a lot.

At RB, I get being disappointed. Both guys we are bringing in did not have a lot of prestigious offers. Our staff sees something in them most other staffs do not. Bottom line is, we offered these kids very early. The staff believes in them and I think we should believe in the staff's ability to evaluate players until performance on the field proves otherwise.

When Coach Mac turned around the program, he did it by vastly upgrading the DL and OL first. I think in football, the game is almost always won by the team that dominates play at the line. For the first time in a long time, I think we have a chance to hold our own or even beat most ACC programs on the line of scrimmage. IMHO, this class was a huge step towards that goal.

I'll also add that there are 6 months [or so] before rankings / star ratings get locked in. Guys who are unevaluated now might end up looking like solid recruits in November. Some prospects who are 3-stars now might bump up to 4-stars.

So a class of players that doesn't seem impressive now might look a lot different in a couple of months.

That's why paying attention to only one indicator generally doesn't tell the full picture at our level. Star ratings, class ranking, P5 offers, etc. all have to be taken into consideration.

What I'm primarily paying attention to at this point is the measureables -- height, weight, speed, etc. for their position -- and the offer lists of guys we're competing against.

Fran Brown seems to have a type. Enormous OL, height at CB / in the secondary, and speed speed speed. So no doubt, they are taking some risks to fill that.

But on the other hand, we're getting some grown a$$ men in both trenches, and we've added elite speed. If and when we have a big year in 2024, you'll see an uptick with this staff of recruiters. But I think from this thread that those selling the class short are premature.

Last edited:
I do not see Fran pulling offers.
Don't keep up your academics, have a bad season, do something bad off the field? He's definitely pulling those offers.

It's a business now more than ever and all we've heard from everyone that knows Fran is he's honest and straight up with everyone.

We might see some things that look ruthless or some interviews that paint him in a bad light, but Fran is as authentic as they come.

Don't keep up your academics, have a bad season, do something bad off the field? He's definitely pulling those offers.

It's a business now more than ever and all we've heard from everyone that knows Fran is he's honest and straight up with everyone.

We might see some things that look ruthless or some interviews that paint him in a bad light, but Fran is as authentic as they come.
Exactly. We already saw two guys gone for grades. It's good that once you commit you're already held to the Fran Brown standard.

Written offers usually go out on August 1st. It will be interesting to see if all our verbal commitments receive one.
I think all the offers the staff has made are conditional. Two kids have already lost their offers when they did not meet the conditions they needed to (presumably related to how they finished their junior year of HS).

The rest might be okay but I would not be surprised if there is a kid or two who is taking summer school classes to make the needed academic progress to be eligible for college ball. If they don't get it done, they could get their offers pulled.

And as bnoro says, Coach Fran will surely pull the offers of kids who get involved with bad things off the field.

Hopefully the kids are all high character kids and will set on the straight and narrow. But Coach Fran wouldn't have offered the two kids that got dropped unless he had some tolerance for kids at risk for academic or off the field problems. When you recruit so many kids from the inner city, with all the disadvantages and adversity most have to overcome, you are going to have to take on more risk than schools that focus on recruiting players from say catholic schools in NJ and prep schools in New England.

1000002853.jpg

When you look at the OL / DT / DE size upgrades from the class of 2024, the 2024 portal transfers, and the class of 2025 -- holy schlitt.

Now, I'm not suggesting they are all going to see the field, but we got ENORMOUS on both lines. Which is going to be key for a program like ours -- need to enhance our capacity to compete up front, in the trenches, on both sides -- and profit will ensue.

When you look at the OL / DT / DE size upgrades from the class of 2024, the 2024 portal transfers, and the class of 2025 -- holy schlitt.

Now, I'm not suggesting they are all going to see the field, but we got ENORMOUS on both lines. Which is going to be key for a program like ours -- need to enhance our capacity to compete up front, in the trenches, on both sides -- and profit will ensue.
I dont think that there is any doubt this is the best class we have had in over 20 years.

That was last year's class. This one isn't at the same level at this time
I like what they're doing in 2025 and there's a lot of quality in this class, but again overstating things doesn't help us.

Top 250 kids in the 2024 class:

Jamie Tremble - 247
Emmanuel Ross - On3
Yasin Willis - Rivals
Marcellus Barnes - On3
KingJoseph Edwards - ESPN

Top 250 kids in the 2025 class:

Orange Auction GIF by Ritchie Bros.

I like what they're doing in 2025 and there's a lot of quality in this class, but again overstating things doesn't help us.

Top 250 kids in the 2024 class:

Jamie Tremble - 247
Emmanuel Ross - On3
Yasin Willis - Rivals
Marcellus Barnes - On3
KingJoseph Edwards - ESPN

Top 250 kids in the 2025 class:

Orange Auction GIF by Ritchie Bros.
Yeah, there haven't been many big names so far. But Most of those above came during the winter, and there is still a lot more time. Put some wins on the table, and then the staff will have proof that their philosophy works.

What I find funny is you have probably 3 of the best recruiters in the country on this staff and people still think we could recruit better, it’s actually strange Only way recruiting gets better is if Fran wins games. Nobody in the country would be doing what Fran is and has done to date. Biggest question mark is can he be a HC?

What I find funny is you have probably 3 of the best recruiters in the country on this staff and people still think we could recruit better, it’s actually strange Only way recruiting gets better is if Fran wins games. Nobody in the country would be doing what Fran is and has done to date. Biggest question mark is can he be a HC?
I haven't seen anyone in this thread insinuate anything about the staffs ability to recruit. Everyone is just sharing observations of the class which is the subject of the conversation. Some people just have different perspectives (there's obviously some Orange tinted glasses on this site as always). A lot of folks tend to get defensive when information is presented which appears to be making a point when in fact it's just information. That is what's actually strange. Cognitive dissonance and all that.

I dont think that there is any doubt this is the best class we have had in over 20 years.
I agree. No matter the coach, we always have trouble finding offensive and defensive linemen. The 2025 class has both in spades! I’m very excited to see what this group does in the next few years.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread insinuate anything about the staffs ability to recruit. Everyone is just sharing observations of the class which is the subject of the conversation. Some people just have different perspectives (there's obviously some Orange tinted glasses on this site as always). A lot of folks tend to get defensive when information is presented which appears to be making a point when in fact it's just information. That is what's actually strange. Cognitive dissonance and all that.

No dissonance from me, I just think / believe that it is premature to get worked up about class rankings at this point.

No different than Fran Brown getting rated as the worst coach in the ACC in a poll last week. Not worth getting worked up over that, either. He's either going to win games and disprove that perspective, or he'll struggle and show that the concerns were valid. Time will tell.

But that poll doesn't mean that he's actually the worst coach in the ACC -- it's just speculation, he's unproven, and he's making the jump from position coach to HC without ever having even been a coordinator -- so I get the skepticism.

And a rating of our class in July doesn't mean that's what the players will be ranked in November / December, after they get reevaluated. But that said, it can't be disputed that none of these guys is in the top 250 / flirting with 5-star status -- no argument there.

Well we can recruit better, they did it just last year lol.

What's funny is we still have this self-deprecating opinion around here that we can never expect better than the current state. Ever. That's what I find funny.

This thread here should be a shining example of exactly what I'm talking about.

I'll continue to stay consistent here. The rankings don't matter.
They matter to a degree. But there is practically no difference in the 247 rankings with Stanford at #8 with an 87.12 average recruit and Cuse at #16 with a 86.02 avg recruit. And we know darn well some signings of certain schools get a little bump when they sign with them just because of perception. So our average is not much of a concern. But it would be nice if we can get a few higher end signings before finishing this class out. A handful of that level of recruits can make a bit of a difference in a class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom