Clayton. Welch. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Clayton. Welch.

Welch showed basic instincts on when to step up in the pocket, when to tuck and run, when to step out to buy more time. Really basic stuff but it felt like a revelation because tommy just doesn’t have that instinct. And he goes down with the slightest contact. This convinced me that tommy is not the answer even when he gets healthy. You can’t depend on a perfect pocket unless you’re bama.

unfortunately Welch is not a very good passer.

man this off-season in the JUCO/transfer market is going to be critical.

Whoever is our QB is going to get their bell rung. Clayton stood in there tonight and endured breathtaking Dungey-seque hit after hit. Might want to give Rex some snaps just to spread the owies around.

Without O Line improvement it doesn’t matter who is back there. But Clayton does seem to have some moxie. Loved the two fumble run for a couple yards, I thought man that guy has all the luck in the world.

Welch showed basic instincts on when to step up in the pocket, when to tuck and run, when to step out to buy more time. Really basic stuff but it felt like a revelation because tommy just doesn’t have that instinct. And he goes down with the slightest contact. This convinced me that tommy is not the answer even when he gets healthy. You can’t depend on a perfect pocket unless you’re bama.

unfortunately Welch is not a very good passer.

man this off-season in the JUCO/transfer market is going to be critical.
Couldn't him being thrown in like that have affected his passing .Nerves. Maybe he gets a little rhythm next week.

Also, there’s no way you can tell me that Welch shouldn’t have been starting this season from day 1

Summers can play in 4 games and still redshirt so hopefully he will get some run.

id rather have Welch from literally everything I’ve heard on summers...I wouldn’t count on summers really ever having playing time

Yeah, I don’t know what you do if you’re Dino. This is just a completely lost season. You can’t develop a young QB behind this line. I guess if Tommy can’t go, just let Welch play out the string.

This has been an eye opening season for me. Drank way too much kool aid, but this team doesn’t look much different from the GRob or Shafer editions. Hard to watch when hopes were so high.

At least the Yankees won.
I'm going to chalk it up to the tackles ruining everything even if I see what everyone else sees with the throws TD doesn't attempt. They'll get stronger, not sure about their feet. Hopefully devito becomes adequate in his areas of weakness

This reminds me of 2002 where a fatal flaw at safety ruined the whole year

I think with welch might be part lizard. I can't be the only one who wondered what he was doing during those close ups where he was looking to the sideline

I'm going to chalk it up to the tackles ruining everything even if I see what everyone else see with the throws TD doesn't attempt. They'll get stronger, not sure about their feet. Hopefully devito becomes adequate in his areas of weakness

1993 fatal flaw at LB.

2005 fatal flaw at everywhere.

We’ve seen this movie before.

I'm going to chalk it up to the tackles ruining everything even if I see what everyone else sees with the throws TD doesn't attempt. They'll get stronger, not sure about their feet. Hopefully devito becomes adequate in his areas of weakness

Who was the safety in 2002? I'm sure I'll know when you say it but not ringing a bell right now

Ah 2002. One of PPs losses to Temple, missed extra point after we scored a late TD to pull within 1. I think even that bad memory is better than this year.

I think with welch might be part lizard. I can't be the only one who wondered what he was doing during those close ups where he was looking to the sideline

Yeah that’s what we are worried about. How Welch looks when getting the plays.

At least the offense moved when he was on the field and scored some TDs

For the first time all year this team had life in it when Welch played. We are still looking at 4-8 at best but at least they looked like they gave a damn
Not trolling you I promise, but I want your honest opinion we argued yesterday about how many QBs in Acc you would pick in front of Tommy, does this mean you have changed your mind when you saw Clayton in there? If not that’s fine but IMO the offense just does not look right with Tommy in it.

Not trolling you I promise, but I want your honest opinion we argued yesterday about how many QBs in Acc you would pick in front of Tommy, does this mean you have changed your mind when you saw Clayton in there? If not that’s fine but IMO the offense just does not look right with Tommy in it.

Fair question. Tommy can’t run like Welch and with our line we need someone who can run for his life. Tommy is a sitting duck and I think that gives us no chance. I haven’t changed my opinion on Tommy I know he has a lot to work on but I think he still has a lot of upside. If the team will rally around Welch going forward, let him play

He had some terrible throws, and a couple of really good ones. But mostly it was refreshing to see a QB have a better idea what to do when there was pressure. That’s where he was night and day different. I wish we could combine that quality with Tommy’s arm.

Unfortunately it’s now a lost season. He’s not taking this team to a bowl game and he’s a 5th year senior. So I don’t really see any upside to him playing. Nothing to develop for the future.

He had two or three very nice runs - he had a couple of nice throws - he has great size - and he seems surprisingly calm out there.

He had many truly horrible throws - as bad as I ever seen in the Dome. He has poor throwing technique - throws off his front foot.

There is a reason he is not a first team QB .

But he did seem to add some life to the game and it seems likely that DeVito's health will require that he get additional playing time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom