Clayton. Welch. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Clayton. Welch.

Even in his first two 4-8 seasons, there were several moments of hope. You could see something there and just thought we need a little more time. Had a big win each year.

But this year is just inept. I guess the only silver lining is that GRob probably loses to Western Michigan. So we’ve got that going for us.

True.

A totally different feel this year.

Very perplexing.

No. He can’t throw a timing route to save his life. Season is probably scrapped.

If I’m Dino, I’m googling for a competent OL coach at 3 AM tonight. Who has a good one that might get thrown out with a HC change. Something.

It’s 1 billion % the OL. It’s the worst I’ve ever seen up there.

Even with giving up 39 sacks a game, we lost the last two games by 6 and 7. The rest of the team is probably a 8 win team. Big miss by Dino on talent, but prob more on OL coach. He’s got to go.

Welch showed basic instincts on when to step up in the pocket, when to tuck and run, when to step out to buy more time. Really basic stuff but it felt like a revelation because tommy just doesn’t have that instinct. And he goes down with the slightest contact. This convinced me that tommy is not the answer even when he gets healthy. You can’t depend on a perfect pocket unless you’re bama.

unfortunately Welch is not a very good passer.

man this off-season in the JUCO/transfer market is going to be critical.
Exactly.

Even with giving up 39 sacks a game, we lost the last two games by 6 and 7. The rest of the team is probably a 8 win team. Big miss by Dino on talent, but prob more on OL coach. He’s got to go.

not laying it all on the OLine, but I’m not gonna try and split it up by percentages, but fault/blame lay in a few places.
Yes the OLine is horrid.
Yes Devito has some issues, whether it’s injuries, teams able to scheme against him/play calling, mentally shook.
Coaching/play calling.
And I’m gonna lay some on the leadership of players on this team. I don't know what it looks like but the issues with Harris, the issue at the end of the Clemson game I believe, the fact that the defense looked more “into” the game after Devito went out, granted after a touchdown, and the penalties.

I’m not usually the one to go out of my way and make abursd statements or comments but one has to wonder if the team is having issues with each other and what the locker room looks and sounds like.

its more on dino. he oversees the ship. our defense is competent. the rest is a total mess. devito will transfer as he cannot withstand the punishment and he cannot protect himself. su has done well historically, with mobile qbs. there is very little room in college football for pure passers. devito is clueless unless he has absolute protection. he did throw a couple of vg passes that were dropped.
this mess is all on dino. what he does now with staff and who he can recruit, particularly ol and qb will tell me what kind of coach he really is. i believe in him, i also believe that he has blind loyalty, thin skinned.
our play calling is bad, but in the red zone it is Horrid.

Welch's size and passing motion is perfect for quick slants. He just needs to be prepared at game time to let it rip.

Yeah that’s what we are worried about. How Welch looks when getting the plays.

At least the offense moved when he was on the field and scored some TDs
I'm not worried about it, a, you are annoying sometimes

He had two or three very nice runs - he had a couple of nice throws - he has great size - and he seems surprisingly calm out there.

He had many truly horrible throws - as bad as I ever seen in the Dome. He has poor throwing technique - throws off his front foot.

There is a reason he is not a first team QB .

But he did seem to add some life to the game and it seems likely that DeVito's health will require that he get additional playing time.
i only saw him throw off his front foot once and that was for a td i think. he gives us the best chance to be competitive at this point. he has better instincts than devito and moves the ball!!! is he pretty,no but he gives the opposing defense something to think about
he was at least a bright spot and probably the best runner on the team at this point!!!!!

Welch can really be the fat pirate, Dino needs to have him watch his old Bowling Green offense.

i only saw him throw off his front foot once and that was for a td i think. he gives us the best chance to be competitive at this point. he has better instincts than devito and moves the ball!!! is he pretty,no but he gives the opposing defense something to think about
he was at least a bright spot and probably the best runner on the team at this point!!!!!
And it was his first real action at this level. They can win any of the last 5 with him at QB.

Dino said there would be changes if things didn’t improve this week. 10 sacks and 45 yards rushing later I swear the entire OL better be benched even if that means I have to play
Why was this the end of the line week in terms of making changes? I don't understand that mindset.

He threw off his front foot many times.

He is woefully inaccurate much of the time.

He definitely made a difference last night but he doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence - for me at least.

Last edited:
He threw off is front foot many times.

He definitely made a difference last night but he doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence- for me at least.
He took a beating and didn't flinch.

Two things, seemingly contradictory, can both be correct. 1. Tommy has a chance to be a great quarterback for us. 2. The combination of a porous offensive line, to put it charitably, and a pure pocket passer have been disastrous.
Welch played with courage and passion, and he made plays when the line broke down, not just with his feet. The pass to Taj with a pass rusher bearing down on him was a thing of beauty. Also, a nice strike to Hackett for another score.
The line looks completely demoralized and is not suddenly going to start protecting our passers and opening holes. Changes need to be made in personnel and in play calling to allow the line to get some successes. Defenses are just teeing off on us, and we need to make them pay for it more than we are doing. Quick outs to the TE, screens, quick slants to inside receivers, counters, QB draws, shovel passes, etc. Have to find ways to create manageable third downs. Would like to see Servais at LT, Howard getting more carries, more throws to our TEs.
For those who think our offensive problems cannot be solved, consider how bad our defense was the final three games of 2017, when we gave up 162 points. The next season, with many of the same players, we were markedly better. Hopefully, we won't have to wait until next season to see improvement, but we're at a fragile point in which we cannot keep doing the same things and hoping for different results.

He threw off is front foot many times.

He definitely made a difference last night but he doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence- for me at least.
he inspires others apparently and is a gamer. he has good instinct and not great talent. td is woefully inept due to the ol most of the time. he does not have good instincts DESPITE HIS SKILLS AND RUNNING FOR HIS LIFE.
is clayton the answer? i never said he is but it is refreshing to see someone with football savy.

Didn't watch/listen to the presser with Clayton hows his shoulder?

Clayton is a bigger kid and can take more licks back there which is going to happen with our line.

Hope Tommys injury is nothing serious however behind this line we need a QB who can scramble or its going to be a long finally however many games we have...

Clayton Welch was a two time Captain and leader of his HS team. He was the NorCal Player of the Year while in Junior College. Top player in the whole league. By all accounts he is a very outgoing, confident some would say cocky guy. Clayton has some balls on him based on reports. He doesn't throw the prettiest ball but based on his past accomplishments he is a leader and a gamer. Tommy is banged up and his confidence is shot. PTSD bad.
I would go with both against the Noles as it gives them two very different QBs to have to prepare for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom