Clayton. Welch. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Clayton. Welch.

Dino said in his press conference that Tommy was actually cleared to go back in but Dino decided to go with Welch.
Thanks, didn’t see press conference. I was sulking.

There are a lot of posts in this thread. Not many mentioning the fact that we are averaging about 4 ft (yes ft.) per rush the last 2 games. If we could run at all it would help pass protection.
those rushing number include tommy's sacks (9/-32) . clayton avg 4 per carry. moe 3 and abdul 5 ypc.

What would he need to do to to change your mind about him not showing you much?

I'd like him to start by looking comfortable being in the pocket and leading the offense. Currently it looks like the game is moving by too quickly, which again is not entirely his fault.

Ideally I'd also like to see us also win a game against a decent P5 opponent.

Devito's wins are:

5-7 Florida State (1-2 at the time)
2-9 UNC (1-5 at the tie)
4-2 Liberty (0-0 at the time)
3-3 Holy Cross (1-3 at the time)
4-3 Western Michigan (2-2 at the time)

Show of hands:

How many of the people who want Clayton Welch to start next week also wanted Tommy DeVito to start the NC State game last year after Eric Dungey had played poorly vs. UNC and Tommy came in to save us?

"The most popular guy in town..."

Show of hands:

How many of the people who want Clayton Welch to start next week also wanted Tommy DeVito to start the NC State game last year after Eric Dungey had played poorly vs. UNC and Tommy came in to save us?

I can only speak for myself but I've been a huge Dungey guy.

I believe the worst thing I said about Dungey after that game is that I thought Dino would start Devito the next week and everyone knew Devito was basically the QB of the future (he was and still is) but I thought that we would see Dungey again in the rest of the season. I also said he had been our saving grace the last few years. Dino started Dungey the next week and balled out.

And I also said that I was excited about our young core of players for the future... A little less excited now

Everything else I said in Dungey's tenure here was overwhelmingly positive.

Show of hands:

I didn’t not even close, thought people were nuts that wanted to replace Dungy. At this point comparing Eric to TD situation is apples and oranges.

This "DeVito is a 7on7 QB" narrative is weird to me.

We have no running game. None.

The only way we move the ball is through the air. Even if you take out DeVito's yardage and attempts, we average 3.7 yards per carry if my math is right. That would tie us for 92nd in the country right now with 7 other teams, except we're worse than that because those programs have their sack yardage included in that average and I pulled DeVito's out.

We're ranked 122nd for rushing yards per attempt currently counting everything. That's half a yard worse than the offensive juggernaut we know as Rutgers, and .2 yards per carry better than the mighty UCONN Contract Incentives.

Reducing DeVito to a 7on7 all-star... I can't do it when our offense is so completely one dimensional.

Right now that's exactly what he is. Teams made their adjustment to him, now he needs to adjust back.

It's been one read, not throwing guys open, and after a couple of early picks he's not trying to make plays. Not expecting the last guy but very little playmaking on the go.

And I’m sure if you’ve been “in communication” with his father you’re being very supportive of the program.
Im extremely supportive of the program Bees. Have been for 50 years. My father and other family members since the 20's. Whats your point.

If TD is healthy enough to play, play him. Welch is done after this year and this season is cooked for us. The team clearly responded to Welch in one of the few glimpses of life they have shown this year but it’s time to think future. Just hope neither QB gets mauled because this OL is a complete disgrace

Show of hands:

I wanted Tommy because it was obvious that Eric was playing through an injury. I hope that we play both guys next game. Lets give FSU something to have to plan against.

If TD is healthy enough to play, play him. Welch is done after this year and this season is cooked for us. The team clearly responded to Welch in one of the few glimpses of life they have shown this year but it’s time to think future. Just hope neither QB gets mauled because this OL is a complete disgrace

Could playing for the future include saving DeVito the beatings?

It’s almost a waste of time for everybody to throw him out there behind that line at this point. Welch at least has a chance to avoid the heavy rush a bit.

Welch has one “good” game and he’s our savior.

I think we’ve all learned to temper our expectations, but it appears some have not, and after one game (sample size) people are appointing Welch the “savior.”
Someone just said it that now defenses have a film to scout and now they are gonna push up with the DEs and make him move up and try to keep the tackles low, or if that doesn’t work just rush 4 we’ve already proven we can’t block so just leave someone to spy on him.
I have a feeling that he’s gonna have to get rid of the ball faster now.
I don't think folks are making Welch the next savior of the program. I do think most posters did the usual and put Tommy up on a pedestal before he ever started at SU or Dungey graduated. Now Welch did play well enough last night to get two TDs in his first game in two years. If he gives us a chance to win, something Tommy isn't doing right now, then fine let Welch play. For that matter let Rex takes some snaps.

Last edited:
And I’m sure you are with a parent you try to curry favor with because.
Wrong. My Dad grew up on a farm in NJ. My daughter is a college athlete who is the same age as Tommy.Hes a great Dad who cares about his son. The last thing i would want is for Tommy to transfer.

If Tommy’s family / Tommy are seriously considering “reviewing his options” based on those factors, then that’s terrible. The epitome of taking your ball and going home.

Own your situation and work yourself through it. It’s not the program’s fault.

Currently, the NFL is nowhere near his future.

The worst part is, he’s probably a phenomenal kid, have heard nothing other than that. Just getting the worst kind of advice, it’s aleays someone else’s fault.

Wrong. My Dad grew up on a farm in NJ. My daughter is a college athlete who is the same age as Tommy.Hes a great Dad who cares about his son. The last thing i would want is for Tommy to transfer.

then why throw your speculation out there with a declaratory statement that he’s most likely going to transfer

then why throw your speculation out there with a declaratory statement that he’s most likely going to transfer
I didnt. The statement was taken the wrong way. I have not spoken to his Dad since he left this forum. I hope he doesn't leave.

If Tommy’s family / Tommy are seriously considering “reviewing his options” based on those factors, then that’s terrible. The epitome of taking your ball and going home.

Own your situation and work yourself through it. It’s not the program’s fault.

Currently, the NFL is nowhere near his future.

The worst part is, he’s probably a phenomenal kid, have heard nothing other than that. Just getting the worst kind of advice, it’s aleays someone else’s fault.
Things are tough enough as it is, don’t need outsiders whispering poison into his ears on top of it.

Everybody needs to do better including him

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom