Clayton White New DC? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Clayton White New DC?

Tell me that you’ve got everything you want
And your bird can sing
But you don’t get me
You don’t get me

bird.png

Context is important. Dino needs to be looking at these coaches and their systems and figuring out what would happen against an ACC schedule.
That is the key, you hit the nail right square on the head. It should be more than painfully obvious to Dino Babers that the scheme his defense has run during his time at Syracuse is not conducive to sustained success in the ACC. Apart from 2018, no pass rush and his run defense gets gashed. Coverage is loose and the back four get toasted. Scheme needs to be both aggressive towards and confusing too the opposing offense. In my humble opinion, Standard should go back to coaching the defensive ends. Syracuse was extremely fortunate to come away with a win against Wake Forest. If Hinton doesn't allow the pass to go right through his hands on first and goal, Wake Forest wins. Dino Babers very much needs to get this hire right.

That is facing Sun Belt conference offenses. Those numbers aren’t that good.
It's actually Conference USA and this year was 1st in their conference. I actually like David Reeves and Brian Newberry resume better over the last 3 years (WKU Defense was average the other 2 years), but 1st in your conference is nothing to sneeze it. Ha-choo!

Last edited:
Lots of revisionist history with Ward already. I agreed with his firing - but there were some things we did very well all of or most of his 3 years here. Also, keep in mind the style of offense can make numbers look worse.

The opinions on the “new maybe-coach” are flying into “not giving the guy a chance” zone really quick.

Lots of revisionist history with Ward already. I agreed with his firing - but there were some things we did very well all of or most of his 3 years here. Also, keep in mind the style of offense can make numbers look worse.
He did great against Clemson and had some moments, but we had way too many other teams setting individual and team offensive records against us and we set too many negative Defensive records.
Not sure you can say it's revisionist when a large segment of the fanbase wasn't psyched about his hiring and wanted a more aggressive D from the start.

He did great against Clemson and had some moments, but we had way too many other teams setting individual and team offensive records against us and we set too many negative Defensive records.
Not sure you can say it's revisionist when a large segment of the fanbase wasn't psyched about his hiring and wanted a more aggressive D from the start.

No - revisionist based on actual history and numbers. Some are flat out awful - but many of them are inflated by the extra possessions given to opposing offenses due to tempo. Some are just awful on their own.

But:
2019, #7 in takeaways
2018, #3 in takeaways
2018, #7 in 3rd down D
2017, #13 in 3rd down D
2018, #20 in TFL
2018, #5 in INT
2019, #19 in INT

Shafer, an aggressive DC got as high as #4 in TFL his final season as DC. Never got better than average in takeaways. If you asked an average poster what DC har more takeaways and on average more TFL, Ward or Shafer - most would say Shafer.

The opinions on the “new maybe-coach” are flying into “not giving the guy a chance” zone really quick.

One thing that isn't revisionist history is that 99% of the board who cares about defense went nuts (in negative way) about a base tampa 2 zone scheme.

I don't think that's they way Ward ended up going but because we recruited for it, it's hard to switch up personnel wise.

Last edited:
Outside of DE/DT size doesn't matter as much in college football. On defense you need speed.
LBs/DBs need to have speed.
I would take a smaller guy who can fly. As long as they aren't tiny.

One thing that isn't revisionist history is that 99% of the board who cares about defense went nuts (in negative way) about a base tampa 2 zone scheme.

I don't that's they way Ward ended up going but because we recruited for it, it's hard to switch up personnel wise.

that’s actually a perfect example of an early board narrative that stuck and then was hung around his neck for years, when right from the beginning you could see it wasn’t a true tampa 2. the personal thing is overblown. Bennett was great at LB for Ward and wasn’t recruited by him for his system

that’s actually a perfect example of an early board narrative that stuck and then was hung around his neck for years, when right from the beginning you could see it wasn’t a true tampa 2. the personal thing is overblown. Bennett was great at LB for Ward and wasn’t recruited by him for his system

That's because some of our old linebackers like Bennett and Thomas were recruited for their speed to blitz the QB and that trait is also good in coverage. Those are similar to guys we still need now, (pass coverage) but we're getting killed not having some traditional run stopping types who can shed blocks and make tackles.

That's because some of our old linebackers like Bennett and Thomas were recruited for their speed to blitz the QB and that trait is also good in coverage. Those are similar to guys we still need now, (pass coverage) but we're getting killed not having some traditional run stopping types who can shed blocks and make tackles.

no argument there. I think our lot in life is one of tradeoff’s and compromise until our recruiting hits another level, however unlikely

you cant equate a sun belt D and how it does or wont do against better teams cause you also have to factor in hopefully a talent upgrade... for all most of us know they could have zero talent and scheme got it to some decent number.

Here are the defensive SP+ rankings which *ARE* opponent adjusted.

Western Kentucky
83/93/37

Syracuse
66/60/74

It's just 1 half, but the WKU Defense looked much better than we did against Western Michigan in either of the past 2 years. Only gave up 3 points

Last edited:
Would hope, with the recent financial support provided by the school/fans/AD, we’d bring in a proven commodity with recruiting chops

YES! This! With our resources and the time being spend. It better be a great hire. But never get your hopes up too high you’ll always be disappointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom