Clayton White New DC? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Clayton White New DC?

Here is a write up on candidates for the open NC State DC position. It includes an evaluation of Clayton.

Even worse. He has had more success as a STC than a DC. One year of being decent not good. If Dino gets this wrong...

until confirmed by the university I won’t believe it. But, who knows maybe it is true. If so... I mean is this really the hire the fan base wanted to hear? I would be surprised if ADJW would think this is the exact hire we need to turn this thing into a consistently winning program.

I was hoping for someone with a great track record as a DC for more than a few years at maybe a few different schools.

If this is true we get a DC with what 2-3 years experience as DC and a mediocre track record.

Sounds ...um great!

And also sounds like we will be mediocre or worse on defense for the next few years. A new DC against Clemson and FSU every year sounds fantastic. Also hate the Co-DC thing, there has to be someone in charge, not only to make the tough calls but for a single neck to choke when things go wrong.

If this is true we get a DC with what 2-3 years experience as DC and a mediocre track record.

This is being very generous. All of his teams defensive stats as him as DC were some of the worst in the country, every single year. His track record is well below mediocre.

His Defenses are 1-2 against FCS teams. Including giving up 21 points in the 4th Quarter against Central Arkansas this year to lose that game. Last year against Maine, they were up 21-0 after the 1st Quarter and lost 31-28. If this is the hire, I have no words.

Just doesn't seem like a hire that Dino would target and Wildhack would go for unless there was some dollar constraint which there could well be. Seems out of left field so to speak. We will see I guess.

Dino doesn't have $$$ constraint from Wildhack (within reason). No idea on this coach.

His Defenses are 1-2 against FCS teams. Including giving up 21 points in the 4th Quarter against Central Arkansas this year to lose that game. Last year against Maine, they were up 21-0 after the 1st Quarter and lost 31-28. If this is the hire, I have no words.

This is starting to feel like Ash level disappointment.

Can we trade him for the Western Kentucky guy we were trying to flip?
Alternatively, maybe with Clayton Welch graduating, Dino feels we need at least one guy with the name Clayton around.

I see a Western Kentucky defense that held 7 opponents under 20 points this year and 3 teams to 10 points or less. Yeah they lost 28-35 against Central Arkansas in their opener, but whipped a bad SEC team, Arkansas, 45-19. Not too shabby.

I see a Western Kentucky defense that held 7 opponents under 20 points this year and 3 teams to 10 points or less. Yeah they lost 28-35 against Central Arkansas in their opener, but whipped a bad SEC team, Arkansas, 45-19. Not too shabby.

Hey stop being positive, join the angry mob for the hypothetical hire instead

Not going to say anything regarding this until whoever they hired is confirmed. All I'm going to say is that whoever it is that they hire(d), Dino Babers and whoever his brain trust/confidants are had better get it right because there is a lot riding on him getting it right. When they are done with the defense, then find someone capable to run the offense. Go Orange!!!!
No matter who they hire, the elephant in the room is the DL. We have one guy with size and experience inside, and only a couple guys with talent/snaps on the edge. It's a huge issue, that (without a JUCO/GT) will limit the pass rush (like last year) and create even more pressure on the LB's and safeties (like last year). DL should be priority #1 for DB and any new DC hire.

Last edited:
1576425603929.png

If we’re keeping Stanard and going with this guy, I could be convinced. I know everyone wants an “attacking guy” but even this year we finished in the middle of the conference in sacks. Our DL has been ok.

I’m wanting the LB and S play to get better - mostly on bad angles and slow reads.
That should improve now that both of the linebackers and one of the safeties exhausted their eligibility. Well lets hope so at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom