Clemson Opens -7.5 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson Opens -7.5

My fear for this game is we allow them a quick score out the gate, and we come out and go 3 and out, and they respond with a big play, followed by another 3 and out to put us in a hole early.

It'll take the crowd out of it from the jump.

We have had a tendency over the past twenty years to give up a big play very early in some of our more important opportunity games that sets the tone for how the day will go.

I can see us losing 21-10 or 20-3 into the third quarter and then making a charge and falling short in the end like 27-23.

Late score and stop to give us one last drive with like 80 seconds left that ends in heartbreak.

My fear for this game is we allow them a quick score out the gate, and we come out and go 3 and out, and they respond with a big play, followed by another 3 and out to put us in a hole early.

We have had a tendency over the past twenty years to give up a big play very early in some of our more important opportunity games that sets the tone for how the day will go.

I can see us losing 21-10 or 20-3 into the third quarter and then making a charge and falling short in the end like 27-23.

Late score and stop to give us one last drive with like 80 seconds left that ends in heartbreak.
You sure spend a lot of time posting disheartening speculation.

How about trying for a happy ending once in a while?

You sure spend a lot of time posting disheartening speculation.

How about trying for a happy ending once in a while?
200.gif

Dude. NO.

We were up 21-10 AT Clemson last year at the half.

Scoreless 3rd Q.

Alas, we gave up 17 unanswered in the 4th, and the comeback was thwarted by Garrett’s late INT.

The ‘21 game was a 14-17 L.

Don’t care what happened in ‘20, the Covid year was the worlds biggest asterisk.

We beat them in 2017, and should have beaten them in 2018.

2019 was the only game against them that went down like you’re stating, and that’s because we had TDV at QB.
And they had Trevor Lawrence.

Also - we had Lynch as OC (I honestly didn’t even remember that), #FireBrianWard as DC,
the TX HS coach as QB coach,
& Cavanaugh as OL coach.
Yeesh!!!

The coaching staff now, along with the players on both sides of the ball, and the depth, are literally night & day as compared to 2019.

So, again - NO.

Gonna be a tough one. Clemson still looks like a legit top 10 team. The Duke loss was a fluke imo and they had a chance to beat a top 5 team in FSU. I’m just hoping for a tight game in the 4th quarter with a chance to make a play to win it. History shows that we may get that chance.

Let’s all just take some deep breaths.

With OG, I would really believe we had a puncher's chance, because our guy is better than any of their guys.
Now I am wondering about the psychology Clemson comes in with. Even the pros can't get up for every game, Lombardi using tactics that probably wouldn't work in this era, would push his team down psychologically at times, and build them up at other times.
Clemson had to be psychologically up bigly for FSU. It was their must win game to keep their playoff hopes alive.They played well too, but lost. Now they have to go on the road. Are they going to be determined to rebuild their reputation, or a little flat for an on the road nooner, when it just doesn't seem as important any more? That's our chance.
Didn’t Lombardi once tear out his dentures and throw them at the team at halftime? Terrifying

My heart says we win a gutsy thriller similar to 2017.

My brain is worried that we get handled at the line of scrimmage and this game resembles Notre Dame from last year.

My brain is worried that we get handled at the line of scrimmage and this game resembles Notre Dame from last year.
I worry about that too. We do have much more depth this year on D, and we are much healthier. Should help significantly.

As we showed in the army game.. We have more scheme options this yr and more depth.. Once we adjusted it was game over.

FSu slowed the Clemson running game down a bit but they had enough volume to control the game because they passed so well.

Our corners and safeties are going to have to step their game up this week. I have a feeling to stop the run we're going to be putting them in a lot of one on one situations. We're going to need great coverage, open field tackles, and to not let anything get behind us.

I'd be okay if we give up some short routes over the middle and play a little bend but don't break defense. Then hold Clemson to FGs when they get close to the Red zone.

No Lockett, Thompson last year. McDonald was on one leg at that time, don’t know if he played. Dalton was dinged. Ingraham has been added. LB 2nd unit hadn’t played much to that point. EFC, Jacquez, Jobbity a year older.

SU can roll out two lines, and rotate LB’s to keep guys fresh.

Defense is 100% as far as we know. That was not the case against ND last year.

And the offense couldn’t stay on the field

No Lockett, Thompson last year. McDonald was on one leg at that time, don’t know if he played. Dalton was dinged. Ingraham has been added. LB 2nd unit hadn’t played much to that point. EFC, Jacquez, Jobbity a year older.

SU can roll out two lines, and rotate LB’s to keep guys fresh.

Defense is 100% as far as we know. That was not the case against ND last year.

And the offense couldn’t stay on the field
I want you to be right about this 100000000x more than I want me to be right.

They will spy Garrett, double Alford, and Brown will have his coming out party.
I really want Jones to be available for these next few games. I think that would make a big difference for us to have options spreading the ball around as he'd be a big factor as a solid all around receiver. I also wouldn't mind seeing Ellis and More back as options on the OL.

Clemson is a solid team and playing better than they were against Duke. But I think picking Cuse on the money line is a solid bet. Sure we could lose by 10 but I think we can win by 10. Its definitely a toss up game so the point spread is really nice. If Jones is back we are very slight favorites at home in my book.

Last edited:
I really want Jones to be available for these next few games. I think that would make a big difference for us to have options spreading the ball around as he'd be a big factor as a solid all around receiver. I also wouldn't mind seeing Ellis and More back as options on the OL.

Clemson is a solid team and playing better than they were against Duke. But I think picking Cuse on the money line is a solid bet. Sure we could lose by 10 but I think we can win by 10. Its definitely a toss up game so the point spread is really nice. If Jones is back we are very slight favorites at home in my book.
No information on Jones but I just have a feeling it will be at least another week for him.

No information on Jones but I just have a feeling it will be at least another week for him.
Jones looked to be walking around fine on the sideline. Didn't appear to be in a boot or any type of cast, so I really wonder what the LBI is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom