Clemson wants out of the ACC too...(shocker) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson wants out of the ACC too...(shocker)

The problem is the ACC wont have any marquee teams, once FSU or Clemson is able to eventually get out (whether thats in 2 or 3 years or later) UVA and UNC will be following right behind as the B10 covets them the most. Even if you only lose those 4, what you have left isn't sustainable, ACC would have to take such a pay cut that the B12 will look like the SEC in comparison. ACC is in a death spiral that I don't see any realistic way out of.
Honest questions: Who do you see at the B12's marquee teams?

They definitely know it, they have zero concerns.
I think they have a spot if the Big ten cuts other programs loose at the same time. The math doesn't work anymore to keep paying Rutgers, Maryland Northwestern the same share as a UNC.

The only real question at this point is whether administrators will realize that it makes more sense to thoughtfully create a Super League of 50-60 teams that can negotiate with media properties and collectively bargain with athletes… or will they not realize that because they’re reactive dolts, and instead end up with 2 power leagues and 1 half-power league who all try to do the same things?

I’m betting on the latter because we’ve seen for 25 years that college “leadership” is dumber than rocks.
They run advertisements over and over for gas station fried chicken that viewers will never ever even see in real life.

How can it be so valuable to cable companies and so worthless to advertisers at the same time?

There are so much about the economics that didn't make sense, you have to wonder about the people in charge

Top 15 or whatever in football
Won 2 out of the last 3 NCs in soccer
Ranked 3rd in baseball
Made the tournament in basketball

So a couple I guess...

well that's why I asked...

I'm enjoying watching your football team trending down though.

The only real question at this point is whether administrators will realize that it makes more sense to thoughtfully create a Super League of 50-60 teams that can negotiate with media properties and collectively bargain with athletes… or will they not realize that because they’re reactive dolts, and instead end up with 2 power leagues and 1 half-power league who all try to do the same things?

I’m betting on the latter because we’ve seen for 25 years that college “leadership” is dumber than rocks.
Precisely. It's so clearly the answer.

Have fun playing third fiddle to either Michigan/OSU or Bama/Georgia. I think the best years for those two schools are behind them.

This is all so sad. All of it: the portal, NIL, conference re-alignment.

It all went sideways when the school presidents began listening to the stupid ADs, who were clamoring to reach the bonuses in their contracts.

I've said this before, but I bet there are 12-15 capable ADs in college sports. Out of 300+ Division I schools. The rest are all pro-sports wannabes (aka failures) who could not make it in the real world of sports capitalism. Welcome to the small fish (who pretends he's a big fish) in a small-medium pond syndrome.

Folks, college sports are decidedly small time.

Last year, all college bowl games divvied out $505M. For every game. Combined.
  • Shohei Ohtani just signed with the Dodgers for $700M. Yes, for 10+ years, but one singular player.
Last year, B10 fans worldwide shouted from the mountaintops that their schools cleared $59M each in TV revenue ("great, we're rich!" Make that nouveau riche, idiots)
  • Well, Blake Snell just signed a crappy deal with the Giants for $63M for two-years. And, of course, NFL teams clear $250M annually in TV revenue. So, there is that.
What the college presidents forgot was that the $10s of Millions that these top (let's say) 50 schools are fending for (and murdering their brethren and the sport itself for) is chump change compared to the money that comes with most schools' real treasure chests (aka endowments).

And it is all such a shame. Blame the AD's more than anyone.

It's also possible that the ACC will pick some B12 candidates when their TV deal expires (UCF, Cincy, TCU, WVU, ?).
Yeah, that is a possibility especially if the ACC brands are able to stick together and renegotiate the tv deal. The ACC will be in position of power, able to offer more money. However, the Big 12 contract ends in 2031. The ACC resolution will all be over within the year. The argument FSU is using against the ACC for the GOR is not applicable to the Big 12. I haven't read the Clemson arguments though.

You're right, 25 years of reactiveness and paranoia.

The kicker here is that what makes college football attractive isn't as simple as the Pros. There is an alumni and locality component that isn't ever going away. Hopefully they're smart enough to realize they are much better off erring on the side of being inclusive than the other way around.

For me for example, if Syracuse becomes irrelevant I'm probably done with College Football.

It basically becomes like watching the minor leagues (if it's 2 power conferences / 30ish teams) and I don't do that for Baseball, so why would I do it for football...

It will be very interesting to see who picks off who. Timing of respective GORs and TV deals / landscape will be in play for sure, as will forward thinking.
Strategy will be interesting to see, especially if the B1G sees any value in being protectionist in the Northeast.

it's over, just a question of what the surrender looks like for Syracuse/BC/Pitt and the other remnants. I wish Wildhack would take a Gavitt like approach and think down the road. We're not going to be in a big time conference. What makes us tick into the 2030s as a viable operation. IMO, it's re-regionalizing our sports. Not sure it's the most lucrative initially but it may be our path forward
It's not even close to over.

If the P2 conferences get much bigger, I could see the Big 10 taking Stanford and Cal. Supposedly, the B10 presidents wanted them, but FOX did not. That could change as the Big 10 having 6 schools on the West Coast makes sense vs. 4 to reduce travel.

All the ACC did was say that yes, if they are presented with a fair buyout value from an ACC school, they will accept it. That shows the court they are acting in good faith and are reasonable.
And FSU claims there value is a greater share of the pie than any other conference member so that needs to be part of the negotiation.

Honest questions: Who do you see at the B12's marquee teams?

Not sure they have any but they also didn't have any when the P12 broke up and teams went running to them versus trying to stick it out with the Pac. When the Clemsons and FSU's eventually force their way out teams will be looking for stability and that's likely something the B12 will be able to offer at that point especially if teh ACC loses all of their marque teams which feels likely.

At what point does the ”mouse” (Disney/ESPN) renegotiate the existing contract with the ACC and give it more money to keep an asset from dissolving? ESPN is making good $$ on the ACC and that could just go away.

Also, I can see the ACC going more and more to an incentive based payout based upon performance. If they just guarantee more $$ to Clemson and FSU that is greater than the rest, the conference is a dead man walking as it will fall apart.

I think the SU question is if they decide on elegance and figuring out the top 60 schools or so we have a real shot and Rutgers/Vanderbilt/Northwestern? are going to hit the streets. Our brand may matter if it's true musical chairs.

If the BIG/SEC decides to retain all members thick and thin, we're going to be on the outside looking in. Not sure it's any more binary than that.
Northwestern is a founding member of the B10, they are squarely in the Chicago market, they’ve been significantly better than SU for 20 years or so, and they’re one of the elite academic institutions in the world. They aren’t going anywhere.

Top 15 or whatever in football
Won 2 out of the last 3 NCs in soccer
Ranked 3rd in baseball
Made the tournament in basketball

So a couple I guess...

Huh. Well, they allege that "[t]he ACC's actions interfere with Clemson's free exercise of its rights and are fatally detrimental to Clemson's efforts to ensure that its athletic programs can continue to compete at the highest level, which is critically important to Clemson even beyond athletics..."

So are they successful or is their "fatal" demise imminent? I agree with you they've had a lot of success. So what's their argument for leaving?

Don’t forget Rutgers has that for b10
Check your map. Piscataway is in NJ. In today's media landscape it's all about in state vs. out of state carriage fees for various cable networks. That may not be the case in 20 years, but for now Rutgers does nothing for the BTN in terms of NYS carriage fees.

They run advertisements over and over for gas station fried chicken that viewers will never ever even see in real life.

How can it be so valuable to cable companies and so worthless to advertisers at the same time?

There are so much about the economics that didn't make sense, you have to wonder about the people in charge
In fairness, it was valuable to advertisers because of scale. It’s been cheaper for Bojangles to buy a league wide sponsorship, hit all of their target markets, and endure the inefficiency of also hitting upstate NY western PA and eastern MA.

Just like it was cheaper a few years back for Chick-Fil-A to buy national ads in college football even if it meant reaching markets that didn’t have a restaurant.

Obviously the issue now is that “cable” is collapsing and there’s more value in brands than markets, for the most part. Which is to say that Rutgers and BC were very lucky to have gotten expansion bids when they did.

Not when they start picking off ACC teams
And what ACC teams would be anxious to go to the B12 at this point? I don't think any AD would recommend bailing on the ACC to go to a conference that pays markedly lower media rights fees because of what might happen if FSU wins their case in Florida, wins all appeals, then wins a case in NC where the contract resides and then wins all appeals and then Clemson wins its case in SC.....

Long way to go before anything is resolved here, we're talking 4 - 5 years plus, and the media landscape is changing at warp speed. Don't understand the need to stress over it now.

They might both lose

But is it worth the $$$$$ for the ACC to fight these in courts? It’s not like it’s free

Add in UNC and VA lawsuits and it’s easier just to negotiate and work out a deal
What if a court decides that the FSU/Clemson suits are totally without merit, even frivolous, and orders them to pay court costs?