Coach Autry moves | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Autry moves

I applaud the length and breadth of you post. Listen, I'm the least connected poster on this board, so I have zero inside knowledge of HCAA. My post was simple speculation based on all the social media on non-basketball activities. I don't believe I stated that this was the situation; I was simply speculating based on perception. But, as with many posts, this forum assumes an absolute statement of fact, rather than speculation. I hate long posts, so I'll just leave it as, I hope AA has that "Eye of the Tiger" mentality when it comes to coaching. And again, my own preference is for radio silence, rather than all this public relations fluffery.
A lot of it is part of the gig. Especially when you are not 77 years old and been the HC at one school for over 47 years. I am sure Autry would like to say no to some of this stuff but it goes with the territory and is part of the job 100%. I don't see what is so hard to grasp here. I think you're takes and expectations are a little goofy at best. If he was working in a basement 20 hours a day, you would be complaining that he's not visibile enough, not doing enough PR. I think your negative tone towards almost EVERYTHING speaks for itself

I'm just concerned that AA might subconsciously think - I did it, I'm head coach, I won the race; couple that with a significant pay raise. Hope he comes out with a something to prove, chip on his shoulder attitude this season. All these fluff activities, I mean JB is the one that just retired, not AA.
Head coach = won the race?

lol

Yeah, it's the end of June, so I guess every other College head coach is doing the same stuff. Just think ACC head coach should be a 12 months out of the year job.
Do you think he's not working? All of this stuff is marketing and connecting. This isn't him just living the dream. He's doing the little things to maintain/elevate the brand.

Do you think he's not working? All of this stuff is marketing and connecting. This isn't him just living the dream. He's doing the little things to maintain/elevate the brand.
I realize that those things are part of the job description. And, as a new head coach, AA still is feeling his way through the process. I just hope he won't get too distracted by all the "other" stuff. Just to compare, since they both started HCing jobs around the same time, with Ed Cooley. Plus, they are our rival, don't think Cooley is wasting as much time on these public relations fluff. He already has a huge advantage in head coaching experience AND success. AA needs to not only be outworking Cooley, but probably by at least 20 percent.

I realize that those things are part of the job description. And, as a new head coach, AA still is feeling his way through the process. I just hope he won't get too distracted by all the "other" stuff. Just to compare, since they both started HCing jobs around the same time, with Ed Cooley. Plus, they are our rival, don't think Cooley is wasting as much time on these public relations fluff. He already has a huge advantage in head coaching experience AND success. AA needs to not only be outworking Cooley, but probably by at least 20 percent.
Considering we have higher ranked transfers this year and 2 top 100 players for next year including one in Georgetown's backyard I still do not know why you're worried. Cooley has not been outworking him.

Considering we have higher ranked transfers this year and 2 top 100 players for next year including one in Georgetown's backyard I still do not know why you're worried. Cooley has not been outworking him.
Yeah, I've stated my pleasure about AA's start in recruiting. My concerns are more of the unknowns, like coaching style, tactics, etc. We also need to come up with an entirely new offense and defense too. Lots to do this Summer and Fall before practices start; probably much more than other programs.

Yeah, I've stated my pleasure about AA's start in recruiting. My concerns are more of the unknowns, like coaching style, tactics, etc. We also need to come up with an entirely new offense and defense too.
Can’t do much until guys are on campus which won’t happen until next week. And you won’t see the fruits of that until November.

Yeah, I've stated my pleasure about AA's start in recruiting. My concerns are more of the unknowns, like coaching style, tactics, etc. We also need to come up with an entirely new offense and defense too. Lots to do this Summer and Fall before practices start; probably much more than other programs.

GMac in an interview already said they had installed and locked in on the defense with the offense to come next. They've been working their asses off.

It's important not to conflate performance and results on the court, which we don't know yet, with putting in the work which they are absolutely doing while also managing the necessary community and PR event schedules.

Syracuse has a massive media presence compared to many other programs so we have a constant pulse of what's happening. Don't take Cooley not being in the news as a sign he isn't doing all of these same kind of things.

Those concerns are valid but you are jumping to conclusions based on nothing. Red has thus far performed very well in the areas that we have information on. You are concerned about areas we don't have any public information on. That doesn't mean he isn't working or hasn't been working on those areas.

Those concerns are valid but you are jumping to conclusions based on nothing. Red has thus far performed very well in the areas that we have information on. You are concerned about areas we don't have any public information on. That doesn't mean he isn't working or hasn't been working on those areas.
Not directed toward you, but those that think I'm stating my opinions/concerns as facts. Listen, I don't live in Syracuse, I don't live on AA's street, nor have an office next to him in the Melo Center. Was just posting that I have concerns about the "perceptions" from all these social media posts. My personal preference would be to tone down, or better yet, just go radio silent.

Not directed toward you, but those that think I'm stating my opinions/concerns as facts. Listen, I don't live in Syracuse, I don't live on AA's street, nor have an office next to him in the Melo Center. Was just posting that I have concerns about the "perceptions" from all these social media posts. My personal preference would be to tone down, or better yet, just go radio silent.

Huh? You are on an island of 1 here man. No one is drawing bad perceptions from him promoting SU hoops throwing out a first pitch for the Yankees or taking part in charity events. Community work is critical not self serving. Radio silence benefits exactly how?

If you are so perceptive to your views you should take note how much the very kids who play college basketball for SU take to using social media and sharing their world. Meanwhile you want a coach who's invisible unless he is taking pictures in his office watching film?

Huh? You are on an island of 1 here man. No one is drawing bad perceptions from him promoting SU hoops throwing out a first pitch for the Yankees or taking part in charity events. Community work is critical not self serving. Radio silence benefits exactly how?
He better be diagramming plays on a white board in a room with no windows RIGHT NOW or else he’s not going to be ready for the season!

I’m impressed by your tenacity.

If you are so perceptive to your views you should take note how much the very kids who play college basketball for SU take to using social media and sharing their world. Meanwhile you want a coach who's invisible unless he is taking pictures in his office watching film?
Hey, I'm willing to concede that I'm off on this topic. Just my feeling, no worries if it's just a bit outside.

Hey, I'm willing to concede that I'm off on this topic. Just my feeling, no worries if it's just a bit outside.

HarmoniousConcreteAnchovy-size_restricted.gif

This stuff is not distraction. It is calculated. And he IS outworking Cooley. This is part of it. Red has catching up to do because he's a new head coach. This is part of getting his name out there. You're speaking as if he needs to be locked up in a room scouting and developing strategy. That is probably the thing he already has down more than any other part of the job. There are no opponents to scout and no players ro coach right now, so this is when you promote and recruit. That's exactly what he's doing.

Go back and read the article on Copeland, the players are enthused with the new coaching staff, and the direction of the program.

GMac in an interview already said they had installed and locked in on the defense with the offense to come next. They've been working their asses off.

It's important not to conflate performance and results on the court, which we don't know yet, with putting in the work which they are absolutely doing while also managing the necessary community and PR event schedules.

Syracuse has a massive media presence compared to many other programs so we have a constant pulse of what's happening. Don't take Cooley not being in the news as a sign he isn't doing all of these same kind of things.
I want a standing ovation during home game 1 then the don't open the game in zone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom