Coach Boeheim | Syracusefan.com

Coach Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuseMan4

Starter
I hate to say it but I’m getting the Bobby Bowden, Frank Beamer feels for him. Boeheim and those guys are absolute legends but over welcomed their stay or didn’t know when to hang it up.

This program has been average and stale over the past 5+ years. I almost get the sense JB is coasting until retirement at this point knowing he’s not going to be fired. I think we need a change, we really do. No reason we should lose to Pitt twice in a season let alone get blown out in one, especially to a Jeff Capel coached team.

We can’t fool ourselves there has been a huge drop off in talent the last 5ish years. JB has been TERRIBLE coaching this season. Like legitimately horrible, I think the game is starting to pass him by a bit. Straight up we need a change or it’s going to be like this until JB retires and it’s just going to be a huge hit to the Syracuse basketball brand. Do we want to be known as an elite program or a program that lives on the bubble every year? Your move JB and Wildhack

I think you nailed it on the game passing him by. This isnt the 90’s and early 2000’s anymore. It’s like he can’t make his mind up on the guards- athletic freaks with no shooting and now we are all shooting with no athletes. Forwards, his formula still works. Centers, he’s a lost cause. I know he knows basketball, I’ve sat around a dinner table with him and listened to him but it’s just passing him by. We all know he is stubborn but it’s getting to the point where he just trying to force a square into a circle and making it a point to be right instead of actually adjusting and fixing. I hope the boosters and fans are blowing the athletic department and online about this because JW needs to see this.
And I’m truly at the point where you can fire JB and there is a proper way to do it. You sit him down and say to him, we need to go in a different direction and we hope you can be on board with us releasing the public statement of it was a mutual decision

JB is and always will be a great coach. But sometimes, teams simply need a change of direction. Look at Theo Epstein with the Red Sox / cubs; even he admits after 10 or so years, franchises need change to keep up with the competition, no matter how successful someone was in the past. Aka bring in some diversity. JB unfortunately does not get that.

I’m a big JB guy but I have wondered this year- no one used to be better at adjusting and drawing up plays. I know the game hadn’t passed him by so, sadly, the conclusion is that the players just aren’t as good. Not hard to see that the two starting guards can be shut down with good D (our third just can’t shoot). I want JB as long as he can go but it’s depressing to wait for the run that doesn’t seem to be possible.

I think you nailed it on the game passing him by. This isnt the 90’s and early 2000’s anymore. It’s like he can’t make his mind up on the guards- athletic freaks with no shooting and now we are all shooting with no athletes. Forwards, his formula still works. Centers, he’s a lost cause. I know he knows basketball, I’ve sat around a dinner table with him and listened to him but it’s just passing him by. We all know he is stubborn but it’s getting to the point where he just trying to force a square into a circle and making it a point to be right instead of actually adjusting and fixing. I hope the boosters and fans are blowing the athletic department and online about this because JW needs to see this.
And I’m truly at the point where you can fire JB and there is a proper way to do it. You sit him down and say to him, we need to go in a different direction and we hope you can be on board with us releasing the public statement of it was a mutual decision
My Father who is 86 and has supported the program for over 60 years has had it and he loves JB.

My Father who is 86 and has supported the program for over 60 years has had it and he loves JB.
Well, your dad isn't too far off. The thing that really bothered me today was the effort. It didn't seem like we wanted the game. Every loose ball went to Pitt. Griffin throws the ball up in the air to avoid a back court and no Syracuse basketball player really wanted to take it. It is very discouraging. I have been around for a long time. I shut the game off. I just don't do that. I didn't like the effort. I am also tired of getting murdered on the boards over and over again.

Well, your dad isn't too far off. The thing that really bothered me today was the effort. It didn't seem like we wanted the game. Every loose ball went to Pitt. Griffin throws the ball up in the air to avoid a back court and no Syracuse basketball player really wanted to take it. It is very discouraging. I have been around for a long time. I shut the game off. I just don't do that. I didn't like the effort. I am also tired of getting murdered on the boards over and over again.
I feel the same way. Also, who cares what the sports-side smoothbrains think anyway :p

The beginning of last season was the first time I was no longer excited for the season to begin. While, I put on every game, I no longer actively watch them. They are just background noise while I do something else. It sucks starting every season knowing Cuse is a bubble team at best.

JB is and always will be a great coach. But sometimes, teams simply need a change of direction. Look at Theo Epstein with the Red Sox / cubs; even he admits after 10 or so years, franchises need change to keep up with the competition, no matter how successful someone was in the past. Aka bring in some diversity. JB unfortunately does not get that.
assistants are all former players, theres no outside perspective and new ideas, just all group think= Stale program

My Dad is 79 and wakes up at 4:30 everyday and goes to bed at 7 or 8 and he’s pretty active and social. That’s all I have to say about this.
Look, I am 65 this week. I had a very active week of work. Something that would not have registered 20 years ago. I am exhausted. Slept till 11 a.m. today. But to be more exact, is anyone as enthusiastic about their job after 10 years as they were in their first? After 20 years? After 30 years? After 40 years? We all know the answer to that question. It would not be natural if you were. Someone needs to have this talk with jb. The program is stale. The program is predictable. How about having a monster guy that can rebound for us? Or bull his way to the hoop? We can't because that guy won't be able to get out on the wings. You give something to get something. And not for nothing, our defense sucks. We wouldn't play a good man to man and we don't play a good zone.

The biggest issue I see is that JB doesn't realize that the 2-3 zone is no longer unique. Players are better shooters today then in the past. Once the zone is extended it is all over because there is no inside game. JB has failed to learn anything new to mix up defenses. His only change is the press. I know coach K learned the 2-3 from JB from their coaching gig with team USA. K uses it along with several other schemes based on game situations. JBs failure to change has made him a below average coach which leads to a below average team. Another thing, JBs failure to call out Buddy for his horrible defense (like he does for so many other players) has soured me on even watching them play anymore. SU basketball was always what got me through the gloomy winter months. Just a sad State of affairs going on with SU basketball.

Yeah. If the last few years weren’t clear enough today cemented JB in that Beamer Bowden territory.

His kid would be excellent too if he had anyone other than JB coaching him and didn’t get misused.

I’m a big JB guy but I have wondered this year- no one used to be better at adjusting and drawing up plays. I know the game hadn’t passed him by so, sadly, the conclusion is that the players just aren’t as good. Not hard to see that the two starting guards can be shut down with good D (our third just can’t shoot). I want JB as long as he can go but it’s depressing to wait for the run that doesn’t seem to be possible.

I remember how terrible Jason Hart was as a freshman. He was freaking AWFUL. But he was allowed to play through his mistakes. I have no doubt in my mind that Kadary couldn‘t be any worse than Jason Hart! Let him learn!!!

Last edited:
Look, I am 65 this week. I had a very active week of work. Something that would not have registered 20 years ago. I am exhausted. Slept till 11 a.m. today. But to be more exact, is anyone as enthusiastic about their job after 10 years as they were in their first? After 20 years? After 30 years? After 40 years? We all know the answer to that question. It would not be natural if you were. Someone needs to have this talk with jb. The program is stale. The program is predictable. How about having a monster guy that can rebound for us? Or bull his way to the hoop? We can't because that guy won't be able to get out on the wings. You give something to get something. And not for nothing, our defense sucks. We wouldn't play a good man to man and we don't play a good zone.

I think JB’s passion is for coaching his son. It’s the cherry on top of a long, successful career. Buddy will finish as one of the most prolific scorers in program history. I think that’s enough for him now.

I think JB’s passion is for coaching his son. It’s the cherry on top of a long, successful career. Buddy will finish as one of the most prolific scorers in program history. I think that’s enough for him now.
Which, if true, would rank as the most selfish thing I’ve ever heard. He’s coaching a D1 basketball program and not his kid’s AAU team.

Yeah Killdozer youre exactly right. JB must think this is still 1988 or something and guys can’t shoot or make plays. The recruiting takes a dive because they literally try to just recruit guys for the zone. Well the zone stinks. Therefore the offense stinks because they player isn’t good enough. I would rather win a game 86-84 playing man to man and actually having it be fun to watch. Even though football stunk the first year or so, they were entertaining BC they scored. This cycle has gone on long enough BC of one persons stubborness

I hate to say it but I’m getting the Bobby Bowden, Frank Beamer feels for him. Boeheim and those guys are absolute legends but over welcomed their stay or didn’t know when to hang it up.

This program has been average and stale over the past 5+ years. I almost get the sense JB is coasting until retirement at this point knowing he’s not going to be fired. I think we need a change, we really do. No reason we should lose to Pitt twice in a season let alone get blown out in one, especially to a Jeff Capel coached team.

We can’t fool ourselves there has been a huge drop off in talent the last 5ish years. JB has been TERRIBLE coaching this season. Like legitimately horrible, I think the game is starting to pass him by a bit. Straight up we need a change or it’s going to be like this until JB retires and it’s just going to be a huge hit to the Syracuse basketball brand. Do we want to be known as an elite program or a program that lives on the bubble every year? Your move JB and Wildhack
"Getting?"

That would be Mr Wildhack’s job. Unfortunately I don’t see that happening. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong. One can only hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom