Coach Boeheim | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love JB but it's time to hang em up. No hard feelings and plenty of legendary coaches have struggled down the end of their careers. Just ready to kick off the next era of SU basketball

It's like we're being held hostage as fans.
This sucks. And it's a shame because Buddy is a legitimately good player, but because his father has seemed to lose all his objectivity as an in-game coach, Buddy gets unjust criticism.

Look, I am 65 this week. I had a very active week of work. Something that would not have registered 20 years ago. I am exhausted. Slept till 11 a.m. today. But to be more exact, is anyone as enthusiastic about their job after 10 years as they were in their first? After 20 years? After 30 years? After 40 years? We all know the answer to that question. It would not be natural if you were. Someone needs to have this talk with jb. The program is stale. The program is predictable. How about having a monster guy that can rebound for us? Or bull his way to the hoop? We can't because that guy won't be able to get out on the wings. You give something to get something. And not for nothing, our defense sucks. We wouldn't play a good man to man and we don't play a good zone.
at his age, with no outside perspective, it's amazing it's not worse

I mean 40 minutes for basically any player is insane. I’m sorry. Why do I have to keep reiterating that?
Fun fact... in SU’s six NCAA Tournament games in 2003, Carmelo played 40 minutes exactly one time. The most important games of the season, and arguably the greatest player in SU history maxed out on minutes once. But Buddy played 40, while having an off night, in an early conference game in January. The mind boggles.

Fun fact... in SU’s six NCAA Tournament games in 2003, Carmelo played 40 minutes exactly one time. The most important games of the season, and arguably the greatest player in SU history maxed out on minutes once. But Buddy played 40, while having an off night, in an early conference game in January. The mind boggles.
Yep. Yeah it’s been years and the game is different, roster, etc etc etc whatever ... but I was thinking that last night. On a Saturday afternoon in January against Pitt in a game that we ended up losing by 20(!), 40 mins.

I mean 40 minutes for basically any player is insane. I’m sorry. Why do I have to keep reiterating that?

Lawrence Moten as a senior in 1995, with Marius Janulis and Lazarus Sims (not the Final Four version, but the guy who the high dribble who got recruited over and almost transferred) behind him: 86% of possible minutes (that is, <35 out of 40).

Current mediocre players: more than that? Why?!

It's ridiculous.

I'm far from beating the "Boeheim's gotta go" drum, I don't even care at this juncture, but the broader point is indisputable: there's an ossified, inflexible basketball mind steering the ship right now.

Yep. Yeah it’s been years and the game is different, roster, etc etc etc whatever ... but I was thinking that last night. On a Saturday afternoon in January against Pitt in a game that we ended up losing by 20(!), 40 mins.
I know why he got 40 yesterday. Jim got fed up with Joe, so once he permanently parked him on the bench Buddy was never coming out again. Because Buddy is playing 2 in this “rotation” and only when a Kadary/Joe combo happens is when he sits.

Of course, he *could* play Griffin at the 2 for a stretch. Which would open up some minutes for Braswell/Newton at the 3. Or he could go Griff at 2, with one of the skinny tall guys at Center, and have Marek/Q at their natural 4/3. But I’m not a coach and I’m sure that’s just crazy talk.

I know why he got 40 yesterday. Jim got fed up with Joe, so once he permanently parked him on the bench Buddy was never coming out again. Because Buddy is playing 2 in this “rotation” and only when a Kadary/Joe combo happens is when he sits.

Of course, he *could* play Griffin at the 2 for a stretch. Which would open up some minutes for Braswell/Newton at the 3. Or he could go Griff at 2, with one of the skinny tall guys at Center, and have Marek/Q at their natural 4/3. But I’m not a coach and I’m sure that’s just crazy talk.
I guess even in the game yesterday it’s just odd to get a full 40 when the game was wrapped up with like at least 3 mins left (closer to 5+... but for the sake of this point). Garbage time for emptying the bench.

I guess even in the game yesterday it’s just odd to get a full 40 when the game was wrapped up with like at least 3 mins left (closer to 5+... but for the sake of this point). Garbage time for emptying the bench.
I’m with ya. It makes no sense. No one on this team should get 40 minutes, ever. No one is that good/in shape, and there are options at all 5 spots for someone to get a breather. That someone got 40 in that disaster yesterday is mind blowing.

Lawrence Moten as a senior in 1995, with Marius Janulis and Lazarus Sims (not the Final Four version, but the guy who the high dribble who got recruited over and almost transferred) behind him: 86% of possible minutes (that is, <35 out of 40).

Current mediocre players: more than that? Why?!

Even more tellingly, Jason Hart saying on the podcast with Devo that Boeheim's only going to play his 7 guys, but only 3 guys on Hart's senior-year team even played as much as 32-33 minutes per game, and those guys were all really good players.

at his age, with no outside perspective, it's amazing it's not worse
My Dad is 86 going on 60. Walks miles each day in the winter rows his boat in the summer. Im 62 and run my company which has offices in the US and internationally which is why im often posting in the middle of the night. Over my career ive logged more than 3m commercial files and probably anther 1m privately.
JB is in better shape than most his age still he isnt a spring chicken. Im sure the travel is hard on him but i dont think the decline in the program is due to his age. I think its due to his stubborn inability to change. As Dino says Red and Rotten, green and growing. The lack of change in Jim has almost become a badge of honor for him. In a weird way his decisions seem to in part be based on defending his stubbornness. I agree his energy level like all of us has faded but his knowledge level has increased. Being a basketball junkie im actually surprised that we havnt seen him mix things up
Be it using limited man D or player rotation. Instead what seems to be happening is Jim becoming even more defensive as he ages, more stubborn and less the innovative coach that made him successful. Its sad and i hope he wakes up before he hangs em up.

Actually, I think JB is catching a Covid inspired break. With this environment, nobody has to address what would likely be much lower attendance due to the performance of the team. People would not be turning out in large numbers to watch this show...
Coaching not problem its cuse not enough talent at Point guard

Love JB but it's time to hang em up. No hard feelings and plenty of legendary coaches have struggled down the end of their careers. Just ready to kick off the next era of SU basketball
The reality of this is a basic life fact. You cannot be what you were in your 40s when you are in your 70s. Im 64 and walking proof of this.

It's like we're being held hostage as fans.
This sucks. And it's a shame because Buddy is a legitimately good player, but because his father has seemed to lose all his objectivity as an in-game coach, Buddy gets unjust criticism.
The conversation went something like this... Dad, I'm stinking the joint up, get me out of the game. Son, I've been stinking the place up for years... get back in there and lay a few more bricks.

Actually, I think JB is catching a Covid inspired break. With this environment, nobody has to address what would likely be much lower attendance due to the performance of the team. People would not be turning out in large numbers to watch this show...

But...if not for COVID, we practice more, and Sidibe never injures his MCL which requires surgery. And, we are rolling and undefeated riding the back of Superman's (Sid's) cape. ;)

I hate to say it but I’m getting the Bobby Bowden, Frank Beamer feels for him. Boeheim and those guys are absolute legends but over welcomed their stay or didn’t know when to hang it up.

This program has been average and stale over the past 5+ years. I almost get the sense JB is coasting until retirement at this point knowing he’s not going to be fired. I think we need a change, we really do. No reason we should lose to Pitt twice in a season let alone get blown out in one, especially to a Jeff Capel coached team.

We can’t fool ourselves there has been a huge drop off in talent the last 5ish years. JB has been TERRIBLE coaching this season. Like legitimately horrible, I think the game is starting to pass him by a bit. Straight up we need a change or it’s going to be like this until JB retires and it’s just going to be a huge hit to the Syracuse basketball brand. Do we want to be known as an elite program or a program that lives on the bubble every year? Your move JB and Wildhack
I don't think the game has passed him by. I think he still has coaching ability when given the tools, but recruiting has not been good, and we don't have the same caliber type of players.

We are also playing guards who have no business starting for a top division 1 team, and with that, he is being stubborn for thinking they are capable of competing with the best. Maybe he just no longer wants to coach and is only doing it for Buddy's sake.

Regardless of what is going on, something clearly is wrong. Without a change made by JB, we will not see the dominance we are used to until he leaves.

Just did some research. The highest this team has been ranked in last 7 years (including this season) is 14th. This tells me a few things - ACC teams are much better. Recruiting has dropped insanely. And the entire year is based on if they make the tournament and do well and that’s all JB cares about. I can’t imagine how mediocre they would be if you take out the cupcake games. But 14th in 7 years? Cmon man make some adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom