Coach K thinks we need to reassess playing college basketball during a pandemic. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Coach K thinks we need to reassess playing college basketball during a pandemic.

These were the same things you and others were saying back in August about college football. Some of the hand wringing was over the top. I don't think there is any doubt that the decision to play football was a win-win for everyone involved - players, coaches, fans and administrators.

I think we need to reassess what is important and what isn't for amateur sports. I actually don't think the college football product was any good. If you are cancelling Ohio St/Michigan game we need to look ourselves in the mirror and ask if it was worth it.

Our enjoyment of these sports is feckless and to blindly say "well they could have opted out" is absurd. Some kids have no choice because it is their future employment at stake.

I do think there is a bit of a disconnect on this site btw actual alumni of Syracuse and fans of the teams. I get why a fan wouldn't care about the school and would only want the sports to continue come hell or high water. I personally think it's not in the best interest of the kids to be playing these games right now. Certainly let them practice, be in their sport bubble, but to try and play games right now is crazy. Push it back till the vaccine can bridge us to better times.

The situation has gotten worse too.

Who knows if K is being selfish in his thoughts here at the core but I don't disagree with him. That or as many have said create a bunch of mini bubbles and have a bubble season or do something different to allow competition but with the reality it won't be a standard season or post season.

You can't grade teams or these games in an environment like this. We try to overlay normalcy on top of this but that is mostly projection because of the need for sanity and normalcy most can't find every day. Let the kids play because they made decisions in large part to play basketball at these institutions, yet let's also be very real about fair play here. SU is a perfect example of a program already impacted by CoVid impacting game results. We are far from the only program.

Now look at all the pauses to boot. It's madness.

Cool if her and K don’t think that they should be playing then they should talk to their administration and postpone their games or cancel their season. Nobody is making Duke play basketball. It’s completely on them, not the NCAA or ACC.

So if they really feel so strongly about it then make it happen. It’s very amusing that K has his womens’s coach and Capel help him carry the flag. Especially when I’m 99% sure his opinion would be different if his team was good.

Last edited:
I think we need to reassess what is important and what isn't for amateur sports. I actually don't think the college football product was any good. If you are cancelling Ohio St/Michigan game we need to look ourselves in the mirror and ask if it was worth it.

Our enjoyment of these sports is feckless and to blindly say "well they could have opted out" is absurd. Some kids have no choice because it is their future employment at stake.

I do think there is a bit of a disconnect on this site btw actual alumni of Syracuse and fans of the teams. I get why a fan wouldn't care about the school and would only want the sports to continue come hell or high water. I personally think it's not in the best interest of the kids to be playing these games right now. Certainly let them practice, be in their sport bubble, but to try and play games right now is crazy. Push it back till the vaccine can bridge us to better times.

The situation has gotten worse too.

Sorry but very unconvincing.
Your whole thesis presupposes that the football players are at far greater risk playing football than not playing football. There is zero evidence of that. Numerous college campuses are overrun with students getting covid. So these players would have more risk playing football than just as a regular student? I think they have less risk playing football. They're highly motivated not to catch it and they have excellent medical care and are tested constantly. SU's LT has less risk than John or Jane in the Newhouse school.

Cool if her and K don’t think that they should be playing then they should talk to their administration and postpone their games or cancel their season. Nobody is making Duke play basketball. It’s completely on them, not the NCAA or ACC.

So if they really feel so strongly about it then make it happen. It’s very amusing that K has his womens’s coach and Capel help him carry the flag. Especially when I’m 99% sure his opinion would be different if his team was good.

If they feel that strongly about then they should send everybody home to hide under their beds. Shut Duke down completely, send the students home. And oh btw refund tuition to the parents and furlough the professors until it's safe for everybody to go back to campus.

Sorry but very unconvincing.
Your whole thesis presupposes that the football players are at far greater risk playing football than not playing football. There is zero evidence of that. Numerous college campuses are overrun with students getting covid. So these players would have more risk playing football than just as a regular student? I think they have less risk playing football. They're highly motivated not to catch it and they have excellent medical care and are tested constantly. SU's LT has less risk than John or Jane in the Newhouse school.
Not if those schools have gone virtual.

We need to play through this as best as we can. Understand it’s not perfect but players are safer getting tested regularly rather than being home unsupervised doing who knows what. Coach K is old and maybe should step down this year if he is worried about himself and let a younger assistant lead.

Every time I have heard K say anything this year it has been prefaced with "If we play," "if we continue to play," "should we play" or "while we are still playing." Just shut up and coach your team or don't.

i honestly don’t have a strong opinion on this...other than the following...

I see a bunch of folks say, “if you are scared, stay home”

then someone decided, you know what...maybe we will, out of precaution, stay home

isnt this what you asked of them to do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom