Coach K thinks we need to reassess playing college basketball during a pandemic. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Coach K thinks we need to reassess playing college basketball during a pandemic.

Really good statement from him.

I hope we’re willing to open up the pocketbook if he wants to come here after JB

Is it just me or does he seem to be talking about Isaiah Jackson when he talks about a kid from Detroit that went to another high major school? Would make sense considering Bama was in his final 3 along with us and Kentucky.

I think we need to reassess what is important and what isn't for amateur sports. I actually don't think the college football product was any good. If you are cancelling Ohio St/Michigan game we need to look ourselves in the mirror and ask if it was worth it.

Our enjoyment of these sports is feckless and to blindly say "well they could have opted out" is absurd. Some kids have no choice because it is their future employment at stake.

I do think there is a bit of a disconnect on this site btw actual alumni of Syracuse and fans of the teams. I get why a fan wouldn't care about the school and would only want the sports to continue come hell or high water. I personally think it's not in the best interest of the kids to be playing these games right now. Certainly let them practice, be in their sport bubble, but to try and play games right now is crazy. Push it back till the vaccine can bridge us to better times.

The situation has gotten worse too.

So selfish. How bout the non football and basketball D1 or College Athletics programs who lost their programs all together. The Women's Soccer programs, the Men's Hockey programs, the Women's Field Hockey programs etc. Think about what the college athletes and their futures.

So selfish. How bout the non football and basketball D1 or College Athletics programs who lost their programs all together. The Women's Soccer programs, the Men's Hockey programs, the Women's Field Hockey programs etc. Think about what the college athletes and their futures.

Right, you just care about the kids’ and their futures.

Darius Bazley

Funny how when it suits your point, you're all about the kids.

But when it affects BB or FB, you're all "Eph the non-revenue sports!"

Right, you just care about the kids’ and their futures.

Darius Bazley

Has nothing to do with playing college sports thru a Pandemic. He didn't handle his situation when it came to JB the coaching staff, his future teammates, and the fan base as a whole right. So I have no problem saying I have rooted against the kid.

Has nothing to do with playing college sports thru a Pandemic. He didn't handle his situation when it came to JB the coaching staff, his future teammates, and the fan base as a whole right. So I have no problem saying I have rooted against the kid.

He “spurned” the school you root for, so you wish for him to fail.

How selfish.

Funny how when it suits your point, you're all about the kids.

But when it affects BB or FB, you're all "Eph the non-revenue sports!"

I have never said "Eph the non-revenue sports !"

I'm pro student athletes and think about their futures and how they have been affected by this pandemic.

Let Oats be out next coach!
Don't forget Boeheim is close friends with Coach K. He probably isn't thrilled with him being called out.
Coach K would have sounded a lot more genuine if he said it before the season and not after 2 losses.

First the Bryant guy quasi calls out JB and now Coach K gets called out. New guard stepping up.

Don't forget Boeheim is close friends with Coach K. He probably isn't thrilled with him being called out.
Coach K would have sounded a lot more genuine if he said it before the season and not after 2 losses.
If Nate Oats doesn't even get a call after JB retires, this will be why, and it will show that JB intends on staying active in 'his' program long after he steps away. Just a wild guess by me, but it's been my biggest fear since we started talking about JB leaving.

Would we have heard from Coach K if his current team was routing all its opponents?
yeah-right-surreeee-meme.png

Would we have heard from Coach K if his current team was routing all its opponents?
View attachment 192765
According to JB, I think the answer would be yes. "Coach K has been very consistent on this from the beginning."

That got me thinking about how Duke handled this from March.

"We emphatically support the decision made by Dr. Price today regarding the suspension of athletic competition at Duke," men's basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski said in the Thursday afternoon statement. "The welfare of our student-athletes, and all students at Duke, is paramount, and this decision reflects that institutional priority. Certainly, I want to applaud Dr. Price, who took a leadership role with his presidential peers and the Atlantic Coast Conference in arriving at this decision.”

I totally get why people think this is just because Duke isn't very good this year, but there are other possibilities.

He's 100% right. The whole thing should be shut down. Try and come back in February. Have teams work out, practice, go home for xmas, etc. This is the darkest period of the virus. There's absolutely no reason we can't shut this down for a period of time to bring it back stronger.
I would agree if we actually had federal leadership and a real nationwide shutdown for several weeks instead of this ad hoc state by state approach. But that’s not going to happen considering the incompetence and negligence of our federal leadership and the politicization of a global public health crisis. History will not be kind to those knee jerk anti-government babies who were more concerned with their “freedoms” than overcoming the worst public health crisis/global pandemic in a century.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom