Coach Mac / recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Coach Mac / recruiting

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
For the veterans of the board ... was there any info on how Coach Mac's first classes were perceived? Was there any buzz on the talent or his style of recruiting? How does Coach Mac's recruiting philosophy compare to HCDM?

CoachMac was a good recruiter from what i remember, worked very hard at it (more so than P) and of course he is personable. He fought a tremendous battle for Tim Green against ND and PSU and won. I remember him pretty much stating in print that they needed to get Tim Green during his recruitment

CoachMac was a good recruiter from what i remember, worked very hard at it (more so than P) and of course he is personable. He fought a tremendous battle for Tim Green against ND and PSU and won. I remember him pretty much stating in print that they needed to get Tim Green during his recruitment
More so than Pasqualoni?

Do you mean more so than DeLeone, Stoudtland, Orgeron et al.

Explain that observation.

In the mid-1980s, there was a lot less info about prospects and early commits and ratings by stars or otherwise. Mac's progress on the field took some time to get going (playing with Maloney's recruits). As I recall, by his 3rd or 4th recruiting class, it was clear that Mac was upgrading the talent -- especially skill positions (WRs, TEs, RBs, DBs, QBs). He had the relations from his time at UMass, the charm to win over parents, and the new Dome.

To be fair, Maloney had brought in Joe Morris, Art Monk, Bill Hurley and others to put together a terrific offense in his last two years. But where Maloney was bringing in 2 or 3 gems in each class, it seemed like Mac was doubling that.

Marrone seems to be getting it going with big guys and defenders -- but not yet with the skill guys (unless you count Broyld and Smallwood who aren't here yet). Presumably, that will happen in November and December.

As has been mentioned recently, Coach Mac brought in "value" players such as Daryl Johnston and Rob Moore, who were not highly recruited.

In that sense, Marrone is following the same pattern that Mac established - the same holds true for Pasqualoni while he was on the Hill.

In My recollection Ivan Fears was the recruiter who brought in the WR'S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom