• His terms

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • Gets a pass this season (Covid)

Votes: 34 25.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had high hopes for Sidibe as well!

what would you have needed to see from him in term of POV and rpg to have high hopes for the season from him?

Who would’ve sat for those 25 to 30 minutes
Everyone. There are enough minutes for Marek, Sidibe, QG, and Griff, plus Kadray and Buddy and Joe. That is only 7 players. I would also like to see some minutes for Braswell mixed in. That shouldn't be a problem.

Everyone. There are enough minutes for Marek, Sidibe, QG, and Griff, plus Kadray and Buddy and Joe. That is only 7 players. I would also like to see some minutes for Braswell mixed in. That shouldn't be a problem.
I feel like if you got let’s say 26 minutes a game Marek would’ve lost Ten! Quincy would’ve lost eight and Griffin would’ve lost eight!

which isn’t bad but I would’ve like to see Buddy in this mix on this and pull the other three minutes pulled down. Griffin would’ve had to play some two for that!

I feel like if you got let’s say 26 minutes a game Marek would’ve lost Ten! Quincy would’ve lost eight and Griffin would’ve lost eight!

which isn’t bad but I would’ve like to see Buddy in this mix on this and pull the other three minutes pulled down. Griffin would’ve had to play some two for that!
I have no problem with Buddy playing less. ^That is for sure.

I don't post very often but when I do I try to be objective. JB built this program, and his loyalty is unprecedented. So I can definitely understand those who want to stand by JB. I guess my question is in what other profession would it be permissible or expected to keep an aging professional (regardless of profession) if the performance wasn't up to par?

Would a prestigious aging surgeon be allowed to perform if his success rate was dipping?
Would an elite car salesman be kept if his numbers sagged for successive years?
Would a tenured teacher be kept if the curriculum was stale and he was not reaching kids?

I guess I'm asking this because I don't really think JB has been recruiting anywhere near to the level he used to, and it's evident in our record and class rankings. For a while we blamed sanctions, but they're over, and he's still not getting it done. Somehow we've grown to accept being a middle of the pack ACC team. Being an average team has never been the SU standard. We were beasts of the East, remember?

So the question then becomes are we better with JB at the helm or hiring someone else? In the short term the answer is probably JB. He's a brilliant coach, and it'll be hard to move on. If we allow JB to stay we'll likely be a middle of the pack team or worse since I don't see the recruiting issue getting any easier. So we've got two options...

1. Keep JB and hover around the tournament bubble for the duration of his tenure.
2. Hire someone new who could lead to a nosedive OR could be a homerun (thinking Louisville right now).

Option one prolongs mediocrity, but honors JB.

Option two might be hard but it gives us a chance to return to prominence sooner rather than delaying the inevitable.

As much as I love JB he can't coach forever. I wish JB was only 60 and we weren't facing this issue because I'd much prefer to return to the glory years and see him win another championship. I just don't think it's in the cards. I voted it's time to move on.

There is an option 3, have JB and Red switch roles and see what happens. We are playing out of position all the time so let's do it for the coaches too. Red calls the shots and JB sits back be the advisor/consigliere. Let's see what happens. Why not? Can't be worse than Marek at the 5 and Buddy at the 3.

It may not be that far fetched. Have a talk with JB, there has to be some changes made. Have him make the announcement, make it his idea, give Red the key, let's see what he is made of, let's see if the team galvanize around Red. This season is a goner, nothing left to lose.

Last edited:
They need to announce his retirement this summer which will happen after the 21-22 season and announce idk Red? as successor.

I don't post very often but when I do I try to be objective. JB built this program, and his loyalty is unprecedented. So I can definitely understand those who want to stand by JB. I guess my question is in what other profession would it be permissible or expected to keep an aging professional (regardless of profession) if the performance wasn't up to par?

Would a prestigious aging surgeon be allowed to perform if his success rate was dipping?
Would a tenured teacher be kept if the curriculum was stale and he was not reaching kids?

I guess I'm asking this because I don't really think JB has been recruiting anywhere near to the level he used to, and it's evident in our record and class rankings. For a while we blamed sanctions, but they're over, and he's still not getting it done. Somehow we've grown to accept being a middle of the pack ACC team. Being an average team has never been the SU standard. We were beasts of the East, remember?

So the question then becomes are we better with JB at the helm or hiring someone else? In the short term the answer is probably JB. He's a brilliant coach, and it'll be hard to move on. If we allow JB to stay we'll likely be a middle of the pack team or worse since I don't see the recruiting issue getting any easier. So we've got two options...

1. Keep JB and hover around the tournament bubble for the duration of his tenure.
2. Hire someone new who could lead to a nosedive OR could be a homerun (thinking Louisville right now).

Option two might be hard but it gives us a chance to return to prominence sooner rather than delaying the inevitable.

As much as I love JB he can't coach forever. I wish JB was only 60 and we weren't facing this issue because I'd much prefer to return to the glory years and see him win another championship. I just don't think it's in the cards. I voted it's time to move on.

Post more often. That was a very fair, reasonable assessment.

Look at what Purdue did with Gene Keady in 2004.

They wanted him gone. The school hired Matt Painter as HCIW and associate HC when he was a HC at another school Southern Illinois and gave Keady one final season as HC and let Painter recruit for the following season while serving Keady’s last season as HC as an assistant.
I wish we could do that with JB. However I don’t think he would take kindly to his successor recruiting while he was HC.

They wanted him gone. The school hired Matt Painter as HCIW and associate HC when he was a HC at another school Southern Illinois and gave Keady one final season as HC and let Painter recruit for the following season while serving Keady’s last season as HC as an assistant.
I wish we could do that with JB. However I don’t think he would take kindly to his successor recruiting while he was HC.
I am borrowing this to send to someone who asked how SU can handle this

While JB has probably dragged out his career a few years longer than he should have, he really should have one more year. Get the crowds back and the Dome and give him a glorious send off with 37,000 fans the first Saturday in March 2022.

He should not coach beyond next year. It’s time to end the Boeheim era. I just hope we can make the NCAAT next year, as I’d hate to see him go out not playing in the tournament the last few years of his career.

Its a simple question as to what people think is best going forward. Doesnt mean its right or wrong. Fans can have opinions on things like this without it being foolish.
The post to which you responded was a passive aggressive defense of JB.

A fairly obvious spin on the "He's won 1000 games, how many have you won?" trope

I am borrowing this to send to someone who asked how SU can handle this
It’s all good. It’s just a factual summary of how Purdue handled their last coaching transition.
They didn’t want to embarrass their legend but wanted to move on. So they gave him one last year.

The post to which you responded was a passive aggressive defense of JB.

A fairly obvious spin on the "He's won 1000 games, how many have you won?" trope
Yea I figured id get some crap for this thread...I went back and forth about posting it but I figured it was a fair poll. I didn't bash JB and honestly I'm not afraid to admit that I don't have the answers (and I don't pretend I do) but wanted to see where most stand on this. Touchy subject for some on here.

Yea I figured id get some crap for this thread...I went back and forth about posting it but I figured it was a fair poll. I didn't bash JB and honestly I'm not afraid to admit that I don't have the answers (and I don't pretend I do) but wanted to see where most stand on this. Touchy subject for some on here.

I don’t think the results are a legit representation of the fans opinions though .. I think most people participating are predisposed to vote A

I always wanted Cuse to do the Keady-to-Painter transition with JB and Hop. And we basically had that succession plan until Hop bolted.

We should also recruit well enough where we have a competent backup center that the coach is comfortable playing if ish hits the fan like it did with Bourama.
Let's be honest, some of our most promising seasons were derailed when a key player went down and we had no one prepared to step in. It's one of the biggest drawbacks to the short JB rotations.

JB has a floor. He’s not going to field a team that’s going to be much worse than .500 in conference play.

Given our recruiting, he also has a ceiling. Hard to see us being much better than, say, 12-8 in conference play, and maybe a #7 or #8 seed in the tourney.

It’s not the end of the world, many programs would be fine with that.

Next coach could definitely we worse, no one with any sense wouldn’t know that.
We’re the Joey Knish of college hoops

I always wanted Cuse to do the Keady-to-Painter transition with JB and Hop. And we basically had that succession plan until Hop bolted.
If you think Hop just up and bolted you are sorely mistaken!

Maybe I just can't remember, but has there ever been a very successful coach in BBall or FB at JB's age? As a person, he's is just a great man, but as a coach at his age? I don't think so. I think it requires more energy than he has to give and I really question if he has the motivation after all these years even if he did have the energy. It appears he is not mellowing but instead he is getting less patient, more stubborn, and more cantankerous. I'm pretty sure it happens to all of us and I speak from experience, although I am still 10+ years away from his age. Unless JB finds a fountain of youth, it appears the program is on a downward trajectory.

I think JW has a tough job as he is walking a razor thin line between loyalty and program crash and burn. This will play out the way JW makes it play out. I'm sure he has a plan but I have no idea (nor should I) if it is carved in stone or whether it is fluid depending on results, etc.

It seems the Orange face issues on two levels.
The coaching level.
And the talent level.

Until the past couple of seasons it seemed to me that Boeheim did some of his best coaching when he had the least talent.
It's as if he stepped up...his contributions became all that more important when he had less to work with.
Don't know if that's still true.

But the talent level issue was driven home last night watching Gonzaga-Loyola Marymount.
I recalled that Mark Few had offered a scholarship to Buddy Boeheim.
I'm not a Buddy knocker...I think he plays up to his ability and he's had some big games.
But if he was on this Gonzaga team he'd be lucky to see the court.

Granted, Gonzaga is the best team in the country.
But there was a time...when SU squared off against those kind of teams... fans had no doubt that the Orange could win.
The attitude was "bring 'em on!"
Now????

A big part of the problem is the talent deficit.
It's not just Buddy who wouldn't get PT with Gonzaga.
None of the SU players would.
(OK, Marek might get a few minutes off the bench).
And even 12-8 Loyola Marymount had a couple of bigs the Orange would love to have.

It's tough to win when you don't have the talent to effectively compete.
I'll leave it to others to point fingers for that.

Braswell better start knocking some shots down if he wants anything more than spot minutes.

JB is 76 . has more money than he could ever spend. he clearly doesn't seem to be into this gig anymore. my advice is to move south do some golfing and spend what time you have left enjoying life .
He would never leave Syracuse!

While JB has probably dragged out his career a few years longer than he should have, he really should have one more year. Get the crowds back and the Dome and give him a glorious send off with 37,000 fans the first Saturday in March 2022.

He should not coach beyond next year. It’s time to end the Boeheim era. I just hope we can make the NCAAT next year, as I’d hate to see him go out not playing in the tournament the last few years of his career.
I actually like this scenario the best. One year more, and give him a huge send off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom